If I Had a Bar

I will never own or run a bar, but if I did…

I would not have a TV set. Or if I did, I would turn it off unless what you were showing was also what you were listening to. A TV just draws your attention. It is very distracting. Every place I go to has TVs all around turned to some crap show or billiards tournament.

I would pay attention to accoustics. Not only the music, but try to cut down on echo and reverberation so people could talk to each other.

Other than that, I don’t know. One idea I had was to play classical music. Not quiet music, but loud Russian stuff.

What would you do?

It is surprising how many bars here can’t make a good drink. I would make sure to have mixed drinks that leave you whimpering in the corner.

What I wouldn’t do is come to your bar. Loud Russian Classical muzak? Yech.

I’d make mine more of a speak-easy. I like The Living Room set-up, but I would have that sliding peephole thingy on the door and a “mysterious” looking doorman/greeter.

Of course, we’d serve nothing but the finest ales and scotches available.

It would also have the most comfortable sofas.

Maybe I’d call it Scotch&Sofas.

The floor plan would have lots of nooks and crannies you could get private in with dedicated sound systems (iPods?) for each. Playlists would be 1000X larger than Tigerman’s.

Would you come?

I’d have my barmaids dress in see-through blouses with nothing underneath, probably install a couple of poles, and every night would be Ladies’ Night.

I hope to own a bar/pub someday (one of several dreams).

I’d have a very good selection of bottled ales and ales on tap (cask and or keg). There would be a small but quality selection of spirits. Not much in the way of eats… just some simple sandwiches and cheese trays would be available.

It would be a very relaxing place… comfortable and homey…

Probably no television… but, I’d insist on a pristine sound system and I’d play lots of cool music (cool by my estimation, of course). That means lots of Grateful Dead, but also lots of other stuff as well.

The decor would be a mix of comfortable and utilitarian antiques / art nouveau / psychedelic. Ideally, there would be a nice big fireplace.

Violence, pretense and condescension would be grounds for removal from the premises.

I’d probably name the place after or in reference to something associated with the Grateful Dead… Dupree’s Diamond Inn… Moon Mountain Mishap…

I’d play whatever music I felt like and I wouldn’t serve alcohol. Ladies night would be clothing optional.

This really seems like an untapped market; almost every bar I can think of serves alcohol. How have people missed this opportunity for so long?

I think bob is looking at a potential gold mine here… :uhhuh:

That’s for sure Hobbes. And you haven’t heard about my “bottomless bob’s breakfast and brunch” idea yet!

This really seems like an untapped market; almost every bar I can think of serves alcohol. How have people missed this opportunity for so long?

I think bob is looking at a potential gold mine here… :uhhuh:[/quote]

I think he’s thinking more along the lines of some of the coffee shops in Amsterdam… :slight_smile:

That is certainly an angle worth pursuing I’ll admit. And massages. Don’t forget the massages.

Assuming that “bottomless bob’s breakfast and brunch” is dovetailing off of Tigerman’s “Muchies Bar” idea, then perhaps you’d have a money-maker.

If, on the other hand, “bottomless bob’s” was actually related to the “clothing optional” feature… then I think your customers might be a lot less happy about the idea. :wink:

Although that trend is fading. In the future, Copenhagen will replace Amsterdam as the place to smoke up. The conservative coalition led by the Christian Democrats that currently governs the Netherlands has floated a proposal to restrict access to the country’s famous cannabis coffee shops to Dutch nationals. Along with the police forces, they want to cut the number of coffee shops in half in the next five years.

Wouldn’t that be grounds for a “coalition of the willing” to invade the Netherlands and depose their leadership?

I think bob is looking at a potential gold mine here… :uhhuh:[/quote]

I think he’s thinking more along the lines of some of the cafes in Amsterdam… :slight_smile:[/quote]

I thought he might be referring to the old school pubs in Asia, what are they called again??? Oh yeah! Opium Dens.

why don’t WE open a bar? i think all of us have our special talents that could go into making a great bar.

I have tended bar wearing a rabbit suit.

And I refused to acknowledge wearing it.

Of course my name tag said…Harvey.

OK ran but only if somebody else puts up all the money and grants me full creative control over all matters that I feel like considering that day.

Oh yeah, it would be just the place.

Serving non-alcoholic Scotch, ale, and lagers.
Waitresses in see through blouses with no bottoms to their uniforms.
Patrons passed out on the sofas from the night before, getting up to get their ‘bottomless’ breakfast from bob.
And over the sound system - loud Russian classical music covered by the Dead!

Sounds like the perfect Forumosa business plan to me. :laughing:

OOC

if we all pool our money together, it could happen. i’d have to say that if drugs were to be allowed on the premises i’d have to be out it. but a bar, especially something novel like a non smoking bar (a lot of babes don’t want go to bars cause of the smoke)i’d be interested in. thing is cash is low now.

[quote=“OutofChaos, describing the Forumosa Bar”]
Serving non-alcoholic Scotch, ale, and lagers.
Waitresses in see through blouses with no bottoms to their uniforms.
Patrons passed out on the sofas from the night before, getting up to get their ‘bottomless’ breakfast from bob.
And over the sound system - loud Russian classical music covered by the Dead![/quote]

Heh :bravo:

This would definitely be a place worth checking out.