I want to work as blue collar job in Taiwan

Hello, I am a Filipino married to an American and residing in Taiwan as dependent (husband with APRC). I have been here since November 2011. I have trouble finding a job even the blue collar jobs. Recently there’s a job that I really want. The pay is not white collar but quite good. I heard from a friend who works with a human resource agency that my case is special. Since I am dependent to my husband, I can only work if the company will apply for my work permit and that it should be white collar (with min salary of 40k something), which is hard to find.

Any helpful information?

This gonna be my first full time job in Taiwan. :pray:

[quote=“annmae@gmail.com”]Hello, I am a Filipino married to an American and residing in Taiwan as dependent (husband with APRC). I have been here since November 2011. I have trouble finding a job even the blue collar jobs. Recently there’s a job that I really want. The pay is not white collar but quite good. I heard from a friend who works with a human resource agency that my case is special. Since I am dependent to my husband, I can only work if the company will apply for my work permit and that it should be white collar (with min salary of 40k something), which is hard to find.

Any helpful information?

This gonna be my first full time job in Taiwan. :pray:[/quote]

Your husband has an APRC. What visa do you have? JFRV?

If you have a JFRV you can do what you like and don’t need a permit.

As far as I am aware, you only get a JFRV by marrying a Taiwan national.
Marrying someone with a APRC, will not get you this visa.

[color=#FF0000]FALSE.[/color] The OP’s husband is an American citizen, not a Taiwanese citizen. A dependent with a JFRV based on a foreigner’s APRC is not entitled to unrestricted work rights and must get their own work-permit in order to legally work.

[quote=“bigduke6”]As far as I am aware, you only get a JFRV by marrying a Taiwan national.
Marrying someone with a APRC, will not get you this visa.[/quote]
[color=#FF0000]FALSE.[/color] A foreign spouse of a foreign national on either an employment based ARC or an APRC is qualified and entitled to a JFRV based ARC. However, a dependent ARC based on a foreigner’s employment based ARC or APRC is only entitled to legally reside in Taiwan with their sponsoring spouse. It doesn’t allow any entitlement to working.

A foreign spouse on a JFRV based ARC married to a Taiwanese citizen is the only JFRV status which has unrestricted work rights.

To the OP AnnMae:

You [color=#FF0000]do not[/color] have unrestricted work rights as a dependent of your APRC carrying non-Taiwanese husband. In order to work legally, a company must provide you with a work-permit. So, the company must justify to the government why they should be allowed to hire you for the job instead of a Taiwanese citizen. If they have an excellent reason, then the company will be granted permission to hire you and apply for a work-permit on your behalf. Also, you need 2 years of verifiable work experience in the same job field as the job you are applying for. I doubt that you will be granted permission for a blue collar work permit as there are so many blue collar workers in Taiwan who are in need of a job and most likely able to do the job you are applying for. The only job I can think of off hand that you might be qualified for is to be a foreign worker dormitory manager. I’ve seen these jobs advertised and they require English and Tagalog ability in order to manage the foreign workers from the Philippines living in a company’s dormitory. You might be uniquely qualified for this type of job and a company might be able to apply for a work-permit for you based on the English/Tagalog requirement for the position.

Hope this sheds some light on your situation and why it’s going to be very difficult for you to find legal blue collar employment in Taiwan. Best of luck to you. :bow:

Good day everyone.

My employer mentioned that the CLA told them that my salary should be 40kNTD(white collar job), in which the nature of the job is blue collar.

Please advice on this, or maybe i should apply work permit myself.

Thank you.

[quote=“annmae@gmail.com”]Good day everyone.

My employer mentioned that the CLA told them that my salary should be 40kNTD(white collar job), in which the nature of the job is blue collar.

Please advice on this, or maybe i should apply work permit myself.

Thank you.[/quote]

It sounds like your (prospective) employer is making all the right noises to get you your ARC. As NorthCoast Surfer said, it’s up to them to justify to the government why they should give the job to you, rather than a local; it’s just a big game, but it sounds like they know how to play it. So all you can really do is let them do their thing and hope for the best. You can’t apply for an ARC yourself unless you’re self-employed (ie., starting your own company and bringing investment capital).

If you have a skill that locals don’t, it doesn’t matter whether it would be traditionally considered “blue collar”. All that matters is that the employer can show that they can’t get that skill locally. The gov’t is getting a lot more open-minded about this concept lately, although whether that extends to people from the Philippines (I’m sure you’ve heard the rumours) is another matter entirely. Anyway, if the application is in progress, the “yes” or “no” comes fairly quickly. A couple of weeks, usually.

