Ideas for classrom discipline/motivation?

hi all.

i’m looking for your ideas on how to keep classes of children motivated and attentive, and not running all around the room/ getting crazy/etc . i’m talking about correcting general behavior problems.

i’m most interested to know what has worked for you regarding positive encouragement. i really don’t want to be mean or start yelling.

i’m coming back to the classroom after a break but can feel my burnout still lingering. i’d like to avoid a breakdown and keep it a successful experience for all.

so basically, i see i have two issues as i write this: keeping my kids from getting out of control and focused on the lessons, and keeping my attitude and energy up.

any advice is welcome. thanks!

(i know incorporating games in the lessons can work to keep attention, which i do, so if u suggest games to me, which isn’t exactly what i’m asking for here, please then share what games u have good results with :slight_smile: thanks!)

Hey, welcome. You can use the search function for ideas. Or you can go to a shop and buy a book.

Hey, before you thank me, you are welcome!

i’ll clarify my post by stating that i’ve already been searching the topic throughout the site. i’ve found some ideas and discussions that mirror my experiences and concerns i.e., not wanting to give into material rewards as motivation, not wanting to yell, the value of preparation… but i was looking for more info on what specific methods people have found successful.

i just figured that before i go out to buy a book, why not ask what others may care to share. i thought that’s what forums are for.

at any rate, i suppose i’ll be at the book store this week.

PS: i apologize for the testy tone in the above post… long day.

I find having lots of self guided activities, places to do them, and materials that the kids can readily use helpful. I have a rotating job list that the kids can see and understand every day. Jobs include captain (for lining them up and supervising things like water breaks, etc), cleanup (wipe down tables and pick up any trash, empty the pencil sharpener, etc), water plants, fishtank feeding (if you have one), library (arranging the books, sorting out damaged, broken, etc, tidying up), helper (hands out books, worksheets and other supplies),song (leading the singing of whatever song we’re doing), weekly words (can test the other kids with flashcards or something like that), and anything else you can make up.

I also set up little stations within the classroom, including a reading corner (the “library where all the books are”, an art corner (newsprint pad and various instruments of coloring, a place where they can fiddle with things like blocks, and a place where they can fiddle with other learning materials such as those ABC foam letters and a little tray with rice in it that they can trace designs and letters and stuff like that.

So, almost every kid every day has a different job to do, and they can earn points, stickers, tokens and small prizes for doing them. I hate this system and I think they should be happy to just get an “attaboy!” and a sticker from me but somebody usually trains them to expect this. It does work if used sparingly and firmly, and they can visually see the rewards they are earning or losing (for bad behavior) on a poster that I make.

The various “stations” are also rewards for doing whatever assignment they are supposed to be doing properly, quickly, and basically doing their best. When they do the work and I accept the quality, they can go to a “station” and draw, fiddle with clay, read (I try to encourage free reading because it’s a habit too many of my student’s don’t have), or do something else with materials or an area that I have provided. It works well for more motivated students and keeps them out of my hair while I’m trying to help the struggling ones do something they are having trouble with. They have rules for the stations and I don’t put up with arguing, overcrowding, tattle-taling or making an unnecessary mess. Also, I make sure that even the slow kids get a fair shake at the cool stuff by having really easy work once in a while and keeping a mental note on who should do what how often. No favorites; they are all worker ants.

I find as far as “teacher stands in front of whiteboard and says blah blah blah” goes, I can get away with about 5 minutes of that before they are figeting, bugging each other and annoying me. Everything is a game, and everybody gets a fair shot. Keep the amount of items small, easy to handle, and use them backwards, upside down and sideways, incorporating as many of the 5 senses as you can. Get away from that damn whiteboard. Aren’t you sick of it? So are they. Sit in population. Move the tables around. Put the chairs on the opposite sides that they are used to. Turn out the lights and open the blinds. Stop talking. Whisper. Sing. whistle. Become a character. Remember that something that seems really boring and repetitive to you might be one of their favorite things.

Some kids will not behave no matter what. Chalk it down to genetics, diet, parenting, emotions, disorders, whatever. I’m not a trained child psycologist or even a trained teacher. The only way I can deal with these kids is by having the full support of the school and the parents, and even then I’m usually at a loss. It can be frustrating. Having lots and lots of stuff ready and availiable to do is my best method yet.

Only say what you mean, and mean what you say. Suggest things rather than demand, and give praise for even the crappiest work, while suggesting ways they could do it better. They’re kids, after all.

