I need a break from Taiwan

Do I get a nice blue star next to my name? :joy:

Guy

1 Like

It’s just that I really need a break from Taiwan… and it doesn’t look like anyone has a solution for the cats at all other than pet hotels which is expensive as heck and not good for cats. I don’t know what to expect for house sitting or something, and it seems nobody in Taiwan I know is close enough that they’d do this for me. Neighbors won’t help no matter how much they love cats, because you know they’re Taiwanese and they just don’t help unless you’re their family.

I’m even wondering if animal welfare groups would help with temporarily fostering the cats or something.

Offer them $XX amount per day and see what they say.

What is a reasonable amount to offer?

You think pet hotels are too expensive. What’s reasonable to you? Offer that.

Didn’t someone else here said pet hotels cost more than 100US per day?

Would 100nt per day be reasonable? I mean considering this person lives about 3 doors down from me and I can give her my keys for this. I guess I could ask the landlord who lives upstairs and offer to pay an amount… I really don’t know. What would be a reasonable amount for you?

I’m not paying 100US per day to put my cats in a freaking cage.

1 Like

I doubt NT$100 per day would be enough to make it worthwhile for them. Maybe you could think about how much time you’d expect it to take them each day (feeding, playing with the cats, whatever), guess roughly how much they earn per hour at work, and double it or something. Though it depends on your relationship, how busy the person is, how much they need the additional money, how little they want the additional hassle, how much the person likes cats, and how long you’ll be away.

If my next-door neighbor asked me to do it, I’d probably want say NT$500-1000 per day as a minimum (assuming it required very little time from me), but then I don’t particularly like cats or my neighbors. :man_shrugging:

I might do it for free if it was a friend and they were nearby, but I’d still prefer they ask somebody else lol.

2 Likes

I look after my friend @ThreadKiller’s cats a few times a year. It’s a major mission. You can’t just go in, dump food down, and fuck off. Water and sand has to be changed and cleaned, and they’re domestic animals. They need human contact. It’s time-consuming.

4 Likes

Mine don’t seem to care about human contact, in fact they will hide if a stranger comes in. So no need to play.

I think that might change if the only human they know hasn’t been there for a few days.

2 Likes

So what about house sitting? You know stay rent free in exchange for taking care of cats?

Your place had better be pretty fucking nice unless you’re looking for a homeless house-sitter.

4 Likes

Have we figured out how you’re going to pay for your trip?

Otherwise, I don’t see why you’re winding yourself up.

You need a break. Go to Kending for a few days.

4 Likes

I need to figure out a budget in the first place. It looks like the cat is a more insurmountable problem than previously thought.

If your companions are a “problem”, you shouldn’t have got them in the first place. Take some responsibility.

4 Likes

So cats are not a problem in need of a solution?

I can’t just take them with me because there are quarantine requirements and all that. Children is actually easier to manage in most cases because you can just take them with you, just have to buy extra seats on the plane.

Find some responsible HS kid or a student in uni looking to make some extra income on the side.

If you can provide food and cat stuff they need in advance. All they need to is check in a few times a day and feed them and clean up after. I doubt you need to pay them a lot. Maybe a few hundred NT a day.

When you adopt an animal, you assume it it going to be a lifelong companion, not a prop or toy or something you throw away when it becomes inconvenient.

1 Like

So the issue of making sure the cats are ok when I am away, if not a problem, what do I call it?

You make it sound like I treat the cat like a toy to throw away.

1 Like

C’mon, I don’t think he’s doing that. Just trying to find some way to deal with them on a budget while he takes a short break.

2 Likes