I was Attacked by my boss, her daughter AND her husband

I don’t know who you are TOE SAVE, but perhaps you need to brush up on your reading skills.

1. The contract I signed stated that if I just quit, they would take $20,000 from my pay, hence my saying I would stay until they found a new teacher

2. I NEVER called my boss a “psycho”, nor did I ever say “fuck you I quit”. As stated above (in case you missed it) I told them I no longer wished to work for them, but would stay until THEY FOUND A NEW TEACHER.

3. They decided to FIRE ME instead of looking for a new teacher, so that not only would I not have a job, but they could also try to take the money from my pay due to the contract (even though this is illegal).

4. SO the two weeks notice or two weeks pay is for being FIRED not for quitting.

5. I did not say anything to my boss about being carzy until after they attacked me ( and to those of you who think this is exaggerating, yes, I chose the word attacked because, well, when you have three people grabbing at you and screaming in your face and one who is trying to restrain your hands, all because they won’t give you back a piece of paper that they GAVE you in the first place, maybe you’ll feel that attacked was an appropriate term). At the time, I merely asked if they were crazy, I did not even accuse them of being crazy.

6. I did not post here for anyone’s sympathy, I posted here to get advice about what I could do. If you have no advice other than “suck it up because it’s all your fault, even though I can’t read and have no right to be giving advice” than I wish you’d keep your comments to yourself.

7. Thank you to the people on this forum who have not made a disturbing experience even worse by blaming me for my bosses actions.

To the people who helped me with their comments and support, I thank you and wish to bring you up to date:

My boss wants me back! She says that she does not want to fire me and that I can come back to the school to finish my contract, come back to the school and wok until they find a new teacher, or just quit now with no repercussions!

I told the labor woman that is dealing with them to please tell them I would not return to work for them as I would be in fear of my safety. As the daughter did not leave marks on my skin (perhaps I should have let her keep twisting it until it bruised before I struggled out of her grasp?) they cannot do anything about that, but oh well, I’m sure someday something bad will happen to her. Right now I’ll say karma would be a good thing to believe in.

So I will recieve my pay for the days I worked this month, with no deductions. Of course, as I wasn’t fired NOW, the 10 days pay no longer applies, but I’m just glad I don’t have to go near her, no other teacher in my town will teach there, and they’ve lost TONS of face :raspberry:

As soon as I have my pay in my hands, I’ll run home and post the city name and school name in as many places as I can. If anyone knows where I should, please let me know here!

Thanks again to those of you who are helpul instead of hateful!

[quote=“ITALKGOODENGLISH”]
I told my boss that I no longer wanted to work for her becuase of her unresonable temper, [/quote]

Sorry if you took what I said as hateful. It was not meant as so. I was just trying to give you a reality check based on the above quote. The terms “psycho” and “fuck you I quit” are paraphrases on my part. If I was your boss and you told me I had an unreasonable temper, I would show you the door.

That’s it, that’s all.

And that’s all I was trying to say. I did commiserate with you on the unreasonable use of force. I just further suggested that you may have approached the situation better.

So relax y’all.

Toesave is right. You don’t tell any boss that you are quitting because of their temper, even if that is the exact reason you are quitting. Saying that you did that and maintaining an attitude of blamelessness is going to send up newbie/youngster warning flags to older and more cynical types.

And moderator, I want to file a complaint for being called indecent on this forum.

I am curious about this penalty clause. Some people have stated that it is illegal. I would like to know a little more about this as I know many a local teacher that have a similar clause, however to them it is worse, they stand to foreit one month’s salary for early termination of a contract. I was told that this was in line with Taiwan employment laws, but I can’t find anything. Anyone have the correct reference and a link?

This is the OP again, and I will clarify EXACTLY what I said to my boss that Toe Save seems to translate into calling her a psycho:

I was late for work on Friday because my scooter broke down and I had to push it to a shop. I left my house before 1:20 because I have to be at work a half hour (unpaid of course) before my class starts. It normally takes 10 minutes to get to work and my clas started at 2:00. ANYWAY, I called my husband (that’s right I’m a girl) and asked him to phone my boss because I didn’t have her number. It took him awhile to find the number, but he called and told her I would be a few minutes late for class. She arrived at the school at the same time as me (approx. 2:10), and began to admonish me for not leaving my house early enough, assuming that I had merely not been able to start my scooter and it had made me late. I informed her that I had in fact left my house before 1:30 and that I had to push my scooter to a shop. She then (angrily, I might add though spell wrong) said that I should have instructed my husband to call her sooner. I told her that I had called him as soon as I could, and I’m sure he called her as soon as he could.

I should also say that this boss has a reputation as being unreasonable and jumping to conclusions, and I had meet with this attitude from her on many occasions in the 7 months I was at her school, not that I need to explain why I was quitting to anyone, but just so you know it was not an isolated incident that made me wish to terminate my contract. I was supposed to stop working for her as of February 20th, which would have given her a good 2 and a half months to find a new teacher. I was ending my contract early already due to the fact my husband is being transferred to a different city.

So I decided, enough was enough, and I wrote my boss a letter saying:
“If you are going to get angry with me for things that I have no control over, I do not think that I want to work for you until February.”

I could not use the words “unreasonable temper” because although she is an English teacher, she wouldn’t have understood them.

So I do not think that this translates into “you are a pyscho”. I’m sorry. I had been apologizing to this woman for 7 months for things that were HER fault, and I got sick of it. I don’t give good face.
I think I’ll stop writing now, people are probably getting tired of reading my postings and want to see you bicker amongst yourselves for awhile :wink:

p.s. sorry about the spelling mistakes, I tried to catch them all.

