I used to like dogs, but now

Wanted to get a dog here. What stopped me is

• no nature to walk them

• this:

users2.ev1.net/~turton/pets.html

Quote:

“In both the houses in which we live locals have persistently tortured and attempted to murder our dogs. Our next-door neighbor used to cut up and sharpen chicken bones and dump them under our fence; fortunately our dog is so big he simply gobbled them up without harm.”

Well, I can really get fond of my dogs. Seeing one of the locals trying to kill it would probably cause problem to the … local and later to me, so I will not do it.

I used to be fond of the Taiwan people too, but seeing how they treat animals make me think of them as nasty little [I censored myself].

If my wife insits on getting one, I will make it a real nasty one I hate myself, maybe that helps me accepting the neighbours trying to beat it :raspberry:

quote “Your major problem in keeping pets will be the locals. Although there are plenty of locals who care for pets, Taiwanese dislike animals and actively abuse and torture them. This is not simply an anti-animal prejudice, but a facet of one of the fundamental behaviors of Taiwanese society: the principle that anything weaker must be abused, one also applied to humans.”

ummmmmm i might take what that guy says with a grain of salt

right, Tempo Gain, I read again and think this web site is making every problem 1 or 2 numbers larger. Maybe to warn guys from the west who come to Taiwan thinking the whole country is an adventure park for them.

But seeing people here hitting dogs makes me kind of angry, but okay, too many street dogs, too few space…

Nevertheless the Taiwan people have a bit of a carelessness towards animals.

Now that’s what I call an understatement. I know too many people here who have gained a pet just by rescuing them from death at the hands of a negligent seller.

This is not necessarily because the neighbour was trying to kill the dog. Taiwanese, as a society, are not used to keeping pets - this is a new custom. Therefore they often don’t know anything about taking care of pets. I know one older woman who insists on giving her daughter-in-law’s dog table scraps. She also gives him chicken bones, but she definitely is not trying to hurt him. She can see the dog wants to eat them, and he’s eaten them before with only a little gagging. She simply doesn’t believe that dogs shouldn’t eat chicken bones.

Now that’s what I call an understatement. I know too many people here who have gained a pet just by rescuing them from death at the hands of a negligent seller.[/quote]

okay, I was trying to be polite to my host country. Actually many Taiwanese are animal-molesting bastards and I wish those mistreating animals are reborn as streetdogs …

… get mistreated a while …

and end up adopted by a foreigner to see how dogs should be treated
:wink:

[quote=“bob_honest”]Wanted to get a dog here. What stopped me is

• no nature to walk them

• this:

Quote:

“In both the houses in which we live locals have persistently tortured and attempted to murder our dogs. Our next-door neighbor used to cut up and sharpen chicken bones and dump them under our fence; fortunately our dog is so big he simply gobbled them up without harm.”

Well, I can really get fond of my dogs. Seeing one of the locals trying to kill it would probably cause problem to the … local and later to me, so I will not do it.

I used to be fond of the Taiwan people too, but seeing how they treat animals make me think of them as nasty little [I censored myself].

If my wife insits on getting one, I will make it a real nasty one I hate myself, maybe that helps me accepting the neighbours trying to beat it :raspberry:[/quote]

You can try training your dog not to accept any food or offerings from anyone other than those in the family etc. This means that the sharpened chicken bones would be left alone.

[quote=“bob_honest”]Wanted to get a dog here. What stopped me is

• no nature to walk them

• this:

Quote:

If my wife insits on getting one, I will make it a real nasty one I hate myself, maybe that helps me accepting the neighbours trying to beat it :raspberry:[/quote]

You can try training your dog not to accept any food or offerings from anyone other than those in the family etc. This means that the sharpened chicken bones would be left alone.

If you have read the Juba dog saga posts you will know that I have somehow got myself saddled with three adult dogs, two puppies and a rabbit. A couple of days ago I caught a filthy flea-ridden lapdog (maerqisi = Maltese??) so now I have six dogs.

1. Dog shit

Taking the pack round the lanes at night, I carry a long-handled dustpan and brush, with which I sweep up any dog shit I see - whether it came from my dogs or not. I regard this as compensation for occasions when I may have missed my own dogs’ turds. The local nightwatchmen and street sweepers have seen what I’m doing and I think they appreciate it. Wouldn’t it be nice if all dog owners took collective responsibility for all dog shit in their area?

1. Chicken bones

I do feed my dogs chicken bones. The neck, spine, ribs, shoulder blades and other soft bits are harmless, as are the ends of the hard bones. I use garden shears to cut the hard bone shafts into sections of about 1cm. The dogs crunch these up merrily and I don’t think any harm will come of it. They need the calcium, I reckon.

p.s. Could this thread be merged with the Cats and Dogs in Taiwan thread or the one about dog shit on beaches?

My dog eats raw chicken drumsticks daily, and crunches the leg bones up very happily. He even brings them into the lounge to show me, the little fucker. The only time it has given him any obvious discomfort was when he swallowed one whole as a puppy, and squealed with pain trying to pass it out the other end.

not sure about this one but i think chicken bones are more of a problem when cooked

Cooked bones are the problem, not raw.

Avoid old bones or weight bearing bones on large animals though (lamb shanks are great for a total workout for your dog!

It’s actually much healthier feeding this way than with dog food.

For those unfamiliar with it, here is a site re the BARF (Bones And Raw Food) diet.