iCloud issue

I have the basic(unpaid) storage for iPhone. But, all the storage is already taken up by the photos. I can’t even back up my line/whatsapp or other essential apps. I have the photos already backed up in google photos. What I want to do is delete some photos from iPhone storage and free up the space for other apps. But, when I delete a photo in iPhone it also gets deleted from google photos. So, essentially it gets permanently deleted from all apps. How can I keep the photos in google photos but delete from iPhone/iCloud?

Can’t you just open the Google Photos app on your phone and use the “delete from device” option?

I don’t know about iPhone/iCloud, but I assume then the photos deleted from the device would then be synced with iCloud but stay on Google Photos?

Thank you. I forgot about this one. I tried it just now. But, it had the same result as deleting from the iphone photos app. It was showing that icloud is full. Then I deleted some photos from the icloud web. It still shown on phone that the storage is full. But, when I backup whatsapp it is backing up. So, maybe there is a lag for showing the icloud storage on phone.

I think if you do that the photos should remain on Google Photos and just be deleted from the phone, no?

Again, I don’t use iCloud or Apple products, but I’d assume the device-deleted photos either stay on iCloud (in which case you can remove them manually through iCloud) or get automatically deleted (in which case you don’t need to do anything because that’s what you wanted?). Shouldn’t affect what’s already stored on Google Photos though, I think.

No idea what happens when you delete them directly from iCloud, and if it then automatically deletes them from your phone and/or Google Photos. On my Android phone, device-deleted photos aren’t deleted from Google Photos though.

Yes. You are right. Google photos actually have the exact feature to do what I want to do. Maybe icloud takes some time to sync. So, I can’t see the result yet.

Are you syncing your photos to the cloud using Google Photos or iCloud? You shouldn’t use both, or it may cause conflicts (or at the very least, confusion).

If Google Photos is the main service you use, you should turn off iCloud Photos syncing. To do that, go to Settings on your iPhone, tap your profile pic, then iCloud, then Photos.

Yes, I was doin this until my icloud storage depleted and then I saw the problem.