I Need Depression Medication Fast

I just got my health insurance card for Taiwan, but unfortunately I’m down to about two weeks left of my Effexor. I don’t know how or where to schedule a doctor’s appointment so that I can get access to my medication.

Any advice or tips would be welcome. I’m in Taipei.

Go to any hospital. Be prepared for a long wait without an appointment, but you’ll get seen to eventually.
Also, lots of pharmacies will give you depression meds OTC. The NHI won’t pay for that, though.

3 Likes

Just look up doctors on Google Maps. I’ve gone in without an appointment to three, in different cities, and left with a needed prescription each time

1 Like

Would suggest just making an appointment at a psychiatrist at any major hospital. I think TMUH is among the easiest (decent English website, English descriptions for the doctors, can make the initial appointment online without prior on-site registration, has evening and Saturday appointments, and has a psychiatry department) – see here.

There’s also NTUH (limited English website, no English descriptions for the doctors, no evening/Saturday appointments, tends to be busier, and I think you need to make the initial registration on-site IIRC), Mackay (limited English website, no English descriptions for the doctors, has evening/Saturday appointments, don’t remember whether you need to make the initial registration on-site), Cathay (decent English website, no English descriptions for the doctors, has evening/Saturday appointments, don’t think you need to make the initial registration on-site), and many others.

I’m not familiar with the medicine you want, but in principle it seems to be available in Taiwan – the drug search engines for NTUH, Adventist, and Kuang Tien (Taichung) all have it listed, though the first two appear to have it misspelled as “Efexor” (might just be a trademark infringement avoiding thing; I found it by searching for the generic name “venlafaxine”).

Don’t have personal experience, but I understand that many psychiatrists here are liberal about giving out psychoactive drugs. You might have issues buying it in a pharmacy without a prescription if it’s controlled (in contrast to what @jimipresley wrote, I think some can be quite strict – probably easier just to find a willing doctor if it’s going to be a regular thing).

7 Likes

If you go to a pharmacy and show them you have that medication, many will sell it to you. Even without the NHI, it’s not that expensive In most cases.

3 Likes

Pretty solid and simple advice… take the box in.

I’d be surprised if you went into 5 pharmacies and didn’t get sorted out.

Just don’t even mention prescriptions, or get nervous, or wink at them. Act like you’re buying Vitamin C.

2 Likes

Chinese name:

文拉法辛

I asked for Zoloft and they asked if I had it before. Said no and they wouldn’t give it lol. I should have lied I guess.

I wouldn’t have a problem going to a decent local clinic even a small one that’s reputable.

Pay a few hundred NT$ to see the doctor and yes it’s that cheap.

Tell the doctor the situation, have any relevant prescriptions or boxes or paperwork or something that might help, he’ll either help you out or give suggestions how to fix your problem.

You can take a friend or ask around that find one that speaks english.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this detailed comment. I was able to schedule an appointment with your advice and the helpful links you provided. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Hi Venus,

Were you able to get your Effexor? I would like to apply for the work-holiday visa and this information is quite crucial for me. Thanks in advance for your help!