IELTS teacher training - a new option?

I’ve seen people here enquiring about courses which will equip them to teach IELTS preparation classes. Many competent teachers are in a catch-22 situation of not being able to get IELTS work because they don’t have exerience teaching IELTS or a suitable qualification. Sadly there is nothing available to remedy this.

We’ve been in discussion with several adult language schools in Taipei which offer IELTS-preparation classes. All have a shortage of ‘qualified’ IELTS teachers, and as demand for these courses is increasing the need for IELTS teachers can only get more acute.

We are proposing to develop a course which will better equip competent teachers to teach IELTS-preparation courses. The course will be designed and taught by current IELTS examiners and teachers, with the involvement of the leading schools and publishers of relevant material. The British Council has also been contacted and we’re waiting for their response.

It’s not intended to be a CELTA equivelant, or even a teaching qualification. It’s intended to prepare teachers for the issues they will encounter in IELTS-preparation classes so that they can begin their IELTS career.

The course components (so far) include:

getset, who are you exactly? A school owner? IELTS examiner?

I would definitely be interested in doing this, especially if we could do it on a weekend.
My only problem is getting the reference. I work for a kids cram school and I am not sure if my boss would do this for me. I am currently on the books for a few adult schools but not sure if they would be able to recommend me, as I have only done a few classes at each (they probably don’t remember me).

I have wanted to get some proper IELTS knowledge for a while, I have tutored it and have some knowledge of the exam. I think I’m really stuck in a rut at my present job, and want to stretch myself further, and I see IELTS knowledge as a good way into the adult market.

What would you suggest if I could not obtain the references?

Cheers

Funk500, will PM you.

I am very interested in the IELTS course, and have two concerns:

1. Timing. I’m not in Taipei, and therefore couldn’t do a weekday course. Chinese New Year would be good, or something on the weekend.

2. If I finish this course, am I a certified IELTS examiner? That is, would I be accepted by the British Council to actually give the exam?

[quote=“alwayslol”]
2) If I finish this course, am I a certified IELTS examiner? That is, would I be accepted by the British Council to actually give the exam?[/quote]
I wouldn’t think so. There is a standard course, I think of about 2 days, that one has to do in order to become an IELTS examiner. After the training, I believe they will give you 5 or 6 speaking samples that you have to evaluate on your own and then send back to Cambridge. If you score them all with an average variance of no more than a half band of what they say they should be, you then become a “certified” examiner. I think examiners also have to participate in marker standardization exercises every year or so in order to maintain their status as an examiner.

My understanding is that in most countries, BC and other organizations that both administer the IELTS exam and offer prep courses do not allow trained examiners to teach prep courses within a certain amount of time both before and after they have done some work as an examiner. The period of one year is what comes to mind, but I could be wrong. I don’t know if Cambridge, BC or IDP have a blanket policy on this. I’m sure that there are active examiners out there who are also doing test prep work at the same time.

Why not issue a certificate for completion of your course, though? Although it’s not “officially IELTS”, it might hold some water with Taiwanese buxibans. Another piece of paper is never a bad thing. After all, all you really need is a laser printer… :smiley: (Seriously, though…)

Thanks for the PM getset.

As I said in my earlier post I would be very interested in doing this course at the weekend.

I would say any weekend in December (except Christmas) would be a good time, or a course over a few Saturdays. Weekdays I think would be a problem for anybody working in the kids buxiban system (like me) or anybody who lives out of town.

But definitely count me in.

It sounds like an interesting idea. I have two questions:

1. Who would be running the course? You told us about your company, but who would the trainers be? What would make them “qualified” to run this course? How familiar are they with the IELTS exam? Are they exaiminers themselves, or IELTS teachers, or what?

2. What would the cost of the course be?

Thanks, getset! :slight_smile:

[quote=“alwayslol”]I am very interested in the IELTS course, and have two concerns:

1. Timing. I’m not in Taipei, and therefore couldn’t do a weekday course. Chinese New Year would be good, or something on the weekend.

2. If I finish this course, am I a certified IELTS examiner? That is, would I be accepted by the British Council to actually give the exam?[/quote]

[quote=“as I”]It’s not intended to be a CELTA equivelant, or even a teaching qualification. It’s intended to prepare teachers for the issues they will encounter in IELTS-preparation classes so that they can begin their IELTS career…

Completing this course will not lead to an internationally recognised certificate, but it is intended to make you more employable in Taiwan. [/quote]

The IELTS examiner course is a totally different animal, offered (occasionally) by IDP or the British Council. There are much more stringent requirements for becoming an examiner.

Of course we’ll issue a certificate, recognised by most of the IELTS employers in Taipei but not by the rest of the world. (Yet!) I don’t know at the moment whether the British Council can endorse it but we’ve been talking. We’re also discussing with a few universities in the UK to get their support.

[quote=“Indiana”]It sounds like an interesting idea. I have two questions:

1. Who would be running the course? You told us about your company, but who would the trainers be? What would make them “qualified” to run this course? How familiar are they with the IELTS exam? Are they exaiminers themselves, or IELTS teachers, or what?[/quote]

[quote]2) What would the cost of the course be?

Thanks, getset! :slight_smile:[/quote]

I think we can do it for less than NT$3000, ie less than 200/hr with a free book. Your buxiban students pay more than that for your time, so naturally you won’t find this an unreasonable fee.

It really does sound like a good idea. It’s nice to see someone taking an initiative to try and educate teachers who may want to teach IELTS prep. And, that is an extremely reasonable price for the course.

Best of luck to you! :sunglasses:

getset, did you get my PM?

teggs

[quote=“teggs”]getset, did you get my PM?

teggs[/quote]

No I didn’t. :blush: I got several PMs and somehow neglected yours. Sorry.

We have half the number of students we need to make this happen, which is good as we haven’t done anything to market it yet.

Now it’s all about dates. We can’t start until after 11 Dec, and Christmas Day is two Sundays later. How do people feel about a full Sat/Sun course on 17/18 Dec, or else a couple of Sundays in January? Or 5x Friday evenings, 3hrs a time?

Post preferences below or by PM.

Well,

I’d be happy with the December dates… or early January as I’m going home for a few weeks on Jan 24th.

what about anybody else?

Hello all.

OK, we have a website up. Click here.

I’m still waiting on the profiles of the teachers and schools, plus confirmation from one other school, but it’s all looking good.

We’ve set a date of 17/18 December for the first one, but realistically it’s unlikely. A lot of teachers are away for Christmas breaks, which adds to the workload of the ones who stay. More likely is 8 and 15 January.

Feedback on the site, and general comments are welcome.

Click ‘About Us’.
“WHO IS BEHIND THIS SITE?
Who we are.”

And that’s it ! So who are you again?

Great idea by the way. But how do current IELTS examiners, most of whom have CELTA, feel about it? This new certificate removes possibly the only advantage (in terms of job seeking) of having CELTA in Taiwan.

[quote=“moomoojuice”]Click ‘About Us’.
“WHO IS BEHIND THIS SITE?
Who we are.”

And that’s it ! So who are you again?

Great idea by the way. But how do current IELTS examiners, most of whom have CELTA, feel about it? This new certificate removes possibly the only advantage (in terms of job seeking) of having CELTA in Taiwan.[/quote]

I don’t think that this removes the advantage of having the CELTA. There is no comparison between the CELTA and this IELTS course being offered. None whatsoever.

You don’t get what I’m saying. Previously you needed to have a CELTA certificate to become an IELTS examiner. Now anyone who does the short First Certificate course can become an IELTS examiner.

Of course the courses are completely different. That’s my point. People with CELTA probably feel a bit cheesed off that unqualified teachers can now take the easy, cheap route to becoming an examiner, whereas they had to take the difficult and expensive route. Are CELTA qualified IELTS examiners going to get paid more than examiners with the First Certificate? What advantage is there now in terms of job seeking in having CELTA?