Identity politics and dating

I keep telling Democrats that they have no idea what they are sowing with public comments like Fair’s and public behavior like that of the Democrats regarding Kavanaugh. They seem to think that it’s the only way to secure enough political oxygen in spaces dominated by President Trump, but already they dominate the political media so I have my doubts.

The backlash to this behavior by Democrats is going to be tsunamic and very, very ugly. It’s a very good time for holding your tongue if you’re angry, and for listening to others very carefully. The peoplz skill otherwise known as “putting yourself in the other guy’s shoes” has never had a higher value than now, and that value will only increase.

2 Likes

Old rules finley. We are playing by new rules now.

They still dominate the media, but the media no longer dominates people’s minds. This is what’s really killing them. Why isn’t the brainwashing working anymore?!?

2 Likes

Could she not get sued for libel, here? Describing Kavanaugh as a “serial rapist”?

Twitter is filled with straight up death threats, and they don’t even get a warning (as long as they’re on the left), so…

Edit: Prof. Castration seems to have had her account suspended, so there’s still hope. :grin:

1 Like

In the real World … absolutely .

Celebrities, including politicians, are pretty much fair game in the US.

If anything, I would like to see Georgetown be held to account for their policies since they evidently judge Fair to be in line with them. For an American university to endorse (even passively) “miserable deaths” and posthumous castration of a whole subset of Americans is an abrogation of their responsibility as an institution of higher learning, imho.

1 Like

sadly it appears that this is a typical attitude there…

2 Likes

Its in the good old - or should I say bad old - McCarthyism tradition. Not like that’s a left or a right thing, its a thing alright though.

1 Like

Yup, you are right to note this is not a left/right thing. Everyone used to understand the old rules, freedom of speech, presumption of innocence, equal opportunity for all. They are now the old rules, Liberals have written a new set of rules for themselves, and so have the Conservatives.

1 Like

I sure hope so at this point but how?
I’m hearing that the midterms will be overwhelmingly in the Democrats favor. According to the polls.

And yes, I know what they said about Trump 16’ . But still.

The only thing I am sure of from this mess is how sad the state of American democracy is now. 200+ years of democratic practice and you end up with such a shitshow in 2018. As shitty as Taiwan’s democracy is, at least it’s younger than almost everyone on this site.

America will be just fine, despite what you think about President Trump. This is the polite version of the conversation.

2 Likes

Historically the party of POTUS loses the House to the opposition party in the first mid-term election. I don’t expect Trump to be an exception. The last time I looked the Senate is more problematic for the Democrats. I think the Democrats will take the House majority but remain the minority in the Senate.

I’m not very worried about the House, though. I think there’s a silver lining there. The Democrats are running against Trump, and on not much more. Many of their House candidates are political neophytes who should receive plenty of national attention once Speaker Pelosi gets them slotted into their Committee assignments. I don’t think this will turn out well for Democrats.

I think the result of 2018 could be a retaking of the House in 2020, a retention of the US Senate, and many state governorships and increased control of many state legislatures. I wouldn’t be surprised if Democrats give it all back in 2020 since it will be built on a poor foundation. I think this is the main place where the tsunamic reaction to Democrats will take place.

That would delight me because constitutionally mandated Congressional redistricting will take place in 2021, based on the results of the 2020 census. Having the GOP in a strong position to control redistricting is imo a very, very good thing and should result in Republican control of Congressional districts for 20 consecutive years, 2010-2030.

Maybe the Democrat party will have returned to something resembling sanity by 2030. As things stand, I don’t think Democrats are fit for service in the Sentate, POTUS, or SCOTUS. There is probably a place for them in the House, but that’s about it.

1 Like

My inner English teacher would have gotten your actual meaning, but I’m usually in online banter mode while reading here. Comma splices have, like, literally taken over. :exploding_head:

You know yyy has recused himself from IP. What is the Kavanaugh affair doing in D&R? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

But since we’re all here, I’ll say this: Michael Che has a point.

Presumption of innocence is a right, but getting your dream job isn’t, and justice must be seen to be done. If people lose faith in the highest court of the land, that’s a problem.

2 Likes

I realize you’re not actually saying the USA was founded by anarchists, but it does come across as something close to if not for anarchism, we wouldn’t have our glorious democratic republic! :cactus:

As for Rousseau, this could make an interesting sequel to another historical discussion we had a while back… :slight_smile:

Does anyone dare to page Jotham? :no_mouth:

His rule seems to be repeating ‘We don’t care’ over and over again. Although his demeanor kind of indicates that he cares a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQhX8PbNUWI

Yeah, one could say he’s a bit of a snowflake.

Fun fact, that’s actually the “Leave Britney alone!” guy. He really let himself go.

1 Like