OT

It’s alright Gubo, I read your message, Thanks! I think it was deleted along with Toe Saves, where he tells everyone to f off and go get drunk, or soemthing to that effect.

You’re very welcome, and I do wish you all the best.

[quote=“Toe Save”][quote=“ITALKGOODENGLISH”]
I told my boss that I no longer wanted to work for her becuase of her unresonable temper, [/quote]

Sorry if you took what I said as hateful. It was not meant as so. I was just trying to give you a reality check based on the above quote. The terms “psycho” and “fuck you I quit” are paraphrases on my part. If I was your boss and you told me I had an unreasonable temper, I would show you the door.

That’s it, that’s all.

And that’s all I was trying to say. I did commiserate with you on the unreasonable use of force. I just further suggested that you may have approached the situation better.

So relax y’all.[/quote]

Your paraphrasing skills need serious work. Don’t see how you get “phsycho” and “F you” (notice I don’t write the full form of the word on a public forum!) from “unreasonable temper.” That’s quite a “paraphrase” indeed. Actually, it’s a gross misrepresentation of the original writer’s words.

And it would be your perogative to show an employee the door if they told you they were quitting because you had a bad temper. However, you’d have to do it within the law, something this nightmare employer clearly hasn’t done. I suppose you’d also try to extort 20000nt from your employee as well?

And I don’t buy the newbie argument either. I’m getting real sick of the Robinson Crusue mentality some people have. This isn’t a desert island. It’s just another city in the world. Perhaps concealing the true reason for her departure would have saved more face. But I don’t think the employer was thinking much about her employee’s dignity when she tore a strip off her for having a scooter breakdown, either.

Some people talk about newbie red flags. Well, I’ve been here a few years myself. As opposed to newbie red flags, this incident sets off “bad boss” and “time to post the school’s name on a blacklist” alarms. My experience and time spent here has made me much more inclined to side with the teacher (be he new or not) than the buxiban laoban.

ITALKGOODENGLISH, go to www.buxiban.com and post a comment about the school on their blacklists. See if it isn’t already mentioned. Wouldn’t be surprised if you weren’t the first to have trouble with them.

Floundered, not deleted. Off-topic stuff gets floundered. Go to the Flounder Forum and you’ll find it there… :sunglasses:

Yep. That was a real mature and appropriate way to resign.

Q.E.D.

OT

[quote=“ITALKGOODENGLISH”]I was late for work on Friday because my scooter broke down and I had to push it to a shop. … ANYWAY, I called my husband … and asked him to phone my boss because I didn’t have her number. It took him awhile to find the number, but he called and told her I would be a few minutes late for class. … She then … said that I should have instructed my husband to call her sooner. I told her that I had called him as soon as I could, and I’m sure he called her as soon as he could.

I should also say that this boss has a reputation as being unreasonable …[/quote]

I understand that sometimes events happen and we cannot control them. However, we have a responsibility to mitigate the damage that such events can cause when they do occur.

It was entirely reasonable of your employer to expect you to report to work on time and it was reasonable of her to expect that in case you could not report in a timely manner, you would provide her early notice. Not having your employer’s contact info on your person was irresponsible, on your part, as it resulted in your being unable to mitigate the damage that your tardiness caused as you were unable to contact your employer immediately upon your knowing that you would be late.

You can always just click on the profile icon at the bottom left hand corner of any post that you’ve made and then press the link that looks like this:
Find all posts by Gubo
:slight_smile:

The way I resigned does NOT give my boss the right the to treat me however she wants. In case you weren’t reading all of what I wrote, I have to oversimplify my reasons and use “easy to understand” english when speaking to her.

I did not write on this forum to be critized and chastised by a bunch of people who think they know better then me (and probably everyone). You did not work for the school and have no idea of what I went through. Just to give you an example, my boss also got angry with me when I asked for a day off because I had to have an endoscopy done. My boss said it couldn’t be that bad, and insisted I come into to work anyway.
Perhaps when you work for a boss who insists her English is great, when she can’t understand anything past very basic English, you may have to resort to stating things in the plainest terms possible. So sorry my “resignation” was not “mature” enough in your eyes. I’m sure everything you’ve ever done in your whole life was done absolutley perfectly and by the book, right? I’m also sorry that I won’t degrade myself enough to sink to the expected level of lieing to give my insane boss “face”.

I think the majority of the people on this forum are a bunch of jerks with nothing else to do but log on and criticize everyone else around them. I won’t make the mistake of asking for help here again.

Are there only like 20 NICE people in Taiwan? I’m sure most of them take one look at the kind of responses on this forum and decide it isn’t worth the annoyance of being criticized by people that think they are better than everyone else (and oh yes, when you say someone was wrong in doing something when you don’t know the whole story, the person AND haven’t been asked, you OBVIOUSLY think you’re better than them).

Thanks for nothing.

P.S. I didn’t have my bosses number because it was in my cell phone and my cell was not working. I DID call the office (which I knew the number of), but my boss was not in the office, as they do not have regular office hours, and my husband therefore had to call her at home. Don’t call me irresponsibe when you don’t know all the details! Ever heard of asking questions first, then making judgements? Oh, right, I’d forgotten, all the the "-man"s on this forum know everything already, and there couldn’t possibly be any questions for them to ask. (I do not include Moaman in that list, however. M. was quite helpful).

This one doesn’t. Which is why he didn’t respond to your post. :s

Sorry, I didn’t realize there were so many -man’s. Didn’t mean to discriminate :blush:

Also didn’t mean to use my husband’s ID name…