I don't have a motorcycle license but I want a scooter

I have a drivers license from California to drive a car. I live a bit out in the sticks, so a scooter would be a really, really handy thing to have. “Some people” have told me that all I have to do is take a “simple test” and I can get a TW drivers license and then I can buy and drive a 50cc scooter…“some people” have told me that maybe I would be able to get a 90cc or even 110cc scooter - more power would be helpful because of the hills I have to negotiate to get to school…problem is “some people” get really vague when I ask for the details on how to do this, or whether or not certain things are legal. Any help with this?

I am reading some posts now on driving school for scooters - I will continue to read them, but there seems to be no answer for this question. I don’t mind buying a slower scooter now while I am taking a class to get an official license but I am hoping that I can find an immediate solution for my transportation needs. I have considered an ebike or escooter but the hills and distances I need to travel make it either too impractical or expensive - would have to pay NT$ 40K for lithium batteries alone to make it work, and I hear that these vehicles are often and easily stolen.

A quick search turned up this, and funnily enough, it is a blog by a French guy I happen to know. Looks pretty humorous; hopefully informative as well.

Do yourself a favor: Get the license. Heaven forbid anything bad happens, but should it, you will want your papers in order.

A quick search turned up this, and funnily enough, it is a blog by a French guy I happen to know. Looks pretty humorous; hopefully informative as well.
What is “this”? What did you turn up?

My bad, forgot the link. Here it is: blog.liontravel.com/jean/post/3735/11615

The article does a good job of describing the riding portion of the test, but the written part is something you should study for, if just to know the Chinglish that they’re using and get familiar with it. Figure you’re going to miss a couple questions just because you can’t figure out what they’re talking about.

There are a couple ways to study for the written test. One is to go here:


And download the publication called “Motorcycle Traffic Laws and Regulations Test (DOC)”. I think that’s the entire moto book. Those are the exact questions that will be on the test, chosen randomly. The Tealit link that the French site gave also has some links to parts of the handbook. I’m not sure which is better. There’s also a practice test linked there, but I couldn’t get it to work. Might try Internet Explorer - It’s a common occurrence for something in Taiwan to only work in that.

tealit.com/article_categorie … rs_license

It’s not that hard, but you really should study as much as you can, because it was written by someone who thought they spoke English…

Oh, and don’t bother with a 50cc 2-stroke. They’re a PITA, and there’s a reason they call them ‘smokers’. For everyday riding, you’ll do well with a Yamaha, KYMCO, or SYM 125 or 150. The test is the same for anything up to 250cc. And practice your slow-speed straight line riding. It’s the stoopidest part of the test.

Just go to the website of the dmv of whatever city youre in, theyll have the test online

i took it first time, got a 90%, easy as pie

Driving tests here are a piece of piss. They are completely pointless from any road safety perspective - but they are really easy. Just take it.

I keep hearing people talking about the terrible Chinglish in the driver licence test. I took it (the trial version, that is) and I found the English version extremely clear and not confusing at all (I do remember mention of a “flushing light”, but that’s about it). I’m not even a native speaker! :ponder:

As for the specific situation of the OP, I think the best option would be to convert your licence to a Taiwanese one. That should allow you to drive a car and a 50cc scooter without taking any test and and up to a 250cc motorbike with the riding test only. That’s exactly what I did and I got both licences in a few hours. I’m not sure whether US citizen can do that though (I’m from EU).

Perhaps someone who can actually write English rewrote it sometime in the last 6 years. My info may be a little out of date.

I couldn’t find a link to the practice test. It used to be online. That was really helpful. I do know I missed at least 3 questions on the written because it was impossible to understand the questions. Let’s hope it’s better than that now.

No it seems my letter to Ma Ying Jiu and the Head of the department of motor vehicles worked and the English got corrected, at least to a degree after I took the test 4 times >.<

LOL! I failed the first time because of the crap English, so I hope it’s been improved.

To the OP, Bokonon’s links are very helpful.

Here are some actual questions from the test I took (I jotted down the more ridiculous ones). Answers are at the end–they may surprise you.

1.True or False: Heavy motorcycles include common heavy motorcycles and big heavy motorcycles.

2. Number plate:
A) must be hung in the fixed place
B) can be hung anywhere
C) do whatever (Did a stoner write this question?)

3. Signs and lines can be classified as:
A) warning, prohibition, indication
B) warning, prohibition, restriction
C) all the above

4. When a motorcyclist is not happy, usually he/she:
A) is emotionless
B) is not compassionate
C) is angry

5. Motorcyclist’s clothing:
A) is free
B) slippers are ok
C) must be clean

Here are some road signs:

  1. A) jolted road
    B) slopes
    C) protruding road

  2. A) jolted road
    B) protruding road
    C) low lying road

  3. A) no parking
    B) no temporary parking
    C) no cars


  1. False. (“Common heavy motorcycles” are “heavy motorcycles”, but “big heavy motorcycles” are not!)
  2. A
  3. A
  4. C
  5. C (I guess I can be fined for those marker stains on my shirt?)
  6. C
  7. A
  8. B
1 Like