[quote=“annmae@gmail.com”]maybe i should apply work permit myself.[/quote]You can’t apply for a work-permit yourself. A prospective employer must “sponsor” a foreign employee by applying for a work-permit on their behalf. It is up to the company to justify to the government their need to hire a foreign national and why that job can’t be performed by a Taiwan citizen.

Actually, they are willing to apply for my work permit, until they found out that there is a min salary requirement.

Taiwanese cannot perform the job said coz, its main customers are Filipinos (the truth is, it is a remittance company-remit money in behalf of Filipinos).

So, the company told me to try to find out more info about it, or check out at CLA.

Praying for the best. Thanks a lot guys.

Maybe I think too much, but it seems to me that, if they want to actually fill the position, they should pay you the required minimum salary :loco:

Well, everybody in the same position get same salary, including me if they will hire me… so, my fear is, they might not hire me coz of that min salary requirement, (other Filipinos with dual nationality, or taiwan passport holder dont have this problem) sigh… :frowning:

NT40K++ salary is not for blue collar last time I check. . that is the minimum salary for white collar job. the exact amount is nearer NT47,900blue collar job salary starts from mininum NT17K. I understand your need to support your family back home, but if I were you, I will not risk your status as dependent of your spouse. there is no legal way for you to work here base on your current status unless the company sponsors the work permit. I know for a fact that those remittance companies do not qualify (can not apply for working permit) in hiring foreign employees so they will not be able to hire you.

to Northcoast,

FALSE. [color=#FF0000]A foreign spouse of a foreign national on either an employment based ARC or an APRC is qualified and entitled to a JFRV based ARC. [/color]However, a dependent ARC based on a foreigner’s employment based ARC or APRC is only entitled to legally reside in Taiwan with their sponsoring spouse. It doesn’t allow any entitlement to working.

[color=#FF0000]A foreign spouse on a JFRV based ARC married to a Taiwanese citizen is the only JFRV status which has unrestricted work rights.[/color]

those two sentences contradicts each other. Only foreign spouses married to Taiwanese citizen have unrestricted work rights.

[quote=“dasaint”]to Northcoast,

FALSE. [color=#FF0000]A foreign spouse of a foreign national on either an employment based ARC or an APRC is qualified and entitled to a JFRV based ARC. [/color]However, a dependent ARC based on a foreigner’s employment based ARC or APRC is only entitled to legally reside in Taiwan with their sponsoring spouse. It doesn’t allow any entitlement to working.

[color=#FF0000]A foreign spouse on a JFRV based ARC married to a Taiwanese citizen is the only JFRV status which has unrestricted work rights.[/color]

those two sentences contradicts each other. Only foreign spouses married to Taiwanese citizen have unrestricted work rights.[/quote]
Well, let’s see. I’ve been wrong before, so it’s no stretch that I might have contradicted myself. However, I was responding to two separate posts and they shouldn’t be taken out of context in order to keep my intended meaning. Therefore, let’s examine my contradictory statements as they were orginally made.

Here, Charlie Phillips makes a false statement regardng JFRV and unrestricted work rights. If a foreigner married to a Taiwanese citizen has a JFRV, then yes, it’s true that they have unrestricted work rights and don’t need a permit. However, if the JFRV holder is married to another foreigner who is either on an employment based ARC or an APRC, then they don’t have unrestricted work rights and must get a work-permit based on their own qualifications for employment. The response to his statement below, doesn’t appear to be incorrect to me. Why do you think it’s incorrect?

[color=#FF0000]FALSE.[/color] The OP’s husband is an American citizen, not a Taiwanese citizen. A dependent with a JFRV based on a foreigner’s APRC is not entitled to unrestricted work rights and must get their own work-permit in order to legally work.[/quote]

Here, bigduke6 states that the only way to get a JFRV is by being married to a Taiwan citizen and being married to a foreigner on an APRC won’t get you a JFRV. That’s false. I’ve known many foreigners on employment based ARCs who sponsored their wives for a JFRV ARC. The dependent wives had the right to reside in Taiwan with their employment based ARCs husbands, but didn’t have unrestricted work rights. In order to work, they had to be sponsored by a company for their own work-permit. The same is true for foreigners who hold an APRC. They can sponsor their spouse for a JFRV ARC, but they also don’t have unrestricted work rights, either. My response below also doesn’t look incorrect. Why do you think this is wrong?

