Huayu Enrichment Scholarship 2016-2017

Congratulations everyone! I got the 9 month scholarship from the UK office which is the longest one we have here this year, so I’m over the moon! I’ll be at CLD from September.

Hey again,

Luckily, I got the scholarship for 6 months only. I wanna take the intensive course. Is there any chance to prolong it after 6 months considering that I would study hard and have perfect grades? Anybody tried or have such experience? Thanks a lot!

Has anybody started applying for a visa yet? From my research it seems like one should apply for a 90-day visitor visa, specifying Chinese studies as your purpose, extend it before it runs out and then apply for ARC before the second period runs out.

Does anyone know if you would still need a departure ticket when doing it this way? I could of course buy a cheap flight to HK with a departure date close to the end my first 90 days, but I would rather not spend that money.

[quote=“macsund”]Has anybody started applying for a visa yet? From my research it seems like one should apply for a 90-day visitor visa, specifying Chinese studies as your purpose, extend it before it runs out and then apply for ARC before the second period runs out.

Does anyone know if you would still need a departure ticket when doing it this way? I could of course buy a cheap flight to HK with a departure date close to the end my first 90 days, but I would rather not spend that money.[/quote]

I was wondering this too. Was looking at youth mobility visas as well, as I may want to stay on a while to work when I’ve finished studying, has anyone ever applied for one of those? Or are we limited to the visitor one?

[quote=“limoo”]Hey I am a Polish citizen and I wanted to apply for Huayu Enrichment Scholarship this year. I contacted Taiwan Trade Office in Poland and they refused me to accept my application because I study in Sweden and not in Poland. According to the general rules of the Ministry of Education, I am applicable because I have either high school diploma and Bachelor diploma from polish university, however Taiwan Trade office established some special bilateral agreement with Ministry of Education in Poland and on the basis of this agreement they only accept CURRENT Polish students. The candidates are elected by Polish side and they also refused to accept my application. At the same time I cannot apply for this scholarship at the Taiwan Trade Centre in Stockholm because I am not a Swedish citizen.

Did somebody here had similar problem? Is there any way to get around of this issue?

Thanks a lot![/quote]

Hey, I have kinda similar situation like yours, just at the end it went fine for me. I am Lithuanian citizen, got high school diploma in Lithuania, but for bachelor and master I studied in Netherlands, there wasn’t any problem for application, and today I received a notice from embassy that I got HES scholarship. Going to Taiwan in September !

I got HES scholarship to study in Taiwan from 2016 September till 2017 June, for 9 months, in National Taipei University of Education. Guess there is more students coming from September. Maybe we can collaborate and try to look for a flat to rent together? Thought it could be easier.

Hi all,

I also received a 9-month scholarship from the TECO office in NYC. I am doing the ICLP at NTU. I understand that in order to receive the scholarship, candidates (at least in my district) need to pass a TOCFL Level 3, cannot miss a certain number of class hours, and must set up a bank account in Taiwan. Does anyone know anything about these requirements? Apparently there is a TOCFL on 11/2/2016, which is 2 months after my scholarship is supposed to start. I wonder if this is too late for TECO. Thanks!

[quote=“YongHeDouJiang”]Hi all,

I also received a 9-month scholarship from the TECO office in NYC. I am doing the ICLP at NTU. I understand that in order to receive the scholarship, candidates (at least in my district) need to pass a TOCFL Level 3, cannot miss a certain number of class hours, and must set up a bank account in Taiwan. Does anyone know anything about these requirements? Apparently there is a TOCFL on 11/2/2016, which is 2 months after my scholarship is supposed to start. I wonder if this is too late for TECO. Thanks![/quote]

Like I understood we need to pass language exam at the end of our studies, if we study for 9 and more months, I guess it is in May or so. Can’t miss 12 hours lessons per month (4 days), if we miss it without important reason, they wouldn’t give scholarship for one month as a penalty. And our scholarship will be transferred every month in Taiwanese bank account, so we need bank account for that.

