I think I need to quit Forumosa

That’s the price we pay for great defence against China.

2 Likes

oh. Thought you were going to teach English here, but I’ve caught up on the thread. If you’re a teacher it’s best not to come at the beginning of the school year.

1 Like

what are you planning to do as far as employment goes when you get here?

1 Like

Dream meets reality and often gets downgraded somewhat to a lot.

This! spending a weeks holiday somewhere and actually living there is completely different, I’m sure you already know this, but judging from your original post I fear you’ll quickly become disenchanted.

3 Likes

We have business income from the US that makes working not necessary, that’s why I called it a semi-retirement in one of the posts above. But there are a few things we will probably do:

1. my wife is a consultant of company culture…her company’s business is mostly in the US but she’s gonna look to expand more into Asia. The company has an affiliate in Japan already but no business elsewhere.
  2. I was a professional musician in a former life so I’d like to get back into it. If I end up getting a gold card for the arts then I’ll feel an obligation to really make that a focus.
  3. we might start a VC fund for investment into asia-based startups. If we need to get an entrepreneur or investment visa then this would become the focus.
1 Like

haha sure it is certainly true that living vs visiting is not the same. My first post may have given the wrong impression, however, as I have loved every place I’ve lived and I think that’s pretty true of my wife as well. We pretty much like every place we visit, too. I tried to emphasize that in my subsequent replies.

We are quite fortunate and we also just enjoy what the world has to offer which is why we probably will love Taiwan and it’s also why we probably will want to move on and experience more after a few years.

Wow just got a new like on this very old topic I started. Can’t believe it’s been 20 months since.

Anyway cheers to everyone. We will be heading to Taiwan around late July barring any major surprises. Still every bit as excited to head over, but not feeling as antsy or angst-y as I was in the OP.

8 Likes

That’s not an old topic. Welcome to come over !

1 Like

Hopefully we are not that far behind you.

Congratulations!

This thread somehow went under my radar the first time round. Skimming through it now, I’m always surprised and a little amused by how quickly some people respond to these kinds of posts with bitterness and assume that anybody who dreams of living in Taiwan is either naive or out of their mind. Taiwan is the only country in the world I want to live in (at least until retirement), so I completely empathise with you, even to the extent of wasting time reading old posts here and telling myself I need to quit. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hopefully I’ll head over later this year myself!

6 Likes

Coming to Taiwan was the best decision I made in years. Jury is still out on joining Forumosa, but it has provided lots of free entertainment and even some education, in addition to some frustration and perhaps too much time spent.

2 Likes

You already joined. Am I missing something?

1 Like

whether or not i’ve decided it was a good decision

1 Like

Forumosa is helpful and entertaining.

1 Like

I wrote this in 2020… meaning early 2021. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I’d be looking into getting a refund on that crystal ball of yours.

1 Like

I think I remember predicting the whole thing would be over in three months…so don’t feel too bad!

3 Likes

as i said

1 Like

It’s worth restating that none of us has ever seen something like this.

Our old notions of time and closure don’t quite fit do they.

Guy

1 Like

Ha yes definitely join later this year. I remember you of course, you had a bunch of questions and the same sorta wistful nostalgia as I did at around the same time 1.5-2 years ago

2 Likes