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“bigduke6”]As far as I am aware, you only get a JFRV by marrying a Taiwan national.
Marrying someone with a APRC, will not get you this visa.[/quote]
[color=#FF0000]FALSE.[/color] A foreign spouse of a foreign national on either an employment based ARC or an APRC is qualified and entitled to a JFRV based ARC. However, a dependent ARC based on a foreigner’s employment based ARC or APRC is only entitled to legally reside in Taiwan with their sponsoring spouse. It doesn’t allow any entitlement to working.

A foreign spouse on a JFRV based ARC married to a Taiwanese citizen is the only JFRV status which has unrestricted work rights.[/quote]

So, in conclusion, I don’t believe that I’ve contradicted myself at all. If you still think I have, please point out the errors in my thought process.

Take these three hypothetical situations. They don’t appear contradictory to me.

1. An American wife can have a dependent JFRV ARC based on her American husband’s APRC, but she can’t work legally. Residency only. No work-permit, no legal work.

2. An American wife can have a dependent JFRV ARC based on her American husband’s employment based ARC, but she can’t work legally. Residency only, no work-permit, no legal work.

3. An American wife can have a dependent JFRV ARC based on her Taiwanese husband. Then, she gets residency and unrestricted work rights.

I hate being wrong. Please correct me. :bow:

I have seen JFRV become synonymous with being married to a Taiwanese in most post in this forum while foreign dependents are simply just called that, foreign dependents. Thus, when anyone posts that he/she is on a JFRV visa, everyone already assumes that he/she has open work permit. SO let’s analyze your post again:

[color=#FF0000]A foreign spouse of a foreign national on either an employment based ARC or an APRC is qualified and entitled to a JFRV based ARC.[/color] Here you are talking about a JFRV ARC.

[color=#FF0000]However, a dependent ARC based on a foreigner’s employment based ARC or APRC is only entitled to legally reside in Taiwan with their sponsoring spouse. It doesn’t allow any entitlement to working.[/color] Yet here you are talking about a [color=#FF0000]dependent[/color] based ARC.

[color=#FF0000]A foreign spouse on a JFRV based ARC married to a Taiwanese citizen is the only JFRV status which has unrestricted work rights.[/color] Again here you are talking about a JFRV based ARC.

Granted, that the term JFRV = dependent, would it not be more clearer, and more consistent if you used just one term for those three sentences in your post? Then, dummies like me will not have arrived to the WRONG conclusion that you are contradicting yourself. :sunglasses:

[quote=“dasaint”]I have seen JFRV become synonymous with being married to a Taiwanese in most post in this forum while foreign dependents are simply just called that, foreign dependents. Thus, when anyone posts that he/she is on a JFRV visa, everyone already assumes that he/she has open work permit. SO let’s analyze your post again:

[color=#FF0000]A foreign spouse of a foreign national on either an employment based ARC or an APRC is qualified and entitled to a JFRV based ARC.[/color] Here you are talking about a JFRV ARC.

[color=#FF0000]However, a dependent ARC based on a foreigner’s employment based ARC or APRC is only entitled to legally reside in Taiwan with their sponsoring spouse. It doesn’t allow any entitlement to working.[/color] Yet here you are talking about a [color=#FF0000]dependent[/color] based ARC.

[color=#FF0000]A foreign spouse on a JFRV based ARC married to a Taiwanese citizen is the only JFRV status which has unrestricted work rights.[/color] Again here you are talking about a JFRV based ARC.

Granted, that the term JFRV = dependent, would it not be more clearer, and more consistent if you used just one term for those three sentences in your post? Then, dummies like me will not have arrived to the WRONG conclusion that you are contradicting yourself. :sunglasses:[/quote]

Ok. Not one of my best/clearest posts I guess. I wrote it late at night. I see where my terms can be confusing. :blush:

But, we do both agree on the situation regarding the OP, right? She’s a foreign national married to an American citizen who has an APRC and both are residing in Taiwan. I’m assuming that she has a JFRV ARC sponsored by her American husband. Else, she’s on a visitor’s visa and has to leave every few months which would be a pain in the ass. So, she probably has a JFRV ARC through her husband and has the legal right to residency in Taiwan, but doesn’t have open work rights and needs a company to sponsor her for a work-permit so she can work legally. Do we agree to agree this time? :roflmao: Love you man! :sunglasses:

I think I should just get another beer and catch a few more waves! Afterall, I’m still on vacation! :laughing:

Of course! In fact, I do agree with your post, specially now after you have explained it :slight_smile: