I hate liars!

Out of morbid curiosity what does a “famous teacher” mean in Taiwan?
If they appear as the token foreign clown on one of those tacky talk shows are the considered famous?

[quote=“purple people eaters”]Out of morbid curiosity what does a “famous teacher” mean in Taiwan?
If they appear as the token foreign clown on one of those tacky talk shows are the considered famous?[/quote]
FOB’s talking about music teachers. “Famous” probably means their names are well-known in the guitar-playing community. PPP, why do you have such a distaste for ESL teachers?

[quote=“purple people eaters”]Out of morbid curiosity what does a “famous teacher” mean in Taiwan?
If they appear as the token foreign clown on one of those tacky talk shows are the considered famous?[/quote]

Perhaps you should try teaching. I can arrange for you to have some hours if you want. I wonder if you could hack it ?

Why don’t you try it for the experience. You and say 40 high school kids. How about it. If you are interested let me know. Lets see if you can do more than what you call the “token clown” can do.

If you had read the previous posts you would see that we are talking about music teachers. A famous teacher would be 1) a teacher whose methods have made him famous 2) a famous musician who teaches or 3) (like Geddy Lin) both.

Who is Geddy Lin?

…Obviously not that famous…

[quote=“ran the man”]I know all the reasons why people here don’t always tell the truth.i can understand when people come up with an excuse but i can’t take people shifting blame to me when they need out of something.

I know my schedual. today i got a call at 4:30 asking where I was. I said “you told me 5:30” she said “no, I said 4:30 because X has a student coming at 6:30 so he has to study with you at 4:30.”

the whole thing was X’s student suddenly called him to come at 6;30 and X was schedualed to study under me (i teach teachers) at 6:30. he needed to make money but was ashamed to ditch his teacher. so they made up this excuse where i missed the class at 4:30 when actually X was cutting class (which he has a right to do)at 6:30.

it’s totally fucked up to blame me. and this is not the first time people here have lied to me like that.

also as far as music students go: i prefer NOT to teach Taiwanese. they aren’t worthy students. for all their talk about lao shr this and that, they have no loyalty and will just milk you for info. once they’ve got that info, they think “oh wouh dz ji keh i lian” and they don’t need you anymore. or they’ll go write a textbook with the info you gave them. i totally fucking give up on Taiwanese. hate to say it.Satan can have them, like he doesn’t already. i wash my hands of them.[/quote]

Dude when I was teaching at a buxiban I was told that one boy stabbed another boy in the leg with a pen during one of my classes, and that it was serious i.e. parents were pissed, and that I should improve my classroom management skills. Well, I think if someone got stabbed with a pen, there’d be alot of crying, and I’d probably remember it. It was pretty clear I was taking the shit for one of the teachers there. I know what you mean about shifting the blame!

I think she meant Geddy Lee.

i have a little bit of a delima here. do i really want “shreh seng man tien shia”? some things you should keep for yourself. i mean, the mechanics of improv are well known. there are no secrets, only open secrets. but i think i’ve latched onto something really, okay maybe not unique, but it’s a good way. it came thru a lot of trial and error.my sweat.not MI.
if i jiao chu chi, will it just become somebody’s info?or will i be able to really get something good going, on par with geddy lin.a “school” of guitar playing. or will geddy lin’s little riff hounds just add my stuff to their info bank and forget about me? will geddy lin’s ass come over and make a book out of what i’ve taught? with no credit to ran the man?
i ponder on these things a lot.

thing is i’m too far down the food chain here to be teaching people. not skill wise but position wise. these guys will eat my info and spit me out like a cherry pit. and i’ll be just as poor as i ever was. and still have no credit for all my yuan jio.

What’s yuan jio? And what’s “shreh seng man tien shia”. Words count - get them right, at least some of the time.

“students spreading out under all of heaven” and “research”, in that order.

I believe Maoman was talking about your rather improvised romanization and not indicating that he didn’t understand the Chinese expressions. We use Hanyu pinyin here when writing romanized Mandarin. If you don’t use a recognized system, no one will understand what you are writing.

You could erect a small tent in your living room – like one of those toilet tents or something – and deliver your lessons from there so the students couldn’t see you. And you could play really loud thrash metal on the Dansette at the same time, or maybe some Richard Clayderman, so they can’t hear what you’re doing. That should solve your problem, I think.

I believe Maoman was talking about your rather improvised romanization and not indicating that he didn’t understand the Chinese expressions. We use Hanyu Pinyin here when writing romanized Mandarin. If you don’t use a recognized system, no one will understand what you are writing.[/quote]
Exactly. Dammit, man, use Wade-Giles, use Yale, use Tongyong, preferably use Hanyu Pinyin, use Gwoyeu Romatzyh, use Zhuyin Fuhao but at least use a system. You’re just spouting gibberish! :loco:

I believe Maoman was talking about your rather improvised romanization and not indicating that he didn’t understand the Chinese expressions. We use Hanyu Pinyin here when writing romanized Mandarin. If you don’t use a recognized system, no one will understand what you are writing.[/quote]
Exactly. Dammit, man, use Wade-Giles, use Yale, use Tongyong, preferably use Hanyu Pinyin, use Gwoyeu Romatzyh, use Zhuyin Fuhao but at least use a system. You’re just spouting gibberish! :loco:[/quote]

nee jeo poo dong taii waan wun h-waaa!

