Hualien touristy places?

I am getting married soon and am taking my fiancee to Hualien for Taroko Gorge. Being a bit of a Taiwanese geographic know-nothing though…was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Are there any fun things that are accessible by public transportation to tourists in Taiwan that you’d consider worth visiting if you had three days to spend there?

If you and your fiancee are relatively fit and aren’t afraid of heights, the best way to enjoy Taroko is by hiking up the Zhuilu Old Trail, which is several hundred meters above the main road. You’ll need to apply for a mountain entry permit in advance, but trust me, all the mafan will be worth it. As for lodging, I highly recommend Silks Place. It’s not cheap, but you’ll be WITHIN the gorge. Swimming in the outdoor pool under the stars and listening to the streaming water was a pretty amazing experience. The hotel also has bikes you can rent to get to other hiking trails.

I would actually recommend Leader Village as you get a beautiful detached cabin surrounded by high mountains with a good chance of wildlife coming right up to your door. Another good option is Rihang, as he has a great bike scheme where he takes you up anywhere in the gorge in his van and drops you off with bikes. You just cruise down, stopping wherever. I had his drop me off at the Lushui-Heliu Trail and my bike at the end so I could continue afterwards. He also does this for the Zhuilu Trail.

rihang.wordpress.com

I would also consider contacting to do a private river trace. This can be just a simple walk up to a gorgeous waterfall pool or wild hot spring.
hualienoutdoors.org

You can rent good bikes in Hualien to ride around. Lots of nice bike only routes.

Agree with a nice river trace. Famous is Mugumuyu, though you need to register (in Chinese) at the police office of TongMen. (check the “Living Hualien” FB-page. There is info on how to do this in one of the earlier posts)
Zhuilu old trail is closed at the moment, and last time it was opened it you could only walk up (from the steep side) to the narrow cliff-road and turn back.
Last week there also was a landslide near swallow grotto that blocked the road to TIanxiang. They are working hard to open the road back up since a lot of tourist wanting to go to Taroko. So before you go best to check the Taroko website or call ahead about which trails are open.

A bikeride through the ricefields north of town is highly recommended, and you can also cycle all the way from Chisingtan south along the coast on a bikelane.
In town I recommend visiting A-zone, a former wine-factory turned art-zone, and Pine tree garden where Japanese kamikaze pilots got their last massages.
Most exciting things and sights are a bit out of town, so I recommend renting a scooter and visit the places marked on the maps you can get at the tourist information center.

You can take Taiwantrip Buslines. There are two lines in Hualien.

1. Taroko LIne: taiwantrip.com.tw/busline_post_e1.html
    The buses run mainly through the Taroko scenic area. Click here for the time schedule: taiwantrip.hello-world.asia/sche … ute_tw.pdf
    You can purchase a one-day or two-day ticket at the Hualien Bus Station for UNLIMITED rides or pay one way ticket when you get on the bus.

2. Hualien Line: taiwantrip.com.tw/busline_post_e2.html
    The buses run through the Hualien valley. Click here for the time schedule: taiwantrip.hello-world.asia/sche … ien_tw.pdf
    You pay one-way ticket when you get one the bus. Cash and Easy Cards are all accepted. There are no one-day or two-day ticket for this route.

I like to share with all of you guys, I have been visited Taiwan and had great fun with my friends. but still yet. I have never driven Car here. I am a traveling lover so I have just enjoyed the trip in my bus tours. so I feel bus tours batter, then and joyful… what’s your point about it?

Always wanted to go to Hualien. Hot springs are my thing. Following.