If 18% of salary is already withheld, do I still need to submit tax return?

If 18% of my salary is already withheld, do I still need to submit a tax return? What happens if I just decide it’s not worth the hassle. Since they already withheld my money and I don’t owe them anything, is it all cool? Will they automatically send out what they owe me? Or is it mandatory that I go and actually submit?

1 Like

Yes. Of course it’s mandatory. And it’s bloody easy. They practically do it for you.

AND! You’ll most likely be walking away with 13% for an hour’s work!

7 Likes

I plan to file for a few reasons:

1. It’s only 18% for part of the year, and if you stay long enough you get some of that back. So, hence the “return” part, which can be quite substantial

2. My country has a tax agreement with Taiwan, so after I file here I can file there. When I was younger and overseas I didn’t bother with it for a few years, but now I want to keep on top of it to prevent any future problems.

I’ve been here long enough to strongly believe that they want you to physically go there and go through a hassle, so people can feel important and busy and that the procedures have been properly served. It’s like a ritual.

That’s good to hear. This will be my first time, hope they’re gentle :wink:

These people are at least generous enough to use lube.

2 Likes

I thought it dropped from 18 to 8%, so 10% of my salary for 180 days returned. Is that wrong?

Depends how much you make. I report in the 5% bracket.

1 Like

ah, ok. I was sticking with 18% because that’s what the first guy said. I’m sure I pay more than 5% (you have APRC?), but haven’t taken a close look at the deductions since my first pay check a year ago…

Of course. Go into your local tax bureau. They are so helpful, they may even ask about certain deductions allowable in your case that you did not think about.

Do they fine you if you don’t submit on time?

Yes

1 Like

It’s more complicated than that I think. If the company withholds 18% of total salary for 6 months then 5% for 6 months (or 8%, if it’s as you say), which I assume is also based on total salary not just the pro-rated taxable part (?), the refund should be more than 13% (or 10%) for typical teaching salaries after taking into account the exemptions/deductions after staying 183 days.

They’re allowed to but typically don’t I believe. They didn’t fine me for being, er, a few years late, and I think @the_bear has said the same before.

You do have to pay the interest on any overdue tax though.

1 Like

That’s great. Even if they do fine you, the only penalty is increasing the tax you owe them, but if you don’t owe them anything (because x% your salary was withheld and it covers the tax) then there is zero penalty.

2 Likes

Perhaps the fine is if you owe money and tack on late fee/interest.
Filed late once (in June), and there was no fine, but the tax bureau that time owed us money.

Yeah, the fine seems to depend on you owing tax, so if you overpaid there would be nothing to multiply.

That said, I owed tax and wasn’t fined either - just had to pay the overdue amount plus (negligible) interest. And I was pretty late (filed for 2017, 2018, and 2019 in January this year). :whistle:

2 Likes

Nine years late :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

Jesus. Did the fine you?

1 Like

I honestly wonder the same thing. Sure you’re suppose to do it but you’re also suppose to in the USA too and how many people do it???
Plus not like I’m coming back once I leave.

No that’s literally what we’re posting about. They’re not a punitive outfit.

1 Like

That’s good to hear

1 Like