I miss Taiwan

Try flagyl. Kills the bugs.

If it’s a problem with gut bacteria, then an inexpensive fix might be as simple as a helping or two of sauerkraut. It can really help.

Wow, that sounds bad! Try to avoid spicy food and cook at home…

If you want to, I can hook you up with a pal who works at a very reputable hospital in Singapur.

EDIT

Pal says
Go khoo tech phuat hospital
Closest to JB

Thanks I’ll head over there. I don’t understand what could cause this. Even I China I was fine except a day or two.

I’ll see if it’s available in the pharmacy. My schools health care sucks. Only certain shitty clinics, and you have to file a report to them with the receipt to reimburse you.

Don’t really enjoy it lol. I heard probiotics can help.

My pal did not dare to conjecture, but he was adamant: find knowledgeable medical help ASAP. Like tomorrow ASAP.

I would think someone like you would have access to private insurance. Obviously this is something the school clinic won’t cover. Go to the hospital, my pal said, big hospital.

1 Like

not discouraging you or anyone from visiting a hospital in these circumstances…

…but the one worst time i had of food poisoning in Taipei after eating bbq chicken at 師大 night market (basically excreting like a fire hydrant every five minutes), i ate only thick bread and bananas and kept drinking water to stay hydrated. worked within 24 hrs.

Yep, but in Andrew’s case, it is way over 24 hours.

A recurrent infection could become a real serious problem.

it may be a foodborne infection that’s causing your situation. but it might as well be a psychological problem, anxiety like being in a new (uncomfortable) environment can lead to heavy stress on your body too, just saying. anyways, get yourself checked from a doctor who knows what he’s doing.

First is to take some Oralite rehydration salts. They are 50 or 60 cents a pack. Take one every 3 or 4 hours. If you find any probiotics take 20 or 30 billion a day (most are 5 billion per tablet).

Go see a gastroenterologist. There is no point in seeing a regular Doc.
99% it is not bacterial or it would be gone by now. It is either viral or amoebic (amoebic dysentery).

Amoebic
If your shit floats well (kind of on water) and stinks badly then it is amoebic. Amoebic is more common in Thailand but then again JB is hit or miss. There is an easy pharma solution (metronidazole).

Norovirus
As I stated before, there is a Norovirus going around. It took me a while to get rid of it. It is viral. With Norovirus you generally don’t have any other symptoms - no fever, coughs, etc. Just gut problems.

A Taiwanese doc gave me some simple medication to help control my bowels so I didn’t dehydrate too quickly. Nothing else can be done.

One last idea. It could be a water filter. Often I discovered it was the damn water - water cooler not cleaned or filter not cleaned. Or the material used in the water filter bothered my stomach. Drink ONLY bottled water for a while.

4 Likes

1 Like

This.

No Gatorade. No Pocari Sweat. But the real deal.

Muntah-muntah sounds interesting :smiley:

Taiwan rocks!!!

1 Like
  1. Maybe it’s different being an exec, but teaching in Korea and teaching in Taiwan is about the same. I taught in Korea for 6 years. My current Taiwanese job actually works me harder than my Korean teaching jobs. The only difference is I make less money here. Also, students seem to have the same rigorous schedule in both countries. In both countries they’re forced to go to cram-schools when they’re not in their regular school environment. Buxiban here, hagwon in Korea.

2. That’s not true about Korea (outside of Seoul) being cheaper than all of Taiwan. For example, Busan has a higher cost of living (real estate, food, transportation, etc) than most of Taiwan, with the possible exception of Taipei.

I don’t think I can stay in Taiwan much longer. I can live in a place like this maybe, which is impossible here.

Impossible in most places and for most income levels.

Well it is possible to get similar if you sell a place in UK or even a decent place here in Taiwan would cost similar. My Landlady wanted 14 Million NTD for a place in Taichung that was 50 ping.i guess I bought in 1990 in U.K. and it’s up times 3 or 4 by now … probably cost a fortune if I worked out mortgage cost over 25 years :pensive:

Time to leave. This country is impossible to live in. Nothing makes sense, everything is harder than it needs to be and it’s full of incompetent people you are forced to do damage control for on the daily.

My WiFi company calls me on a personal line at like 11pm asking me what she did with the copy of my passport she copied. How the fuck should I know, she is the one that copied it. And asking me to send pics of my passport on a personal line. Wtf?

The imports laws are ridiculous here. You basically need a permit for everything. You can’t import Bluetooth headphones without a permit??? Now my headphones are seized and racking up money per day I don’t apply for permit to release.

Everyday, full of retards that I have to deal with. It’s like they find ways to make life miserable. Building management decided they won’t take packages unless I’m there. Wtf? How can I always be there? They won’t let them even drop it at my door. What exactly is their job but to make stupid rules as they go along. Another stupid new rule is security decided they won’t let grab (Malaysia Uber) in my complex. Even with me in the car. They said their boss said so, had to get it in their heads I’m their boss!!!

1 Like