I think I had a seizure

This might sound strange but I think I might have had a seizure last night. I

It happens to me sometimes. But without the shaking or falling feeling. Usually when I’m lying down and trying to go to sleep. I’ve never asked a doctor about it as it happens very infrequently. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Maybe little bitty strokes? I don’t know.

me too, little sharp jolts that snap me right out of being half asleep

The same thing that Bassman described happens to me too. It happens a lot, in fact, but only if I try to sleep before my regualr bed time, like if I were to take a nap in the middle of the day. When I go to spleep at night, it never happens. Again, no headaches and no sensation of falling… so I don’t know if it’s really the same thing.

[quote=“dix2111”]This might sound strange but I think I might have had a seizure last night. I

If you are having mini-strokes, that’s a bad sign - usually a prelude to a severe stroke. I would check that out if I were you. I understand that there are medications to prevent strokes.

regards,
DB

If anyone figures out or finds out what this is please post it. I suspect it is possible it was a seizure, stroke, or could have it been a severe muscle spasm?

I had it happen to me in the chair while getting my hair cut. Damn near lost an ear.

It happens all the time to me. The most dangerous time was the one I just mentioned. It feels like something scared you awake?

I don’t think it is anything to worry about. I think it prolly happens to most people. Like Deja-vu all over again. :rainbow:

This also happenst to me. I get a jolt in my brain, sometimes in my limbs as well. If it involves limbs, they jump. It’s exactly as if I’ve been shocked. The most dangerous time this happened to me, I had fallen asleep in a bath tub. I was sleeping on my stomach with my head proped on a bath pillow on the back of the tub. My leggs jerked backwords, almost folding me in half and dragging my head under water! Not a nice way to wake up. I do think they’re small seizures, don’t know why they happen, and don’t think they’re harmful. Also, unless a dr. was observing you when you had one, likely CAT scanning you, I don’t think he could tell you either.

I read somewhere that some people with epilepsy may experience something like this.

I have experienced a few of what has been described in the past, not sure what they were, but would like to know.

From what I’ve been able to find out it is most probably normal. It could be caused by diet or what you eat right before bed time. I went to the doctor and had a series of brain scans and they said i had slightly elevated brain activity( I knew I was a genius)
it could also be a very mild form of epilepsy that many many people have and is not require treatment. they gave me some pills and it seemed to work but it has always happened so infrequently tha it could just be a coincedence.
more than likely with me it is physco-sematic( see my posts about my frequest strokes and heart attacks.) I think the general unhealthy lifestyle and enviroment here makes some people think they are on th verge of death.

don’t put any stock or base any type ofdecision based on anything I say or have said in the past because I often jump to conclusions and freak out over little things, I.E “shooting red star clusters”

I heard that it can be something to do with adrenaline levels?

It’s not apnea is it? I get jolted awake-even though seldom snore-every few months. I used to think it was earthquakes, but now I realise it’s just because my body forgot to breathe.

here’s a link and a quote…
newtechpub.com/phantom/faq/osa_faq.htm

This sounds to me like something I experienced before too. I stumbled on the answer years ago by accident, and it described exactly what happened to me. I’m sorry I can’t remember the term, but it is similar to “cyclonic jerk”. What happens is coming from the old brain system from when we were still in the trees. Falling asleep then was a much more dangerous proposition as there was a good chance we’d be eaten before morning. So this sudden waking with a jerking action is your brain keeping you vigilant to possible danger. Sleep was shorter in an effort to stay safe and this was the waking action. I guess beginning to fall asleep would set this into action as well. However, this phenomena usually occurs with a corresponding musical sound such as a note or a chord. They gave an explanation why, but again, it was years ago and I’ve forgotten. So with so many people experiencing this I think there is a good possibility that this is what is happening- an ancient waking technique to help keep us alive. Hope this explains something for someone.

I am guessing that most people feel a bit of a jerk at times. Just before dropping off to sleep.

This is the first time I have ever come across an explanation. If it was a hugging action then that would tend to stick us to the trees. Legs as happens to me would be more likely to launch us out of trees.

Possibly not a good reaction in that case.

I’m thinking that it could just be part of the process of falling asleep.

I sometimes wake up thinking that there’s an earthquake. Usually,
it’s just me shaking. I don’t think it’s a seizure. Maybe it is. Hope not.

Its not meant to stick us to the trees- its meant to wake us up in case of danger.

In my books, that is just called a wank.

Could be a a wank, or;

Hypnic jerk

A hypnic or hypnogogic jerk is an involuntary muscle twitch (more generally known as myoclonus or a myclonic twitch) which often occurs during the transition from wakefulness to sleep (see hypnogogia).

It is often described as an electric shock or falling sensation, and can cause movement of the body in bed. Hypnic jerks are completely normal, and are experienced by most people, especially when over-tired or sleeping uncomfortably.

The exact cause of the sudden jerks is not clear, but there are two main hypotheses to explain them. One is that it is a naturally occurring part of the sleep process, as are slower breathing, and reduced body temperature. Another hypothesis is that the feelings associated with relaxation before sleep are misinterpreted by the brain as falling or toppling over, and by reflex the body jerks out the limbs to stay upright.

Hypnic jerks are usually felt just once or twice per night. More regular (and usually less dramatic) muscle twitches often occur during normal sleep (perhaps as much as one every thirty seconds). In extreme cases, this may be classified as a disorder called periodic limb movement. The person with the disorder will usually sleep through the events, and the partner sleeping in the same bed is kept awake.

I get something where I wake up but can’t actually move. I always get it before I go to sleep - I drop off momentarily and then wake up suddenly.

I can’t get my arms, legs or anything else to move. My eyes can’t move but I can see and hear.
If I am shaken or touched then I will snap out of it - otherwise I have to wait and come out of it naturally which takes two to three minutes.

I can feel it coming on sometimes and prevent it from happening.

I saw the doctor and he said it was OK and not a seizure - I’m apparently catching myself between being asleep and awake-body sleeps, mind wakes up.

Maybe it is something like this. You will sometimes hear and buzzing sound in your head but in actual fact, this is not a seizure. (According to my doctor, anyway) - Plus I’m only 25 years old, so a seizure is unlikely.