Human separations

That guy is an excellent author. I read the first book there, great read. Love the way he tells the big history.

Will be on the look out to pick up the second ‘future’ book

I’m also in the middle of his third

This one seems more speculative, animals have similar bioemotional algorithms, so we shouldn’t eat them without first treating them nicely. :idunno:

And AI is the devil and if we aren’t nicer to animals, AI will think their data crunching ability makes them better than homosapiens and then we end up in the Matrix…or some sh8t. He’s losing me with all the scifi chatter.

Yea, there is an animal rights/ humans are brutal subscript to some sections of the first book too.

Still though, he has a huge overview of social change over the long term. Every chapter of the first book made me think.

1 Like

He also outs himself for about a paragraph in book 2. Not sure why it was important.

His explanation of why we don’t have giant mammals is very interesting. Kill one a month for 2,000 years = no more mammoths and giant wombats. I’m going to guess that is why the Neanderthals ain’t no more. We took their jobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-kgb1QtSnU

I think it’s more or less accepted that humans took the jobs of the large mammals

I’ve been quoting and paraphrasing book 1 for six months to anyone who will listen. :whistle:

1 Like

Ha ha ha, you could definitely choose a worse book.

True dat.

1 Like

Maybe something about having to learn to be a critical thinker due to having to question society earlier. He talks about it here.

Earlier than what? I’m not gay and I was thinking critically early too due to all the backwoods ironic redneckery I grew up in. :idunno:

Whatever sells the book I suppose. :idunno:

1 Like

Thats the immaturity im talking about above. A group must resolve thier own problems then we can get down to brass tacks.

That book looks great. Can we buy it within taiwan? Seems an interesting read.

On the notes about him having thoughts on animal feelings and the like it is very valid and strange people tend to leab away from accepting many animals are similat to us in terms of individual thought and prefferences. Cats and dogs are thebeasiest examples. If he points that out, even more interesting as many people in the field of animal behaviour have noticed this for centuries. Even plants have alliances that science is starting to accept and study.

Soon we will be able to talk with animals.
How can you eat something that you can talk with ?

That will be a massive game changer and at the same time there will be all the meat substitutes or lab meat available. Probably in 20 years, max 30 years eating animals will become rare, that’s my prediction anyway.

I don’t think there’s any really big gap between humans and other mammals, certainly not the ones that demonstrate intelligence anyway . We just imagine there is because we can talk . They talk as well but they tend to use body language more . I mean there’s a whole layer of civilisation added on top but yeah wait till you can talk directly with a dog or a pig or an elephant for instance.

1 Like

I want some too man, share some with the guys

Change the word talk with communicate and you open up a pandoras box within as we realize actually life isnt retarded. Plants mushrooms and bugs all comunicate with each other. pheromones are interesting ones as thats how many things communicate. When one disputes this, mention humans and sexual attraction. We aint so different than ants.

For millenials and that styled thinking stereotype: think Avatar and realizse that is real and not just the drugs.

It is hard eating something we connect with. If we realize everything comminicates its impossible to eat. Have this conversation with buddhists a lot about life and we need to eat. In the end just hope we can be honest about certain things remi d us of ourselves. Mammals for instance. Many people think seafood is part of a vegetarian diet. Why? I guess cause they are so far physically removed from our mirror its easier to justify. Bugs, fungi and plants etc and so on. Maybe its just easier admitting we kill to eat and try to limit the suffering of what we eat instead. Farmed meat is a pretty special kind of psychopathy that is not justifiable in any context. So inagree, 20 years that sad part of human history will be diminished.

You probably think I’m joking or on drugs but then you probably don’t know anything about how fast brain computer interface technology is developing.

So read a bit about it because I’m actually deadly serious.

I’ve also had a pet dog before and well aware of how intelligent he was and he often tried to fool me for instance when he did something he wasn’t supposed to be doing (I have a very specific example that shows a large degree of understanding of the ‘others’ mind ). Also the guilty look when you come home and check their face before even seeing the state of the house lol. :grin:

I also remember the shock of discovering thst elephants were intelligent and also that they didn’t like being held captive when I visited the zoo as a child. Out of the corner of my eye I saw it trying to open the lock of its pen with its trunk.

yes animal are smart but I don’t think the communication with dog is gonna boost more with technology, I think our communication is already pretty good with dogs.

1 Like

Some people do have good communication .
But what about all the people that don’t ?
If they put on a headset and hear the dog saying ‘im sad’, ‘im hungry’, 'im lonely, ‘im so happy to see you’…

Now take it to the next level for farm animals.

‘im afraid’, 'my babies don’t take them , ‘dont eat me’, ‘im so scared’.

Now broadcast that on loudspeakers. Put it on YouTube. Don’t believe it’s real? Put on the headset and start communicating directly with the animals.

And you know what it’s going to be way more nuanced than that because animals have their own personalities too.

That’s a game changer.

Well no, in many jurisdictions that would be illegal. :no_no:

I meant post-Neanderthal, post-Denisovan, within “historical” times, like the last 6000 or 10,000 years. So can we safely say there’s (now) no consensus that actual human races ever existed within that period, or even that the new consensus or near-consensus is exactly the opposite?

Put this in your time capsule. The veggie market will continue to grow, but barring WWIII it will still be a minority preference in 2039.

Also, farming is not farming is not farming. You can argue about ethics all day long (like “is there such a thing as ethical slaughter?”), but animals on Farm A are treated very differently from those on Farm B, and it’s not reasonable to call people psychopaths just because they farm, AI translations or no AI translations.