I went to the Taipei Food Expo and I'm a bit traumatised

P_20190622_151621

What is this and people actually eat this?

It’s on offer! Holy shit!!

1 Like

1 Like

That’s sea cucumber I remember seeing it in Qingdao I can’t remember if I tried it though.

Never had :banana: sea cucumber?

Tourist.

1 Like

Try the ones at the Central American exhibit. They are much larger, fresher and tastier.

1 Like

Sea cucumber is really kind of tasteless by itself. It just takes on the flavor of whatever it’s been cooked with.

1 Like

Pretty much all about the mouth feel

1 Like

It’s also rather expensive if the price is just for that little thing. That looks like that thing would tear my insides apart if i looked at it the wrong way.

It is. It’s a delicacy or whatever. It’s probably a pain in the ass to fetch it from the bottom of the sea and all that.

Pretty much totally :nsfw:

1 Like

Actually, it thrives on the coastal rocks, like molluscs, and is grown in farms like oysters.

It is the cutest thing alive. Petted some in Penghu, they probably were my dinner afterwards.

2 Likes

I’m going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that…

2 Likes

The only time in life I almost vomited directly at the table was when sea cucumber was hidden in a dish.

2 Likes

It’s not pleasant, is it. Something like eating boiled snot. Whoever first ate a sea cucumber and thought, “hey, i could make a fortune selling this as a delicacy” must have had a mage-level grasp of human nature.

I feel sorry for them. They sit there, not quite sure if they’re animal or vegetable, minding their own business, then some asshole grabs them and serves them to an unsuspecting tourist for a laugh. It’s not the way a sea cucumber’s life should end, i reckon.

1 Like

A couple of decades ago when I was a bit on my uppers my brother put me up in his place for 6 months. After I’d sorted things out I treated him to one of those all you can eat/drink places in Antigua.

Second night there he ordered sea cucumber and had the worst food poisoning I’ve witnessed. We were sharing a room. It was horrific.