Punishment can be going to talk to the principal, not being allowed special priveledges, “busy work” like writing something over and over, or good old standing in the corner. Don’t make them stand in the corner for longer than 5 minutes and have a little talk before allowing them back into population. Don’t make writing “punishment”, rather make it a “job” where they are helping you. Most kids won’t really misbehave in order to piss you off, but just to get some attention or reaction from you. Stay cool, calm, and mean what you say and say what you mean. Actions have consequences and they must learn this in a gentle way or it’s too fun to watch you freak out.

If you find yourself in a school with a crap manager, lazy chinese teachers, no materials, no books (for recreation), no budget for above and no inclination to listen to you when you make your plan and tell them how you want to run your classroom, then quit. Not worth it. You aren’t going to have much fun and neither are the kids, chasing that damn stickyball around.

Older kids (not yet junior high) I drill with grammar (you wouldn’t know it from the quality of my writing here) reading, constant conversation, short games, practice, listening (I might read something and ask for comments) and quizzes. I often end up taking over some class where somebody played dodge ball for half an hour a class with them and didn’t follow the curriculum beyond some spelling and they never had any homework. This is a hellish situation that only seems to be fixed by laying down the law and telling them how it’s going to be. Lazy brats leave.

I’ve yelled, screamed, thrown notebooks across the room, threatened, freaked, slammed my palm on the tables, stomped off, cajoled, humiliated, joked, cussed, quit, demanded, and probably scarred a few of them for life. I really hope I haven’t hurt them permanently and all I can say is after 3 years I’m finally able to say I’m not a terrible teacher. but I was. And I can be Teacher Asshole in a second…

I hope I get it someday. It’s the only job in my life that’s remained challenging, interesting and rewarding past 3 months. Good luck, hope this helps.

What age group are we talking about? Motivating a group of teens is a bit different from motivating a group of preschoolers. How long are your classes? Do you teach the same group all day or for two hours at a stretch?

canucktyuktuk - that was helpful. thx.

nemesis - yeah, i forgot the important detail of age. these kids are 6-12 yrs old. it is the summer program, with a lot of mixed levels/ages. so, lots of things are loose or in flux - curriculum, attendance, etc. plus there’s the whole adjusting to to the new school on my end. the classes fill the afternoon, in one hour installments for the rest of the month. then it will be more structured

i’ve been teaching for enough years that i ought to know how to go through this , but those years also have me moving a little slower at times. i check in here at forumosa from time to time, searching games, tips, etc, when i realize i need to push myself/gather new ideas.

i found myself at a loss last week. so here i am. hope to start this week better.

I’m starting a new job on Monday. I have taught English here for three years, and always had a Chinese Teacher. I won’t have one at the new school. Since discipline has always been a problem for me, need to focus a LOT more on it now.

The class will start as summer school, so no tests, no textbooks(but they have reading books). More games, more focus on fun. In September, it’ll be more serious. I’ll write the lesson plans during the summer. They will be written for me in fall.

There will be more students than I’ve had-as many as 20 in a classroom. It is elementary students, the same as I’ve been teaching.

I am learning Chinese, but my Chinese is weak. There previous foreign teachers have known Chinese, and it was used in the class a lot. It’ll now be “no Chinese”.

Any suggestions?

I saw a set of general guidelines(directed at students, like “speak appropriately” instead of “no Chinese”) that someone posted a while ago. I just spent half an hour looking for them, with no success. And, five minutes later, I found those rules. LOL

Experience was (and is) the best teacher, in my opinion. A lot of anecdotes could go here, but never mind …

It was my experience, that the jarring intrusions of a co-teacher who was often only interested in the here-and-now (never explained to me, only delivered in Chinese, totally follow-the-rules-based actions) had actually prevented my ability to develop my own disciplinary style.

Well, at least that’s what happened to me. Right or wrong, I chose teaching positions that did not have a Taiwanese co-teacher. I’m glad I did. It took a while, but …

For me, long term discipline was established by the experience of many classes with the same students wherein I showed (not told) the students that I (and we) should/would/could be mutually respected on our own terms. I (and we) simply don’t need a co-teacher.

When I walk into a class for the first or the umpteenth time, I and the class must still work towards developing rules that we all agree on - by consensus - not force.

Then, discipline recedes into the background and things happen that we both like.

some related threads:

If they have a lot of blocks to play with, take the whole box in front of the class.
When a student gives a correct answer he/she can take any block and start building a tower.
If the tower falls for any reason, recollect all the blocks from that student.
At the end of class, the tallest tower wins a price.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]If they have a lot of blocks to play with, take the whole box in front of the class.
When a student gives a correct answer he/she can take any block and start building a tower.
If the tower falls for any reason, recollect all the blocks from that student.
At the end of class, the tallest tower wins a price.[/quote]
Seems that some of the kids would be playing with blocks instead of listening to the teacher. :ponder: