I fly business class and leave my kid in economy. I get called a 'bad mom'

My daughter isn’t always thrilled with our flying arrangement, but I think it’s a pretty fair deal

I bet you do. To each their own, I say. Just don’t be surprised years from now when she says she’s too busy to call or visit you in your assisted living facility.

11 Likes

Her daughter is 16. She can manage to sit by herself on a plane.

7 Likes

lol yeah. I first started flying by myself when I was in middle school. Used my dad’s points (racked up from his business travel) to go visit relatives that I otherwise never would have met. Always in economy. A 16 year old flying with mommy on the plane but a different part of the plane is already more parental supervision than I had when I was years younger. These sorts of articles are just stupid.

6 Likes

Yeah, I used to fly with my brother from HK to Los Angeles to visit our grandparents. I was 9 and he was 7 when we first flew by ourselves.

My point is, what’s the point of this article? For the mom to brag about how she’s a “terrible person”? To show how much she “looks after her daughter” while she flies in business class? It looks like the mom is paying for her daughter’s relatively frequent international travel too. Oh, woe is…you? because ppl think you’re a bad parent? or your daughter, because she gets stuck in coach like everyone else? It’s like that article about “no, I won’t take my shoes off when I enter your house”. Serves no purpose other than to try to make people…angry? Or what?

3 Likes

SEO and clicks.

9 Likes

And generate money.

1 Like

kids can’t appreciate it anyway… and besides, this is what Tristan Tate would do to his kids, and apparently Gordon Ramsey does it to his kids to. You gotta earn business/first class. kids haven’t earned jack-$h!#

1 Like

it got @Celeborn to click, read, and post. Got you to click, read, and comment. purpose completed…

4 Likes

Haven’t they seen any of the Home Alone films? Macauley Culkin wouldn’t have had to put up with all that bullshit if they didn’t live in a fucking castle. Capitalism is the real ‘bad mom’ (sic)

1 Like

:rofl:

Guy

3 Likes

Her daughter is 16 years old, I think she’s fine flying economy on her own.

If she is like 13 or below, then I think it’s getting into bad mom territory.

The woman was fine with this arrangement until she realized her seats were Economy rather than Premium Economy. Is there really that much of a difference? Taking this to the internet for a few inches less leg room?

well that’s is just shitty fathering. Its one thing to send your almost legally adult child to sit in economy while you enjoy luxury, its something else entirely to tell your wife to look after your toddler while you sit in the front of the plane and fully ignore them both. You helped make it possible for this tiny human to enter this world, you look after it.

2 Likes

Agreed, in that circumstance (work paid for one business seat) father could just swap with the wife from time to time and both could enjoy business half the time and parent the toddler the other half of the time.

1 Like

international? yes, big difference.

airline may not allow this.

Premium Economy offers much more than just a few inches more leg room. Are you thinking the (United) Economy Plus?

Better make arrangements with the flight crew before hand; it’s fine for people in more expensive seats to go back, but as a general rule not the other way around.

EDIT: Plus what @Poundsand wrote.

Guy

I think anytime with your own kids at that age is precious. Nah I would want to sit next to a daughter either upgrade her seat or downgrade mine. That’s just me so each to their own. You can never buy back time.

4 Likes