If a foreigner worked without permit before, but now already has a permit, will they be okay?

If a foreigner worked without a permit for a place, and then later on obtain a permit for working, will they be okay if the government hypothetically found out? The laws are quite confusing to understand

I don’t see what is confusing about it. If you didn’t have a work permit, you broke the law. If you do now, you are within the law.

If the government found out, you’d be charged because you broke the law. Did you pay taxes on the illegal work?

Your future compliance does not negate past violations.

7 Likes

People have had problems after the fact when the government found out from tax receipts etc. Most people are clearly never found out though. How do you imagine the government would hypothetically find out?

1 Like

In my head, probably something related to the tax reporting done by the business. I heard that most people get caught by crackdowns/inspections/reports from people

In my head, probably something related to the tax reporting done by the business. I heard that most people get caught by crackdowns/inspections/reports from people

Am I supposed to pay taxes on work, or will my employer do it for me? I am not familiar with anything related to taxes and I thought that your employer will take a cut from your wages to pay for your taxes? Sorry if I seemed confused

If you were working illegally, then I’m sure your employer would have been aware of this and not paid any taxes. Were there deductions for tax on your pay slip?

I am not too sure, I will check. So does that mean businesses in Taiwan are obliged to keep a part of your wages for taxes, or am I misundestanding things?

I wouldn’t worry. Even if you work illegally and your employer deducts taxes the tax office doesn’t mind and doesn’t share information with anyone else.

You’re welcome to declare the income yourself at tax time if you so wish.

Can you elaborate more on what you mean by this? Why would the tax office not mind and what does deducting taxes mean? I have never heard about deducting taxes from wages until a few days ago and I was taken aback

You’ve got to be kidding? Are you from the 18th century?

3 Likes

Thanks man, it’s not that I have never heard of it, it’s just that I wasn’t really aware of this until I really looked into it since my friends have never talked about taxes on their work before, so I was unaware about it with relation to work in Taiwan.

Did they pay you full amount into your bank? Like if they said NT$1,000, did you get NT$1,000 in your account or was it less than what they told you??

I have not gotten it yet, but this brings up another question I have. NTS26,400.00 per month is the minimum wage, but is that with tax deducated or is that the net wages?

It’s gross, but you wouldn’t pay tax on that amount anyway, at least as a single person (because it’s below the exemption and deductions).

1 Like

Did you just start working this month? They should have paid you already for July?

Oh yeah, good point. It’s going to suck if they’ve just arrived and have to pay the non-resident rate on that.

Can you explain what is meant by “below the exemption and deductions”? Wouldn’t part of the wages be cut for taxes?

I think it’s coming in a few day

Not necessarily. I know an American chef he worked for a well known expat run place, no work permit. He got a job at another expat run restaurant with a work permit. Someone didn’t like the other owner so dobbed in the chef for working without a work permit. His ARC and work permit were cancelled and he was banned from Taiwan for several years.

There was a thread here only a week ago where a person student doing a Doctoral degree was refused a work permit because he had been fined 15K for working illegally.

2 Likes