I want to leave a terrible ESL job with only a few days notice - could I run into any problems?

Aside from the obvious “it’s a bad thing you do to your colleagues/school” (I know it’s not ideal, I don’t want you go into detail but it’s necessary in this situation!) - can anyone tell me if I’d run into any issues by doing this?

From what I’ve been able to find, I should give 10 days notice as I’ve been there 6 months. But from what I’ve also found, it I was to leave with no notice, there is no enforceable recourse for them other than a civil suit, which would cost them more than is worthwhile and never happens?

Am I correct in this or does anyone know if I could cause issues for myself by doing this?

Also, I have a health condition which makes it difficult to work the high number of hours they have forced me to take on, hence why I am leaving for a new job with the hours I can handle. I believe this would make me exempt from giving notice as I have asked them to reduce my hours because of this condition, but they instead increased them. Just thought I’d add that as I kind of have that to fall back on

Thanks in advance for any advice!

You might be better served posting this in Legal.

2 Likes

… and you are finding this in the terms of the contract you signed with them, right?

Beyond the contract, you might consult the Council of Labor Affairs or the MoE (I do not know if these are actually the appropriate agency), but if the problem is that they are giving you TOO MUCH work that is still IN LINE WITH the terms of the contract, then I would not expect much support there. Unless you can somehow frame this convincingly like a grievance.

Otherwise, the main thing you might worry about is whether the school would pull your work visa, and therefore you would have only days (or a couple weeks) to sort out your visa status or have to leave. And if you are a permanent resident to begin with, then you probably don’t have other issues to worry about.

Bottom line: there should be limits or penalties described in your contract

1 Like

14 days, I believe.

I’m not a permanent resident. I was under the impression you can get an ARC extension of 6 months fairly easily? But I don’t really know anything about how to do this so any info is welcome! Although I’m sure the info is out there for me to find somewhere, I haven’t looked yet.

Also, I will only be quitting once I’ve got another job secured. I have a promising interview next week though so that could be sooner rather than later! Someone below indicated I’d have 2 weeks even without getting the ARC extension, so would it not be fairly simple to transfer my ARC to the new employer once the current one cancels my current ARC?

I don’t know if you get 2 weeks, but you do get 6month+6month after quitting a job, you just need to take the letter of termination to immigration as proof. Once that is submitted you’re good for 12months.(but remember to extend it after the original 6months again)

You have 14 days after your employer cancels your work permit to either leave the country or get an extension.

From an ease of life standpoint, both here and abroad, I strongly recommend getting a job before quitting your current one. It looks much better to future employers if you have a job and want to switch than if you quit a job you didn’t have for long and want a new one.

1 Like

literally doesn’t matter. I did it multiple times, employers don’t care, you can make up your entire resume as long as you fit the bill.

1 Like

Haha yeah I think this is a rare situation where the Taiwanese bosses are actually lovely (in a personable way, still happy to force me to work a crazy amount of hours and get me to do loads of stuff unpaid, bad organisation etc.), but it’s the Western manager who’s the real jerk! Absolutely the worst boss I’ve ever had, and I’ve had my share of really bad ones! Unbelievably rude and aggressive for no reason, to everybody (kids, other staff, everyone). Just some weirdo on a power trip. And objectively a really bad manager too, even without being horrible to everyone.

The insane hours, being out of the house 12 hours a day, massive class sizes with no supporting teachers are the main reason I’m leaving. The horrible boss is the reason I want to leave with immediate effect and not feel guilty about it!

Thanks for the reassurance that it can be done with no issues. I’ll contact the agencies mentioned on here on Tuesday morning and check what I have to do once I have the release letter.

Do you still think it’s worth getting the 6 month extension even if I have an offer from another school when I resign from this one? Or just get the new school to apply for the ARC as soon as I’m released?

I literally had a 6month extension job seekers visa for 2 weeks and found a job 2 weeks later and switched my visa to them. I then quit that job mid contract after 7months, and got another 6month visa extension, until I found another job 2-3months later.

You are not a slave and like I said, contact the Ministry of Labor who will be able to give you guidance, but what I did was just straight up told my boss I want to quit in 10-days(literally called off every other day in those 10days, think I showed up 2x) and told them to prepare all the paperwork necessary. I got the letter of release, I MADE SURE I got all my money(they are legally not allowed to deduct money or fine you from salary), and the stamped letter of release from the company(which you need for the 6month extension)

Took that letter, passport, passport photos, and just did the paperwork at immigration office and came back in 10-days to pickup my new 6month visa extension.

Your current manager might try guilt trip you with some bs, DONT FALL FOR IT, don’t budge, get your $, get your letter, and proceed to be happy. I was in your situation for a year hating my life because of my job until I just snapped and left. Not worth it, esp if you got enough $ saved up.

Just be sure to follow the necessary steps. Literally shit isn’t difficult, I’m a veteran at just dropping shit jobs within months if need be. They make it seem difficult and guilt trip you because they don’t want you to do it.

4 Likes

Thanks for this! I’d seen in other places that this was in theory possible, and was planning to do something similar, but first hand advice is really reassuring! I have a good excuse in that I’ve been suffering from a genuine health condition which they know about, I can just say it’s got worse and I’m going back home and call in for most of the remaining days on that basis.

Just a final question about the ARC, if I’m successful in my interview next week, get offered a position say starting the following week, my ARC extension is still in process… can I work for the new company and earn money, whilst waiting for the ARC extension to be issued, and waiting again to transfer this ARC to the new company?

I was able to work for my current company whilst waiting for the ARC to be issued, so I’m hoping that I will this time, too.

10 working days which equals two weeks. But some places will try to claim it as 14 working days. I had one place try to claim I had to work 2 months before they would let me go. I wasn’t even on contract. And used that claim to argue for wages for classes that the manager had cancelled on me with no notice.

*just noticed you were talking about ARC cancellation. I think that’s 1 month now. And MoI are still doing automatic visa extensions. Not sure if they apply to people with expiring ARC visas tho.

I’ll check what the deal is with the MoL on Tuesday, thanks for your response! If it’s a month then that’s perfect!

Just sayin’. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

You may find this of interest:

1 Like

About getting an extension, I don’t know if it’s required but when I changed jobs I was asked for proof of an offer from my new job as reason for extension, but wanting to look for a job might be reason enough. Also, you absolutely should get an extension and don’t bet on all paperwork going through smoothly and you not getting covid and your new job not screwing around within 14 days. If nothing has changed, a 6 month extension has a cost, $1 or 2K, but there’s a shorter extension that’s free. I think when I did it, my ARC was expiring and they gave me an A4 paper with my photo and info and said that was my ARC until I came back and applied for a real one.
Also, if you’re planning to get an APRC in the future, getting an extension counts towards that. You don’t start over.