I think I need to quit Forumosa

Last evening. 白沙灣

12 Likes

For a grouchy guy, you’re really into sunsets.

Are they a metaphor for our transient being on this earth? Our impending deaths? Do give us the dealo! : D

Guy

7 Likes

You are one funny guy @MalcolmReynolds. Goes on a rant about how taiwan would be nowhere near his first choice, proceeds to show off spectacular pics he took of Taiwan. Mixed messages. :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Spectacular. Now tell the lifeguards to let me swim.

6 Likes

Why are you replying to me??

It happens. Taiwan is a fun place, and a really fun place to raise kids. But look, if you come with wife and little kids, you absolutely need to plan well. All this forum stuff is beers outside 7-11 chitchatter. In TW you’ll be a safe and somewhat protected minority. Your kids will be friend magnets in school. Your spouse best be on the same page though. That’s the key.

1 Like

Sorry bro. Per the regulations, you’re only allowed to swim within the designated swim lines. If you want to go outside, you need a board of some type.

I’ve argued with my compatriots for years, but it’s not our decision. It comes from the North Coast Administration and we have to uphold the rules.

Also, I’ve fished way to many dead bodies out of here as it’s much more dangerous than it appears.

4 Likes

I knew there needed to be some sort of macabre lesson.

Thank you grouchy guy! : D

Guy

2 Likes

If only a nice sunset could fix all the negative aspects of the world!

Sigh.

2 Likes

I was chummy with a TW EMS river rescue guy for a while. Every day they pull bodies out of the waters in TW, mountains, rivers and beaches. Not always dumb kids, just dangerous currents, flash floods and sea monsters.

2 Likes

Miami beaches > Taiwan beaches! That’s why

I’ll grant you that, an anorexic friend of mine nearly drown as we were watching after she didn’t eat anything all day and was pulled out with the riptide

1 Like

I didn’t say it, this guy said it

This is it, you figured it out!

2 Likes

It really depends on what you want in life, and your budget. And, ultimately, what you are coming from, and going to. Has the OP been to Taiwan? Do they speak Mandarin, or at least want to learn? What sort of hobbies do they have?

I have been thinking about this fair bit lately. I am now in a position with my job that is pretty darn good, especially compared to before. But … we still want to move to Taiwan - mostly because we do not want to live here in Winnipeg anymore.

You think a year is bad?? My move date is summer 2024! That is when I can take my pension, and now that I am in a much, much better job position, it is an easy wait.

A few things to consider … Do you enjoy watching professional sports? Is it important to you? If it is, you will have issues accessing it in Taiwan. (Personally I hate professional sports, and it makes Taiwan that much more attractive to me). Are you married? Have kids? There are a lot of factors to consider …

But if you don’t need things in neatly wrapped tours,etc., Taiwan is an amazing place to explore for Nature lovers: mountains, rivers, lakes, and beaches, too. But … it is all a little bit rough around the edges. And that is what I love about it, personally. The cities are also cool to explore - truly chaotic metropolitan mazes of Asian coolness - every corner has a new shop, restaurant, you name it.

The thing is, the grass is always greener, for sure. But once again, depending on where you are coming from, sometimes it really, really is greener.

2 Likes

If you’re from Tora Bora the grass in Taiwan is awesome.

Lots of green grass there and also poppies.

2 Likes

What about the girls there? Tinder?

I think its more of the realities of day to day living than actual negativity. The first few years of being here, mostly everyone loves (new country, very exciting)

I’m on my 7th year and the magic is alive and well.

3 Likes