I miss Taiwan

TGI Fridays and Din Tai Fung? Eeeewww. You shouldn’t have to eat mediocre crap like that. I haven’t spent much time in JB (honestly, who’d want to?), but you should be able to get excellent Malaysian, Indonesian and Indian, and passable Cantonese and Thai food just about anywhere in Malaysia. The Western food isn’t good? Don’t eat it. I’m sure your stomach will thank you (once you get used to the local bugs).

Wait … No , I still can’t find my invitation…:worried:

1 Like

Is Din Tai Fung really so passé and ubiquitous, it’s considered “mediocre”? Overrated, maybe. But I mean I still dig their xiao long bao. Don’t think they deserve to get lumped in with TGIF, which is barely edible unless you’re wasted on their frozen margaritas.

Also… What’s JB stand for?
EDIT: oh never mind. I see now.

1 Like

I like din tai Fung. It’s certainly overhyped, although my experience some chains are significantly better than others. But I’ve ate there maybe 10 times in 3 weeks.

I’m having serious doubts about the food. I’ve ate at all the top 10 restaurants by trip advisors and was pretty disappointed in them. Some are ok, certainly not top ten in any place I’ve lived.

1 Like

Fair point, but Din Tai Fung is massively overpriced for what you get, and definitely falls in the mediocre category (although of course not nearly as bad as TGIF).

Apologies, old boy. It was a spur of the moment decision.

1 Like

TripAdvisor is crap…you need to get recommendations from locals.

I think it varies from country to country. The ones in SE Asia are probably on the lower end.

But I actually prefer the quality and items on order at the Korean Din Tai Fung branches to the Taiwanese ones.

Hmmm… okay, I’ll take it.

I’ve tried, some were m…ok even decent. But accompanied by stomach issues. I think it may be the water? Because I eat spicy, real spicy with no issues.

I’ll try more. And I’m the type where I’m super happy eating at the night market or a hole in a wall restaurant in Taiwan so it’s always about fine dinning, which also does not exist. Idk, I’ve been pretty disappointed in things. I know I can’t trust locals with none Malay food. Had them tell me stuff is really authentic like Japanese food…disgusting. Worst than at a Taiwanese shopping mall food court.

Probably just not used to the microflora in Malaysia. You should be fine in a week or two. I mean, you survived China, right? And if you haven’t tried it yet, be sure to have roti canai and curry for breakfast. Cheap and delicious.

4 Likes

I’m curious, does Malaysia have its own expat forum filled with a motley crew of ne’er do wells, and if so what is it called? :thinking:

Rule # 1 is you don’t eat at places recommended by TripAdvisor and the like.

Well, I don’t think that highly of Trip Advisor, but it’s a good general introduction to popular restaurants in your city when you don’t know anyone. I usually run the places through Yelp (I know people bash that too) afterwards and see what reviewers say and make sure they’re okay.

Once you’re plugged in, then yeah TA is pretty useless.

Yes, I like it. It’s one of the few things I like.

Most locals seem to recommend cheap places to eat, their salaries are incredibly low even compared to Taiwan. I once wanted to eat at one place and the guy complained that it costs like 30RM for a meal saying how ridiculously expensive that was. It’s like 200NT. I feel awkward telling them the places they recommend are not the price range we are looking for. I enjoy food, I budget a lot for it. I’m also a large size human. I need to eat more then the average person.

No, I asked. Apparently they think forums are like old technology. Facebook is what’s cool.

People seem to combative about stupid things. Like whether they speak English. People got super offended saying Malaysians speak English then proceeded to speak their garbage English to me that I understand 25% of. And even said they don’t understand my English…it’s American but very neutral American.

Good to hear. You might want to try mid- and high-range Indian restaurants next. Most cities have a good number of them. I’ve never had bad Indian food in Malaysia.

711, I miss the greatness of 711.

Also no Costco.

Things don’t open late here as well

I also lost like 10kg while I was there. Starving looking at those food stalls with reused oils from a week ago. It got harder and harder to resist.

Just a couple of quick points that worked for me before in a similar situation:

Sneezing/sick at home: Might be mold. Check with neighbors if they have also have issues. If not, might also just be your AC.

Chabuduo building/people, crazy English: Culture shock, you will adapt and maybe even find yourself pick up some local manners after a few months. Don’t fight the culture, ignore or adapt.

Banks & phones: Make local friends, pick the smartest/most industrious and have him/her introduce you at their providers in person. Once you are in, things will be smooth.

Food: Keep experimenting, your body will adapt. Beware of eating too much Indian, you will get a nice potbelly after a few months.

Good luck!

How is the Italian doing with all these problems ?:wink:

1 Like