🇮🇸 Iceland

• Reykjavik is tourist-friendly. I had to check out of my Airbnb room at 11am and my flight wasn’t until 8pm from Keflavik. So I needed to find a shuttle, and I needed a locker to park my bag, so I can explore Reykjavik during my remaining time. To my delight, both were not only available, but right next to each other! There were shuttles to the Blue Lagoon for people just stopping over.
  • Reykjavik has too many damn American tourists. Oh wait…that’s me.
  • Reykjavik is very compact. I could get to everything.
  • Like Sweden, Iceland is becoming cashless. One my day of arrival, I went to a computer store to buy an adaptor, something that cost 500 Icelandic krones (about 4 bucks). I said, “You probably prefer cash,” since it was such a small amount and he probably doesn’t want merchant fees. He said “either way,” then just laughed at me, and said nowhere in Iceland do they prefer cash.
  • Expensive food since they import everything? Yup. Although at the National Museum, I learned they once exported fish. I ate TV dinners and some leftover pickles I found in the fridge.
  • Iceland’s Birthrate. I had read somewhere that the birthrate in Iceland is still relatively high. My Airbnb host has five children and five grandchildren. My temporary abode was in a family area. Family-orientedness and a wild nightlife coexist side-by-side.
  • Icelandic Women? I was asked about Scandinavian women in the other thread. First of all, my time in Iceland was cut short. I was supposed to have three nights out. But due to a flight delay, I missed my first night. And because I was stuck in London the night before without much sleep, I was too tired to go out my second night. I liked what I saw on my third night though. Reserved Icelanders get friendly with alcohol. Beautiful women approached me. Doesn’t mean they wanted to sleep with me, but it sure made things easier if I wanted to get to know them. There’s only one problem; among people in the early 20s, many women were overweight but the men weren’t. I had read, about 9 years ago, that Iceland did have quite a few fatties, but nothing compared to the US. Now, I think they’re pushing it. This phenomenon appears to be limited to the young; at the Icelandair check-in though, none of the women overweight, and most were quite attractive.
  • Iceland is North Americanish. Some wear European mom pants, some dressed like Americans (clothes that fit).
  • I’m interested in studying about their economy. Since they are quite small (350K?), and situated in between North American and Europe, they should lower their taxes and drive a lot of business in that direction and become a logistics hub.
1 Like

They have long dark winters. :wink:

2 Likes

That explains it!