[quote=“Maninis”][quote=“YongHeDouJiang”]Hi all,

I also received a 9-month scholarship from the TECO office in NYC. I am doing the ICLP at NTU. I understand that in order to receive the scholarship, candidates (at least in my district) need to pass a TOCFL Level 3, cannot miss a certain number of class hours, and must set up a bank account in Taiwan. Does anyone know anything about these requirements? Apparently there is a TOCFL on 11/2/2016, which is 2 months after my scholarship is supposed to start. I wonder if this is too late for TECO. Thanks![/quote]

Like I understood we need to pass language exam at the end of our studies, if we study for 9 and more months, I guess it is in May or so. Can’t miss 12 hours lessons per month (4 days), if we miss it without important reason, they wouldn’t give scholarship for one month as a penalty. And our scholarship will be transferred every month in Taiwanese bank account, so we need bank account for that.[/quote]

That’s how the rules are for my scholarship as well, but I have heard about other people from the US mention that they have to pass a chinese test to apply for it. So it seems like the requirements may vary.

Hey guys!

So glad to see there’s so many of us who got the scholarship. Congratulations everyone!

[quote=“macsund”]Has anybody started applying for a visa yet? From my research it seems like one should apply for a 90-day visitor visa, specifying Chinese studies as your purpose, extend it before it runs out and then apply for ARC before the second period runs out.

Does anyone know if you would still need a departure ticket when doing it this way? I could of course buy a cheap flight to HK with a departure date close to the end my first 90 days, but I would rather not spend that money.[/quote]
In case you haven’t sorted it out by now… When I studied in Taiwan in 2014 I traveled with a return ticket, but at least I can tell you the departure date doesn’t need to fall within your first 90 days, since the visa is extendable anyways (as far as Taiwanese immigration is concerned). The airline did make some fuss about it though, but after showing them the admission letter and explaining what the FR visa code meant they let me board without signing a waiver.

On another note, I think I read we needed to show sufficient funds on a Taiwanese bank account to get an ARC. How do you set one up and once you do can you just deposit the amount you need to show in cash or transfer it via Paypal?

I also read we were required to join the National Health Insurance Program. I got the scholarship for 6 months but am planning to study for 1 year, does anyone have any idea if I have to/can be on the program for the remaining 6 months?

[quote=“MadMax”]Hey guys!

So glad to see there’s so many of us who got the scholarship. Congratulations everyone!

In case you haven’t sorted it out by now… When I studied in Taiwan in 2014 I traveled with a return ticket, but at least I can tell you the departure date doesn’t need to fall within your first 90 days, since the visa is extendable anyways (as far as Taiwanese immigration is concerned). The airline did make some fuss about it though, but after showing them the admission letter and explaining what the FR visa code meant they let me board without signing a waiver.

On another note, I think I read we needed to show sufficient funds on a Taiwanese bank account to get an ARC. How do you set one up and once you do can you just deposit the amount you need to show in cash or transfer it via Paypal?

I also read we were required to join the National Health Insurance Program. I got the scholarship for 6 months but am planning to study for 1 year, does anyone have any idea if I have to/can be on the program for the remaining 6 months?[/quote]

I ended up just booking a cheap return ticket as I needed one for my visa application apparently.

My understanding was that we could only join the National Health Insurance after getting our ARC, so you would only get it for the last 6 months if that is true.

Hi everyone!
It’s a great thing I found this topic.
I’m from Vietnam and just got the HES scholarship for 12 months from 2016 Sep to 2017 August.
I will be studying at the CLD of NTU from the beginning level.
Is there anyone of the same studying level coming to the same center this September? I hope we can set up a study group or so.
Btw, as I know, we need to pay for the tuition fee and the living expense for the first month (or even the first two months) before receiving the scholarship. Yet I am not confident when carrying too much cash with me. Is there a way to set up a bank account in Taiwan and transfer money to it before coming to Taipei?
Thanks!