I´m in kind of a mess here. No Bachelor´s

Hey Forumosa,

I´m currently staying in Taiwan with a Visa Exempt Entry and I´ve been checking this forum the last couple of days but the only things I could find was advice on how to…:

1. Transfer one´s Visa Exempt Entry to an ARC: by finding a job, telling your employer to apply for a work permit, applying for a visitor visa and then an ARC by yourself.

2. Do Visa runs, which I dont have the money for

So #1 sounds good for me, but can I get a job that provides a work permit eventhough I dont have a Bachelor´s Degree? I didn´t have success applying for full time jobs at cram schools so far because after informing them that I don´t have a Bachelor´s I was told several times that one is needed in order for them to apply for my work permt.

I still have a glimmer of hope that it might be somehow possible to teach at a school, since I succesfully taught at a public school on the mainland last semester.

So is it even possible for me to get a work permit without a Bachelor´s? Are there other ways of getting a Work Permit & ARC? Opening a business or studying at a chinese language school/ university is not an option for me.

To add some more information that might be of help: I have a highschool degree, a TEFL certificate and my mother is a Taiwanese citizen, I dont have a taiwanese ID though.

Cheers, koko

Short answer, NO. You will not get a legal teaching job without a bachelors.

If you are married to a Taiwanese you can get a JFRV, with open work rights. With such a visa you can teach legally.

Thanks alot!

I love short and accurate answers.

Just one more question, is there are way to get an ARC or Resident Visa in rather unconventional ways? That means no studying at an university, not working as a teacher or doing a language course, etc.

Since this thread has alot of views, I reckon there might be some people with similar problems.

[quote=“kokokaiser”]Thanks alot!

I love short and accurate answers.

Just one more question, is there are way to get an ARC or Resident Visa in rather unconventional ways? That means no studying at an university, not working as a teacher or doing a language course, etc.

Since this thread has alot of views, I reckon there might be some people with similar problems.[/quote]

One that I know of in the EFL game is a few Taiwanese institutions bypass the MOE altogether and employ people as consultants. They then teach, but on their work permit they are classed as consultants. This is one way to get around the UK, USA, NZ, Aus, SA, Canada passport regulation which would be considered discriminatory in western countries. There have been a couple of posters on here in the past whose employers pulled this one off.

[quote=“kokokaiser”]
Since this thread has alot of views, I reckon there might be some people with similar problems.[/quote]
I reckon it’s just morbid curiosity.

If your mother is Taiwanese citizen, why can’t you get a Taiwanese ID?

For me to be able to apply for a ID, she has to be living in Taiwan, which is not the case.

Thanks for the advice with te consultants, will check that out.

I´d appreciate any further advice.

For me to be able to apply for a ID, she has to be living in Taiwan, which is not the case.[/quote]

Actually, this is not entirely true.

For you to apply for residency through your mother, she would need an active household registration and ID card, but she does not have to be currently residing in Taiwan.

Check with your local NIA office for the specifics.

[quote=“bigduke6”]Short answer, NO. You will not get a legal teaching job without a bachelors.
[/quote]

The exception is having a 2-year degree and a TESOL certification of some kind (not online though I think)

[Work with two-year associate's (AA) degree and tefl or tesol?