I want to make me some easy pasta, no polenta?

OK, my daughter and I were watching BBC Lifestyle and this woman whipped up some easy pasta in seconds.
She used 100g of flour and an egg per person. Rolled it and sprinkled polenta, some kind of corn flour to keep it from sticking.
She folded it cut it and then unfolded it with no stickiness what so ever.

OK, so what can I use. It has to be readily available in a small Taiwanese town. I’ve got one of those baking supply stores that serve the bakeries, baotze and dumpling shops.

In our playing with bread, sticking has always been an issue. Suggestion please. I want to make some tomorrow.
Yes, what is double o flour, I think she said, is that all purpose known as “middle”? If it is special flour, I’m sure I can’t get it. What can I substitute?

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]OK, my daughter and I were watching BBC Lifestyle and this woman whipped up some easy pasta in seconds.
She used 100g of flour and an egg per person. Rolled it and sprinkled polenta, some kind of corn flour to keep it from sticking.
She folded it cut it and then unfolded it with no stickiness what so ever.

OK, so what can I use. It has to be readily available in a small Taiwanese town. I’ve got one of those baking supply stores that serve the bakeries, baotze and dumpling shops.

In our playing with bread, sticking has always been an issue. Suggestion please. I want to make some tomorrow.
Yes, what is double o flour, I think she said, is that all purpose known as “middle”? If it is special flour, I’m sure I can’t get it. What can I substitute?[/quote]

It’s not polenta, it’s semolina, coarse wheatmeal. The stuff they actually use to make pasta from according to the type. De Cecco (brandname) has it and I think it’s available at Jason or City Super.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]
It’s not polenta, it’s semolina, coarse wheatmeal. The stuff they actually use to make pasta from according to the type. De Cecco (brandname) has it and I think it’s available at Jason or City Super.[/quote]

No, it is definitely polenta. I’m no looking for something gourmet or earth shattering. Just an easy spaghetti that I can cook with the kids…

Here’s the video clip…
They say 00 flour is necessary because it will save hard work. I’m not sure I can get it here. The nearest city is Kaohsiung. I’d like some easy substitutions. bbcnordic.com/video/?v=441134

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”][quote=“Belgian Pie”]
It’s not polenta, it’s semolina, coarse wheatmeal. The stuff they actually use to make pasta from according to the type. De Cecco (brandname) has it and I think it’s available at Jason or City Super.[/quote]

No, it is definitely polenta. I’m no looking for something gourmet or earth shattering. Just an easy spaghetti that I can cook with the kids…

Here’s the video clip…
They say 00 flour is necessary because it will save hard work. I’m not sure I can get it here. The nearest city is Kaohsiung. I’d like some easy substitutions. bbcnordic.com/video/?v=441134[/quote]

Semolina is not an earth shatering ingredient, it’s an ingredient for pasta and can be used the same way you would use the polenta, which is corn (mais).

TaiwanStudent, is your goal easy pasta (final dish), or is your goal easy pasta (homemade pasta noodles)? For the former (that means an easy pasta final dish), buy the pasta noodles already made, fresh or dried, and cook them according to instructions. Have you tried this yet?

For the latter (that means you’re making your own noodles from scratch), please trust people like Belgian Pie, who REALLY REALLY know their food, rather than questioning what they say.

Polenta is NOT a dry powder you add to stop homemade pasta noodles from sticking. Rather, it is a porridge (congee, like 粥) made from cooking ground corn with water. If you saw a video saying you should add polenta, then the maker of the video is an IDIOT. You should be aware by now that there are lots of IDIOTS out there. :wink:

To make good pasta from scratch, you add semolina (ground hard wheat called durum) to an egg and a pinch of salt and mix it and knead it well. Once mixed, you let it rest, covered in plastic wrap, then you work it again and pass it through your rollers and cutters, sprinkling with extra semolina flour or finely ground cornmeal flour just to prevent sticking. Cook, or hang to dry then cook.

Note that homemade fresh pasta cooks very differently (and quickly) from the eggless industrial pasta. If you like the really al dente style, stick with the latter. If you want to be able to incorporate things like saffron or pureed organic spinach and don’t mind a softer texture, make homemade. The OO is just for a silkier texture AFAIK, but since it’s not common here I can’t make an authoritative statement on it. It’s available at PNP I think.

00 is basically just a fine grade of flour–ordinary all-purpose flour is an ordinary substitute, and works fine. I just sprinkle it with more flour personally.

Thanks, I’m looking for something just for fun. I really don’t have a kitchen equipped for the stuff. I just want to throw together something equal or little better than store bought stuff and to smother it in sauce anyway. Probably from a jar.
That person is an idiot, but got on the BBC cooking channels.
The video is linked to my previous post.