I think she meant Geddy Lee.[/quote]
Nope. I was referring to a guitar teacher who is pretty famous in Taiwan as both a musician and a teacher.

[quote=“ran the man”]plus trailers have better toilets! I don’t have mercy on Taiwan’s deficiencies for a reason:

aren’t the Chinese supposed to be superior and all that? don’t they have 5000 years of over us? then they should be a able to make a far better country than us foreign devils could ever think about.

but they haven’t.

taiwan goes on forever about how their problems are “jiao yu de wun ti”.but Taiwan’s problems are “dzong jiao de wun ti”. democracy is an offshoot of western Christianity. transplanting democracy into a culture raised on the selfish belief in multiple gods who serve men is a farce. selfishness will undermine democracy.
you’ll notice that even people with NO BELIEFS are better citizens than your average temple going Daoist.

the reason why Singapore is so heavy handed is that traditional Chinese culture is so selfish you CAN’T let them do as they want. the environment, the quiet, the economy, will be dominated by them and destroyed. then they move on to greener pastures.

case in point about Asian culture being transplanted to the US: property values in one neighborhood dropped from 500,000 to 200,000 after Koreans came in. the whole landscape changed from English signs to hangul in a flash.
in poor neighborhoods, many overcharge people for groceries.

the assimilation rate for Chinese in the US is super low. they even call me lao wai in my own country. and chinatown just keeps getting bigger. it used to be nice to have a chinatown of three strip malls, now the whole damn Bellaire blvd. in houston is owned by ONE Chinese real estate company.
the Chinese businesses encourage illegal immigration. go in the back of a restaurant and everybody speaks Spanish. they pay them chicken feed for 12 hours a day.
I think immigration to the US needs to be stopped for 10 years to allow assimilation. we used to have Chinese Americans. now we only have Chinese living in America.[/quote]

wooow…what a hateful post!! didnt you say you’re a “religious” person earlier in this thread?? cuz you certainly dont read as one.

[quote=“ran the man”]when you’ve been cheated by the locals, then talk. nobody who’s been at the end of a beserk Taiwanese with a bat can be a taiwan sympathizer. Taiwanese will make you ALMOST become anti- Chinese. I said almost.

the only thing that stops me from being a racist is my REASON and faith. I am a reasonable person and a man who believes that we are ALL God’s children. racism is unreasonable and unjust, so I do not subscribe to it. all TWese do not fall under the category of “yellow trash” just like all white people do not fall under the category of “white trash”. does yellow trash exist? it most certainly does. denying it won’t help.[/quote]

you certainly don’t sound “reasonable” in your posts. exactly what “faith” are you? christian? which denomination? this is why i have a problem with many christians or even so-called “religious” people. they preach “love”, compassion and acceptance of everyone, yet they spout hate and bigotry in the same breath. total hypocrisy. practice what you preach, man. i’m a christian myself, btw.

you REALLY need to get out of taiwan for yours and especially taiwanese sake, dude.

asians moving into a neighborhood usually RAISE property values. they also usually INCREASE the competitiveness of the school district. go research the real estate market in highly populated asian areas in big metropolitan regions of nyc, los angeles., etc. some places i personally know of like flushing, ny; scarsdale, ny; little neck/great neck, ny; fort lee, nj; koreatown in los angeles; san marino in los angeles county; arcadia in los angeles county, etc., all whose property prices increased with the influx of asians.

and you’re referring to immigrant communities which usually stick together. there are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of multi-generational asians in america who’ve totally assimilated into the mainstream populace, speak english (with no accent), not even speaking their native tongue anymore (not that that’s a good thing; it’s always good to know a foreign language, especially your own ancestral language), conduct businesses in english and display signs in english, etc. these people tend to live in more racially diverse neighborhoods, not the chinatowns and koreatowns. but EVERY immigrant group in america operated the SAME WAY - italians with little italys, germans with germantowns, irish, russians, greeks, etc. asians are no different. in time, with each passing generation, they move away from their ethnic neighborhoods and assimilate with the general population as they have been doing.

profile of san marino, ca:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marino%2C_CA

that was according to the 2000 census. asian population is well over 50% now in 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_with_large_Chinese_American_populations

no. what asians do is : move into an average neighborhood and pay top dollar for the houses because the developers know they can with their big asian money. that prices average american joe with his little george washingtons out of a pretty good house. the asians who move into upscale run the property value DOWN , hence the white exodus farther and farther out into netherland.

personally, i think white people could use a little color in their lives. they’re too plain, boring, and predictable, those white people. i like all people, including white people(two words) but i can’t stand “whitepeople” (one word).
the answer to all of this is ASSIMILATION AND PROPERTY LAWS, as well as declaring english the official language. not likely to happen.

i personally favor stopping all immigration for 5 years. there are too many foriegners in the US. taiwan doesn’t just open it’s borders to me, why should the US just open for them? in fact, i think the US should shut down imports for a year. then the whole world will know who butters it’s bread and stop ranting on the US.
why is it every country thinks it has a RIGHT to immigrate to the US but US citizens have no right to immigrate to theirs? i say the US is being too nice to the world. shut off everything and let them suffer. largest consumer market in the world doesn’t have to take shit from anyone. we stop buying, they start dying (economically).

Not to get on your case, but you do realize what you just said is a contradiction in terms, right? A foreign language can’t be your native language and vice versa.