I Signed - The House Purchase Saga

Yep, was just editing it to say that

1 Like

Gotta change my username to THE FLASH!

1 Like

Mortgage here have variable rates?
Is there option for fixed rate?

1 Like

Despite what I was originally told by banks, when I pressed, they wouldn’t give it. Also I only had a few that would even look at a foreigner.

It’s OK. The price is still fairly good for the location.

3 Likes

The bank announced your rate increase by text? Or is the Taiwan’s central bank raised rate?

The former.

3 Likes

Gee, kind of like one side of a relationship breaking up by text. :astonished:

2 Likes

Citi did the same thing to my credit card by mail on the second month I had the thing.

Ahhh… I thought you meant 1 percentage point. It’s from 1.07% going to 1.10%. that’s a bit more acceptable. Thanks-

1 Like

Are you sure? They’re charging me 1.6% right now. I thought it meant that they will increase it by 1.07% to 1.10%

1 Like

So, they are changing 1.6% now and will charge 2.67% to maybe 2.7% in the next month?

That’s what I think it means at least.

I’d put in a call to bank, because I don’t think Taiwan’s central bank raised rates from X% (in previous period) to (X+1)% (now). That’d be big news. The U.S. only just raised by 0.75% (called 75bps) and Taiwan didn’t do that much (if I remember the news).

4 Likes

Will do. Appreciate the second set of eyes!

1 Like

Additional data point: our mortgage is in two different tranches / chunks (if I ever understood why, I’ve forgotten): for one of them, the interest rate recently rose from 1.045% to 1.170%; the other from 1.460% to 1.740%. So that’s more in line with how @KHHville interprets the text.

Maybe it’s increasing by 1.1%? o_O So maybe it’s going to 1.6176%?

1 Like

Total conjecture: the message they’re sending could be about the increase in their base rate, and that’s moving from 1.07% up to 1.10%. That way they can send the same message to all their customers. But no one pays that base rate - everyone has different rates based on who knows what kinds of formulas. It’s basically a notice that your rates will go up in this proportion.

EDIT: sort of like how central bank notices about interest rate increases do affect the interest rates normal people pay or earn, but not at exactly that number.

Ah the one size fits all approach. Cause that’s never confusing!

On another note, my likes on the OP now fit neatly into two rows.

4 Likes

Wait a second, aren’t fixed interest common in Taiwan