Without equipment, you can just use a knife, or ruler and knife or pizza cutter i/o a pasta machine btw, although the machines are really good for working the dough, which should be VERY stiff. IME homemade noodles aren’t somehow better than good store-bought ones, and remember, they cook very quickly. If you want a better meal, I recommend you start by making better sauces (not hard).

So true!

Great. First, you guys are probably in Taipei. You have the advantage of getting real ingredients. If anyone is in Kaohsiung with kids and or would not mind inviting me and perhaps my eldest daughter, 7th grade for a cooking session. Heck, budget out the cost, we’ll pay our share. I’m a total novice because I hardly cook.

Also, Dragon Bones and Belgian Pie. You ought to visit a typical Taiwanese baking/dry goods store and see what our limitations are on the ingredients we can find. Then, please create a Taiwan Western food survival guide for people stuck in the Taiwan Bush. Self publish it on Amazon for a couple dollars. I’d probably buy it. Give me some easy sauce recipes. My wife follows in the steps of my American Mom, basically taking a Jared sauce as its base, then adding her own seasoning and meat. I think that’s the way most lazy Americans do things. Anyway… any easy sauce recopies would be most appreciated.

Dragonbones and Belgian Pie are correct, in that a good quality dried pasta is as good as a home-made one. Hell, there are regions in Italy they have utter disdain for pasta that’s not dried. The sauce is what it’s about.

Good sauces are easy. You have to get the basics right, though. They are really simple, but take a little practice and experimentation.

If you see a recipe that needs, say, crab, and you can’t get any, substitute shrimp, or any other shellfish.

It wants Parma ham but you’re not shlepping all the way to Parma? Try some smoked chicken.

It needs zucchini but your 7-eleven doesn’t have any? Substitute with eggplant or yellow peppers.

No matter where you are in Taiwan, you can always find garlic, basil, tomatoes, olive oil, butter and cream: the bases for all great pasta sauces.

Here are some wonderful basic recipes for pasta sauce. They are not cast in stone; merely guides:

rachaelraymag.com/food-how-t … ce-recipes

bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6995 … asil-sauce

jamieoliver.com/recipes/past … spaghetti/

food.com/recipe/my-super-sim … uce-266734

Most of those will require tweaking to suit your taste and budget, as well as availability of ingredients. Experiment! :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with Italian-made dry pasta at all, but it’s a different animal than homemade egg pasta. The latter is a labor of love and not really comparable to the former. I normally go the former route–who doesn’t these days–but there’s still nothing like home made egg noodles, on occasion.

What kind of sauce do you like TS? Meat, or no? Tomatoes? There are loads of kinds, and they’re mostly really easy for anyone.

Yeah, I know the limitations. I’m in Taibei, and still do most from scratch, just because it’s fun to do, cost effective, and better than store-bought. Here are a pesto and a tomato sauce recipe. You can simplify if you like:

Basic Pesto:

Pesto

2 cups fresh basil leaves (save a few for garnish)
5 medium garlic cloves, chopped roughly and sauteed in 2/3 c. pure olive oil to reduce sharpness
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or pecorini romano, or grana padano) – save a tad for garnish
1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts (cheaper), lightly toasted in toaster oven
1/2 tsp. salt; dash of black pepper
More extra virgin olive oil as needed for consistency and richness

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process on high speed till evenly chopped pureed.

HOW TO USE:
Cook your pasta noodles. Drain. Heat a frying pan. Add 2-4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Add 2 Tbsp (tablespoons) of the pesto, and optionally a few Tbsp of whole milk or light cream, and stir quickly. Add your drained pasta noodles. Stir quickly to coat the noodles with the pesto sauce. If the sauce is too thick to blend well with the noodles, add a quarter cup or less of water, and keep stirring. Cook about one minute. Turn off heat and serve. Garnish with grated hard Italian cheese (see above), and a couple of basil leaves.

===============================

Basic Italian Tomato Pasta Sauce

Equipment: a good stock pot. Use a potato masher to mash the canned tomatoes if they’re in overly large chunks, or chop up with a knife after draining, or use a stick blender or food processor

Ingredients:
Pure (not extra virgin, not pomace) olive oil, about 3 T (T =tablespoons)
1 onion, chopped
Roughly 6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped (use less or more depending on how much you like garlic)
Roughly 400 grams of minced pork OR ground beef. Some of this can be Italian sausage, but don’t use Taiwanese sausages.
And either: four to six cans of Italian tomatoes (the best are Roma stewed with basil; and finely diced is best but any will do), with the liquid from 2 cans, e.g. the small cans from Costco, PLUS 1 T sugar just to cut acidity, not to make it sweet.
or: two - three cans of the above plus one jar of better quality pasta sauce (at least $130/jar) plus ½ T of sugar
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons of dried Italian spices (add early)
2 teaspoons of garlic spice mix from Costco, optional
handful of fresh basil leaves, or 1 tsp dried basil (fresh herbs are always better; add near the very end, especially for fresh basil) optional
Good quality Italian noodles
Optional: 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced or
½ can of sliced black olives
I like to also soak some dried mushrooms in boiling water for a while, add this now brownish water to the sauce, finely mince the stems, and mince the shrooms, to add more umami to the sauce. Optionally also melt an anchovy or two into the oil at the start of the whole process.
and/or grated Parmesan, Grana Padano or Romano cheese, to taste, ¼ c to ½ c, optional
Salt to taste, but only after adding the olives and cheese, and tasting!

