HSK 1 - practice for writing grammatically correct sentences

Good morning, all:

I have been learning Chinese online and have recently got to about an HSK1 level. While I am now (somewhat!) confident that I know the characters, I’d still like more practice on how to use them properly in sentences.

Ideally, I’m looking for a website or workbook that provides multiple short HSK1 level sentences in English that need to be translated in Chinese. I feel like that would help me get an idea of how Chinese sentences are structured grammatically. I do try to read on DuChinese, but I feel a more active approach would work best for me.

Any thoughts on where I might find what I’m after would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

The only way to really be able to write (output; this includes speech, really) accurately is to expose yourself to messages (written or spoken; if you’re learning to write at higher levels than just being able to write a correct sentence using characters, this becomes more important as writing is less like speech then) you can understand. Input is what creates output, after there’s enough of it.

Read. Read. Listen. Listen. Read some more.

1 Like

Switch YouTube for bili bili and ixigua.com, find chinese or taiwanese websites that have content that you are interested in but in Chinese language, just generally increase your exposure.

Translation is a different skill entirely. You could find some english youtube channels and offer to create chinese subtitles for their videos.

1 Like

I’ve been looking recently for grammar study tools. A slight problem I’ve found is that HSK is China and simplified focused and not so common in Taiwan. So many apps, books, etc. use simplified and Chinese slanguage. But maybe that is what you want.

Taiwan has a similar system TOCFL Chinese Language Proficiency Test Options