Ielts tutoring

does anyone know if there is a formal exam that qualifies you to tutor for ielts. any schools in taipei who are hiring ielts experienced teachers?

thanx

To my knowledge, there is no such course…

You could try to become an IELTS Examiner, which would be the best way to learn about the test; but teaching IELTS may impede your chances of examining…

If you have experience teaching IELTS, there should be quite a few places hiring. You could try ELLC at Chungshiao East Rd Sec 4, 169, 7F. I think they’re the biggest in Taiwan…

Becoming an examiner is the best way to become familiar with the test and will give you a handle on an appropriate teaching method. Being an IELTS teacher in no way prevents you from examining and vice versa.

ELLC does teach IELTS, though it’s one of the ugliest little rabbit-warren bushibans I’ve seen here. There are plenty more places. Some of the big test preparation centres (e.g. for TOEFL, TOEIC, GEPT) have started teaching IELTS and will pay top dollar for an IELTS examiner/teacher.

IDP & British Council in Taipei can tell you when the training sessions are, and they also know which schools are teaching IELTS.

[quote=“Soddom”]Becoming an examiner is the best way to become familiar with the test and will give you a handle on an appropriate teaching method. Being an IELTS teacher in no way prevents you from examining and vice versa.

Some of the big test preparation centres (e.g. for TOEFL, TOEIC, GEPT) have started teaching IELTS and will pay top dollar for an IELTS examiner/teacher.

IDP & British Council in Taipei can tell you when the training sessions are, and they also know which schools are teaching IELTS.[/quote]

I second Soddom’s post, though I don’t know much about ELLC.

I know at least one school that is desperate to find another IELTS teacher. PM me if you are interested, and I’ll hook you up.