Human Rights Advisory Committee Disbanded by President

How can they possibly put a positive spin on this?

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003308784

I had been lobbying hard for a member of the forumosa.com team to be appointed to that committee, but I guess my remarks fell upon deaf ears.

Well, so much for a growing awareness of “human rights protections” emerging from the Presidential Office …

Any new suggestions anyone???

[quote=“Eric W. Lier”]How can they possibly put a positive spin on this?
[/quote]
Um… by pointing out that it was a completely fake organization that existed only to get funding. It did nothing more than meet occasionally, at which meetings virtually the only concrete thing discussed was where and when to hold the next meeting.
But please don’t take my word on it. Write an email to the Prez. Office and ask to see a list of CONCRETE actions taken by this organization over the last six years. Prepare to be underwhelmed.

[quote=“Hartzell”]I had been lobbying hard for a member of the forumosa.com team to be appointed to that committee, but I guess my remarks fell upon deaf ears.

Well, so much for a growing awareness of “human rights protections” emerging from the Presidential Office …

Any new suggestions anyone???[/quote]Considering that the Taiwan is only a protectorate of the USA, it doesn’t have any more right setting up “human right commitees” than it has handing out ROC passports.

[quote]Any new suggestions anyone???[/quote] :help:
I feel no further progress towards human or civil rights in Taiwan is possible through internal political or legal means.

If the current rate of regression continues, Taiwan may become worse under it’s current pseudo-democratic system than under the previous authoritarian one.

[quote=“Eric W. Lier”][quote]Any new suggestions anyone???[/quote] :help:
I feel no further progress towards human or civil rights in Taiwan is possible through internal political or legal means.

If the current rate of regression continues, Taiwan may become worse under it’s current pseudo-democratic system than under the previous authoritarian one.[/quote]

Yep so bad here I’ve decided it would be in all our best interests if we all move to Sudan and Syria

Don’t weep too much over this. All this committee was, was:
One: a chance to go hear Crazy Annette talk nonsense for an hour or two, while nodding from time to time, and then, as a prize, have one of those salmonella infected government lunch boxes that the wise and wary toss in the trash uneaten.

Two: a nice big title to add to your already crowded name card

Three: sign off on some vague nonsense filled White Paper

Four: a mechanism to get tax payers money to fund your own Mom and Pop Human Right NGO. How you worked this angle was after the meeting schmooze up to Crazy Annette or her handler (whose name eludes me right this minute) and tell them you want to “form an NGO to look into the issue of human rights violations that occur in Aboriginal Dwarf Tossing events in Yunlin and then present your findings to the United Nations Human Rights Commission (the key mantra is “UN, UN, UN”,) and so esteemed Inventor of Human Rights Ms. Vice President Luo may I have a nice big bite from the pork barrel of taxpayer money”. And Crazy Annette will say “sure”, to show her Imperial beneficence. You are expected to kiss her ring and tell her how her fake tatooed on eyebrows along with the high gloss blue eye shadow look “very natural and attractive”.

You probably think I am kidding about this, but I am not. The reason the LY wants this shut down is because:
a. they despise Crazy Annette and
b. they don’t want Crazy Annette just giving away money

yours in NGO economics,
Brian
p.s. the real ass kicking government human rights committee is the Executive Yuan one—the one I am on!!
(i.e. the行政院人權保障推動小組)—just kidding, that one does nothing either but at least we don’t cost the taxpayers any (or much) money.

Ha ha! I beat you by a year and 7 days Brian. But you did it much more eloquently than I.

Sandman,
wow, I am getting old, and I need to read more carefully, I was thinking this was May 2006, it is actually May 2007, this thread is a year old! Well, I live in the Taoist Timeless Now. And as you point out great minds of all ages think alike.

I have to take my mind pills and lay down for my nap now.

take care,
aging Brian

[quote=“brianlkennedy”]Sandman,
wow, I am getting old, and I need to read more carefully, I was thinking this was May 2006, it is actually May 2007, this thread is a year old! Well, I live in the Taoist Timeless Now. And as you point out great minds of all ages think alike.

I have to take my mind pills and lay down for my nap now.

take care,
aging Brian[/quote]

talking of crazy annette tho’ wasn’t it just a huge relief to see her abysmal performance in the dpp primary…(4% of the vote?)…hopefully she won’t be annoying us much longer…

Dear Annette - where would human rights be without her? anyone remember that gay club getting busted on Linsen BeiLu, and the ensuing enforced HIV tests that took place? Fortunately Annette soon intevened by proclaiming, in the wake of the incident, “AIDS is God’s punishment”

The one of her aides (pun unintended) had a quiet word in her hear and mentioned that the next African country Taiwan might want to befriedn thru check-book diplomacy might not take kindly to the implication that a huge % of their population deserves to die… especially, erm - their children…

actually, no one had a word in her ear, but they should’ve done…

So…do we “humans” on Taiwan have any “rights” yet?

…still searching for an Abo dwarf to toss… :bow: