Huayu Enrichment Scholarship eligibility?

I’m looking to make a return trip to Taiwan after my upcoming graduation and I through research found the HES scholarships.

I am an ABC… kind of. My dad is ethnically Chinese but was born/raised in Indonesia and can’t speak mandarin. My mom is Taiwanese (passport and everything). I am a US citizen and am not an RoC national. The HES rules state that Overseas Chinese and ROC nationals are ineligible. Since my dad identifies more as Indonesian (and now American) and I didn’t grow up learning Mandarin, does this mean I’m ineligible solely on the basis of my blood?

The answer will be here perhaps:

Nationality Act

Hmm, that law seems a bit confusing, but I guess all sings are pointing to no. Thanks for the help!

Eh, you can always try. A friend of mine’s studying uni here as an international student. He had the option of going in as an overseas chinese but chose to be international.

I think you actually qualify for ROC citizenship through your mom though, so you might be ineligible through that. Tho why the government has to know if your mom has US citizenship too…

So, in translations, does nationality equate to citizenship? I was under the impression that any ROC citizenship jus sanguinis, if not claimed by the age of 20, was null…

No idea. But I do know that there’s a 99% chance where if you don’t mention it, they won’t check it and find out.