Huge age difference on this board and PTT or does the culture result in vastly different topics?

I was asking why differences in topics and (to me) so much talk about Politics in here and I got some replies above about why so it answers my question I guess. PTT I can see more than politics (there is for sure political chat) as there are what seems thousands of posts on other topics.

This is partially true. They do discuss both sides on PTT, it all depends on what you look at. The anti gay stuff or political I just do not look at. For female comments there is a bigger base there and related comments (and yes males seem to be more homophobic in posting so it would nice having more females). I can find more information and just decline the discussions off topic for me

1 Like

I think the real question you are asking isnā€™t so much why PTT talks about all sorts of things but why forumosa has so much political talk to it. My guess is that other topics exhaust themselves quickly (how do I do this in Taiwan? Whatā€™s the best Indian food?) but politics is the one area that can spawn unlimited debate. And there isnā€™t anything else that forms a common basis for the ppl here so political discussion is the only thing ppl can continually talk about.

3 Likes

Yeah, I understood that. I was just surprised to learn that you were even comparing a Chinese-language site aimed at Taiwanese locals with an English-language site aimed at expats to begin with. I would expect that difference alone to answer your question, since it would seem to account for a much larger difference in user demographics than things like average age or gender distribution would, right?

3 Likes

I learned something interesting today. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You lucky @!#&$!&*!

1 Like

Talking of threads I bet that the Brexit thread will never die :rofl:
Some other threads here are pretty long too. Political threads seem to go on a lot longer than mundane things like ā€œGirlfriend is ignoring my messages what to doā€ type of threads.

1 Like

Gangsters

3 Likes

How many do you need ? :joy:

Thatā€™s always the problem, isnā€™t it

1 Like

Yeah used to be , I think Taipei is a bit calmer than in our youthful times , not saying we are old ā€¦
Family or gangsters was definitely one of the main reasons or family who are gangsters.

2 Likes

Everybody probably has a couple :slight_smile: But thereā€™s always a better way, fun aside :slight_smile: Maybe flowers in this case

1 Like

Areā€¦are you affecting a sailorā€™s accent?

2 Likes

Well partial agreement as some is to culture, but age I think does factor into it. I see younger Americans here in Taiwan talk less about politics and more about travel and dates, while older one like over 30 talk more.

Dates, prunes, figs, raisinsā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m well over 30 and even I would agree that there is much more political talk (especially on the conservative end of things) here than among the general expat population. Filtering out some of the worst-offending categories and users makes for a far more palatable experience overall.

2 Likes

Glad thereā€™s none of that on here, is it forum rules or the high quality of members that makes it so?

2 Likes

Native english speakers just know gay means happy too. and who is anti happy?

2 Likes

Yes, what you say is very true! I do like chat about food and local life but sometimes do click other topics which have lots of comments.

Central News Agency reporter Wu Jiahao, Taipei, 26th) The domestic well-known BBS community platform Pikki Industrial Square (PTT) had previously suspended accepting new account applications due to excessive account registration. Today, the station announced that registration will be fully opened from now on, and non-National Taiwan University students can also use e-mail and AOTP mobile phone authentication.

1 Like