Directions: Sauté ground meat in olive oil until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onions, garlic, and, if adding, mushrooms, in pure olive oil until the mushrooms are tender and the onion is soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, crushing large chunks with your large spoon or spatula (or chop on a board first). Add all spices including the dried basil if using, but don’t add fresh basil yet, if using. Stew 5 minutes, stirring. Add pasta sauce if using, plus the sugar. Stir.

Reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce for 20-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want the sauce to thicken but not burn. A very heavy-bottomed stockpot is much less likely to burn. Stir more often as you get later into the cooking process. TASTE the sauce to see if it is spicy enough and salty enough. If too acidic, add a touch of sugar, and change to a different brand of tomatoes the next time.

Feel free to add more of the spices, especially the garlic spice powder mix, a dash of olive oil, salt, etc., until it tastes delicious. (Meanwhile, cook just enough noodles for one meal. Remember to add 1 tablespoon of salt to the water while heating it. Let it boil before you add the noodles. After the first 5-6 minutes, eat a noodle once every minute or so until they are ‘al dente’, or Q-Q-的. It should take about 7 minutes total for spaghetti, and 2-5 minutes longer than that for thick shapes… Do NOT overcook until soft. Remember, they will keep cooking in the hot water even after you turn the flame off, so make sure you serve the pasta immediately when it reaches the al dente stage. If not ready to serve, pull the noodles out of the water, and toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil to protect them from drying out.

When the noodles are done, turn off the heat. Stir the fresh basil into the pasta sauce (saving two leaves for a garnish, if desired) and also turn off the heat for that. Drain the hot water out of the noodles pot immediately, to prevent them from continuing to cook. Serve immediately, sprinkling a little Parmesan cheese on top of each bowl of noodles and sauce.

There are three ways to add the sauce to noodles. One is just to heap some of the sauce atop the noodles, then garnish and serve. Another is to mix some of the sauce with the noodles in a bowl or pot, then serve that. The third is to mix some of the sauce with the noodles in a frying pan, with the heat on, cooking it for one minute or so to “meld” the sauce with the noodles. You might have to add a little water (1-2 Tablespoons) if doing this, so the sauce doesn’t get too thick.

Have you tried places like the Gaoxiong Jason’s,
ChengGong 1st Road #266 (高雄市成功一路266-1)

or the DIY shops on this list below?

Gāoxióng / Gaoxiong / Kaohsiung:

德興烘焙原料專賣場
高雄市十全二路101號
07-311-4311

德麥食品公司
高雄市正言路107巷3號13F-1
07-725-9930

十代公司
高雄市懷安街30號
07-381-3275

玉記香料行
高雄市六合一路147號
07-236-0333
旺來昌食品原料行
高雄市前鎮區公正路181號
07-713-5345

新鈺成食品原料行
高雄市前鎮區前鎮二巷4-17號
07-811-4029

薪豐食品行
高雄市苓雅區福德一路75號
07-722-2083

烘培家食品原料行
高雄市左營區至聖路147號
07-348-7226

正大行
高雄市新興區五福二路156號
07-261-9852

————————

Gāoxióng County

順慶食品原料行
高雄縣鳳山市中山路237號
07-746-2908

茂盛原料行
高雄縣岡山鎮前峰路29-2號
07-625-9679

旺來興食品原料行
高雄縣烏松鄉大華村本館路151號
07-392-2223

福市企業公司
高雄縣仁武鄉高梅村後港巷145號
07-346-3428

———————————-

Sometimes the ingredients are available (e.g. online) and you just have to know where to look, or how to ask. Ruten and PCHomeShopping deliver all kinds of stuff including food. You might be suprised what’s actually available to you.

or sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds …

[quote] If too acidic, add a touch of sugar, and change to a different brand of tomatoes the next time. [/quote] BTW, tomato sauce needs no sugar, add a little baking soda to take away the acidity if you don’t like it …

In Taiwan it’s really easy and cheap to make a a ‘pumpkin’ sauce with squash all year round …

Mushroom ‘cream’ sauce …

It’s all real easy, use your creativity, experiment.

Technically baking soda cuts the acidity, but it leaves a baking soda taste. I’ve tried that. Sugar works better for me, usually just 1-2 T in a big pasta batch, and I prefer brown sugar. It’s nothing like the amount added in commercial sauces, of course.

Concur!