I ate my first Reeves's muntjac 山羌

Last time I helped with traps, the thing was too long dead so it couldn’t be eaten.
It tasted nothing like deer to me. Very dense and not gamey. Not bad. Id eat it again if legally served. I also had hog, but it was boiled, so all the goodness was gone.:sleepy:
I had hog ear for the first time a couple of months back. I actually enjoyed that.
Still no chicken feet. I think I’ll keep it that way.

6 Likes

Hopefully not a steel jaw trap. Those are incredible harmful to endangered animals and illegal.

It’s great to go on these aboriginal hunting experiences. I’d love to do more of those, sans actually doing the killing part.

Very primative piece of string trap. It’s fun to learn how to spot them so I don’t spring them when I’m hiking and twist an ankle

2 Likes

Have you tried flying squirrel yet?

I think boar is at the top of the yummy list, but it should be grilled, not boiled.

Guy

1 Like

I have some in my freezer at the moment, thinking of making it into a slow cooked curry (think like a goat curry).

1 Like

A jolly old bore indeed

Why would one bother?

I like them. Good stewed, but i love dry bbq meat.

However the trapping situation is pretty psychopathic and cruel. I dismantle and recycle every trap/cage i find. Its a complete disregard for life and pain/suffering. The hunters i can get along with.

1 Like

Where did you get it?

Gift from family, when they have a good hunting or fishing trip the meat will be shared out.

Okay. Curiosity got me. I ate the chicken feet.
It was edible, but never again.

3 Likes

It’s very healthy, lots of collagen.

A good HK style dim sum place will prepare these puppies like magic. In that context, it’s really good!

Guy

1 Like