Huayu Enrichment Scholarship 2016-2017

Hi guys!

I posted this on an old thread but it seems it got lost there xD. I was planning to apply for the 2016-2017 scholarship but first I want to make sure I am eligible to do so. According to this english.moe.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem= … 10634&mp=1, candidates who ‘‘are registered as students at a Mandarin Training Center’’ may not apply. I’ve studied at 師大’s MTC for two terms ( I’m back in my country now) and I guess they keep my student records on file and if I take classes there again I’d be a ‘returning student’ and have the old student number I was registered with. So my question is xD, do you guys know if this restriction refers to having EVER studied at a MTC or to being CURRENTLY enrolled/taking a course at one?

I’d really appreciate some help !

Hey I am a Polish citizen and I wanted to apply for Huayu Enrichment Scholarship this year. I contacted Taiwan Trade Office in Poland and they refused me to accept my application because I study in Sweden and not in Poland. According to the general rules of the Ministry of Education, I am applicable because I have either high school diploma and Bachelor diploma from polish university, however Taiwan Trade office established some special bilateral agreement with Ministry of Education in Poland and on the basis of this agreement they only accept CURRENT Polish students. The candidates are elected by Polish side and they also refused to accept my application. At the same time I cannot apply for this scholarship at the Taiwan Trade Centre in Stockholm because I am not a Swedish citizen.

Did somebody here had similar problem? Is there any way to get around of this issue?

Thanks a lot!

@limoo: I hope you were able to apply in the end!

So I applied for the scholarship in February and been told that they’d contact me in April to let me know whether I’d been selected or not, but haven’t heard from the office yet. Did anyone get any news?

Hi! I applied through my university but havent heard anything at all yet…starting to wonder if I should be worried! I hope they got everything OK. I applied to the London office.

Hey there! The earliest I’ve seen someone contacted in the UK on this forum was April 15th, so I wouldn’t worry. Btw, are you planning to study in Taipei or elsewhere in the country? Good luck!!

Thanks, that’s good to hear! I’m planning to study in Taipei, at CLD. I asked for the maximum 9 months, but from what I’ve read they often give out shorter ones I think. How about you?

I’ve heard really good things about CLD! I’m going to study at NTNU since I took a course there for a term last time and it was quite good. Hopefully I’ll get the scholarship and stay for a year this time.

Any one here from Canada? Have you gotten replies yet? When?
Do they notify rejected applicants?

[quote=“Listen”]Any one here from Canada? Have you gotten replies yet? When?
Do they notify rejected applicants?[/quote]

No replies yet - I have no idea if they notify you if you don’t get it. My guess is no. Also, I think the timelines are different depending on which office in Canada you sent it to. There’s Western and Eastern Canada. I know Western isn’t supposed to hear anything until the tail end of may. No clue for Eastern.

[quote=“Listen”]Any one here from Canada? Have you gotten replies yet? When?

Also, if you haven’t received a reply by the end of may, I think it’s reasonable to email them and inquire. :slight_smile:

[quote=“glacialflames”][quote=“Listen”]Any one here from Canada? Have you gotten replies yet? When?

No replies yet - I have no idea if they notify you if you don’t get it. My guess is no. Also, I think the timelines are different depending on which office in Canada you sent it to. There’s Western and Eastern Canada. I know Western isn’t supposed to hear anything until the tail end of may. No clue for Eastern.[/quote]
Thanks! Good to know. I’m in Quebec and they said they would notify us by the end of April so I’m getting pretty anxious.

Good luck!

Hey - I just got word from the NY office that I got the scholarship for this summer. I have a quick question for guys though - should I accept it now if I’m planning to go back to Taiwan for longer term study, or decline and apply again in hopes of getting more money?

[quote=“Listen”][quote=“glacialflames”][quote=“Listen”]Any one here from Canada? Have you gotten replies yet? When?

No replies yet - I have no idea if they notify you if you don’t get it. My guess is no. Also, I think the timelines are different depending on which office in Canada you sent it to. There’s Western and Eastern Canada. I know Western isn’t supposed to hear anything until the tail end of may. No clue for Eastern.[/quote]
Thanks! Good to know. I’m in Quebec and they said they would notify us by the end of April so I’m getting pretty anxious.

Good luck![/quote]

Thanks!

I think you can definitely send them email at the end if April if you haven’t heard anything :slight_smile: I’m still bitinh my nails over the decision out here in the West (I’m in Alberta). We have to wait another month :0

Don’t you have to wait a whole year to apply again? I would think accepting would be a plan given the wait and uncertainty involved…

Hey, I got my scolarship to but from march to august 2017. I’m starting studies in july this year, that’s a bit weird don’t you guys think?

This way you’ll have something to build on, I guess.

I was just notified that I got the scholarship for 12 months! Can’t wait.

Hope it works out just as well for every one else.

[quote=“Listen”]I was just notified that I got the scholarship for 12 months! Can’t wait.

Hope it works out just as well for every one else.[/quote]

My friend also got notified he received the scholarship for 12 months - good luck everyone!

My friend also recently received a 12 month scholarship - good luck everyone!

Seems like I will be getting a 6 month scholarship instead of the 12 month I applied. Gotta say that I am a little bit disappointed, but still a lot better than nothing I guess :slight_smile: