HTC is gone

Still do

That’s what I just said. They make bikes as good as anybody in the world TODAY.

Not even Shenzhen anymore. SZ has developed into a flourishing services economy. Manufacturing is in Dongguan and elsewhere

Dongguan was (and maybe still is - I don’t know) one of the prostitution capitals of the world. I guess the fact that there were lots of Taiwanese male ‘expats’ in Dongguan without their wives in tow made for a good market for such services.

Some Taiwanese OEMs are slowly starting to develop their own brands, but it’s uncharted territory for most of them.

Just curious, please name names. examples?

na, they cleaned it up a long time ago. Biggest difference was Shenzhen government decided it wanted to be a high tech services economy and kicked out the factories.

TWSBI is probably one of the bigger success stories.

Fountain pens & note books, right? Fine but hardly a growth industry. Another name that comes to mind is Kavalan Whiskey.

Fountain pens are a niche, but surprisingly a growing market again.

There are a few examples. I came across a rain-gear company a few years ago that was trying it as well. Some companies are slowly dipping their toes in the water.

there are dozens of examples.
Acer, Asustek, Gigabyte, Microstar, HTC all started out as OEM and then went into own-brand.
Even Hon Hai (called Foxconn overseas) is dabbling a bit into own-brand (LED TVs, I believe).
Same with Giant, which OEM’d for Schwinn in like the 1980s or so before going out on its own (though it pretty much had to, as Schwinn dropped them).
Not unchartered territory. It’s a well-worn path.
Usually the only way up the business chain-ladder is to try and develop your own brand.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m well aware of all those brands and they’ve been around for a long time. But SlowRain is implying that there are new brands that many of us haven’t yet heard of, just starting to emerge. At least that’s what I thought SlowRain meant. Maybe I misunderstood.

1 Like

There’s some hiking brands like atunas, dont know how big they are overseas though ?

Jump Sportshoes.
Famous in Taiwan. Made in Taiwan . :slight_smile:

Yes, I figured it was a strange statement, too, because he said the OEMs going into own-brand means they are in unchartered territory. Well, of course they are. They’ve never done such a thing. So, it was weird reading that.

It’s daunting for OEMs to strike out on their own into the international marketplace, especially if they are family-owned or family-operated. There doesn’t seem to be that international drive here. Perhaps it has just been in a lull for a while. It may be picking up, which would be nice.

I’m not sure I want Taiwan to go the route of South Korea, though.

Taiwan shudda patented bubble milk tea.

1 Like

Yes, Atunas is well known in Taiwan but virtually non-existent outside of Taiwan. I think the same also applies to Jump Sportshoes. That’s the problem with many of these Taiwan brands. Just can’t compete globally.

Taiwan has some strong brands in China like 85ćșŠc. In fact a lot of the tea places have done a good job branding throughout China, Asia, the world recently.

Taung has an American department for branding their rice cooker and they do an amazing job. Its big with Asian communities in the West. The branding is separate from the Taiwan brand

1 Like

Yeah I heard 85C is very successful in the US.

I mean how bad are the bread and cakes and coffee in the US anyway cos this doesn’t compute for me !

Coco is very successful in Asia I see their outlets all over the place.

1 Like