I fly business class and leave my kid in economy. I get called a 'bad mom'

Yeah, I don’t get parents who seem to do everything they can to be away from their kids. Why did they have them?

3 Likes

I actually sympathise with the mother. If I had kids, I wouldn’t want them to grow up thinking flying Business is normal. They should have to suck it up on Economy like everybody else. But, assuming I had the money to fly Business, I’m not sure I’d be able to fly 13 hours Economy (which I detest so much) for the sake of toughening up my child, but I sure as hell wouldn’t want to spoil them by flying them Business. So maybe I’d do what this mother does and tell the child they can look fly Business after they work hard in life and can afford it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

They spend enough time with them at home.

You don’t really get to choose what kind of personality your kid is born with. If you get unlucky and give birth to a brat, then it’s not like you can just give them away. So you put them in coach. :man_shrugging:t2:

Each to their own.

1 Like

This goes both ways.

If you get unlucky and are born by a narcissist, then it’s not like you can just change them.

Tbf, on long haul flight my parents got me premium economy or business once I grew too tall for economy. Economy is unbearable once you’re 6’2 or over. It’s torture for anyone 190cm and above.

But I’ve sat separate from my dad before. He flew a lot for business and always got upgrades from Eva as the checkin staff new him quite well seeing him a few times a month.

3 Likes

My parents could never afford that.

3 Likes

I previously had a student who was late teens. Her parents used to take a holiday in Europe every year. The dad was 190 plus and couldn’t handle economy so he and the mom went in business class and the kids ( late teens and early twenties) went in economy. My student used to complain because her mom was the shortest of the four so why doesn’t she fly in economy?

The more you do for them……

1 Like

I’m not sure, some things in the past were a bit more automatic. Like get married, have kids , become a grandparent etc.
Teenagers often want to hang out with peers and not parents , so anytime I could spend time with them I would.
I had a dad who was pretty much absent most of my childhood , but when he turned up he would take me camping, hiking , teach me to shoot, swim in rivers …
I’d love those moments or I could sit with him and watch the TV and ask him what did he think of this or that. Anyway long passed now, but those moments are always with me.

3 Likes

I’m not sure about your upbringing either. Mileage varies?

2 Likes

Wait… are you saying you have your kids away? :rofl:

1 Like

I think it was me who said “Each to their own”. I say it a lot , I guess better than “It is what it is”. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You lost me lol

Is what I’ve posted not straightforward? OK, your upbringing sounds non-standard.

2 Likes