I feel just being able to label a user a troll would limit this behavior

Yeah, by the one post itself probably insufficient.

So, how will the powers that be, all hail PTB, determine the rubric of trolling? Will we plebes be educated and informed of said rubric so as to properly conform?

Will poster earn troll points by say, responding to an article in derisive terms when clearly not reading said article? This happens…all the time…you know who you are. How about the YER SOURCE IS BADZ hahahahahah posts? Attacking the source and not the content as a distraction. Happens all the time.

How about dogpiling? Talking about other posters in public when said poster is still irtime involved in the thread. Will you refer to Jaron Lanier for guidance?

3 Likes

That’s my understanding, yes. Trolling is allowed, but pointing it out is not.

Pretty much.

well, not exactly. You can flag a post.

1 Like

I can flag all the trolling attempts in this thread, do you think that’s going to curtail anything? It hasn’t yet. There’s only so much the mods can do, it’s not like they don’t know.

1 Like

Dude, you’re as bad as anyone or worse. Give it a rest

6 Likes

I understand, and if so I apologize and I’ll try to limit back and forth.

Sorry, but this proves my point. It won’t stop. So all I can do is just accept this, apparently. It’s a feature of the site I have to roll with.

I agree.

Stop trolling.

1 Like

Well, here’s the rule:

Maybe the best thing to say is that if you see someone posting here regularly, we don’t think of them as “trolling”. They wouldn’t be here if we did. We do remove people for trolling with some frequency.

3 Likes

Who is it? I have him on ignore.

Whew. I’m still he–

btw the point I’m making is, how does one distinguish ahem attempts at humor from trolling?

It is. You certainly do not shy away from the back and forth of contentious posting. Not saying it’s just you.

If everyone simply stuck to expressing opinions and staying away from personal stuff, we wouldn’t have these issues! Well, happy new year, I need to start getting more seriously drunk :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To go back to where this started: I doubt this would work, even if it were allowed. Remember, the main point of trolling is to get an emotional reaction. And if you call them a troll, the response is probably NOT going to be “Uh oh, I am suitably chastened and shall reform my behavior!” Instead, the response will be “Yes! Success! Now let’s see how I can be even more aggravating!”

1 Like

This is a perfect example of the petty, immature behavior that’s worse than the supposed “trolling” some people are pretending to be upset about.

Here you have a poster, who apparently per his comment has already ignored me, took the time to dig into my comment history in a failed effort to pull out an example of “trolling”. And then instead of flagging it for the mods, he had to post it publicly here. :roll_eyes:

This thread is like Forumiddleschool.

1 Like

It’s a nuisance and really kind of cowardly when people use the ignore feature strategically because they can’t have their ideas challenged, or they’re trying to rally the crew to get someone banned, etc.

So is going public with personal issues. It’s weak. That is very junior high you’re right.

2 Likes

ha!

Also, to be fair, your shits and giggles comment isn’t trolling. If you come here for serious political discussion, you should have your head examined.

2 Likes

If that worked, this thread wouldn’t exist.

This is feedback.

Yes! Absolutely. It seems so deeply ingrained that it’s accepted as normal; nasty baseless stuff that wouldn’t be tolerated elsewhere.

1 Like