If I open a company and hire myself as manager to get an arc, what is my employment status?

For tax purposes, would I be considered self-employed or an employee?

Employee

3 Likes

If you pay yourself a normal paycheck with the appropriate govt paperwork filed, taxes, NHI etc all handled properly, then you are a normal employee.

Thanks! I’ve seen a lot of your replies and you really seem to know what youre talking about. If you dont mind, could I ask you something else? I’m trying to figure out what my tax burden as a US citizen would be…The US govt makes me pay taxes on foreign earned income, but I get a credit for income tax paid on income up to about 100k USD. However, what’s not credited is tax I’d pay to Taiwan in the form of social security contributions, such as the National Pension Program, Labor Insurance Program, Medical benefits and Cash Benefits.

So as an employee, how much would I be paying into these such programs if my salary was NT 2,607,957? If it matters it would be a manufacturing company and my customers would be based primarily in the US.

Do it as a branch office of a US entity so you can repatriate profits. The rest depends how much time you spend in Taiwan.

And get a good accountant, from what you’ve posted thus far there’s far more important questions you should be asking (them). :joy:

Thanks! I would be living there full time. How does that change things?

Re: What I should be asking, feel free to clue me in.

IRS Form 2555 will make your life much simpler.

Depends on what you’re manufacturing - many, many, (many!), options for managing import/export of source materials, finished goods, taxes and duties, transfer of payments, exchange rates etc etc etc.

Yeh sure @Marco can answer that lol.

@Marco ?

I’m not American.

I pay nothing in income taxes outside of Taiwan because my countries don’t have backwards income tax policies.

7 Likes

Do you know of a tax calculator that would break down how much is paid by category?

I have zero clue on US tax policy. If someone else knows, they can say something.

If you own a business you should hire an accountant who will do that for you and advise. I don’t think asking here is a good idea

Also… the amount is now 120,000 and only the income tax paid in Taiwan on income above the exclusion amount is credited to your tax obligations in the US…

Im talking about a calculator for Taiwan taxes, not US.

You mention you have a business. Is your business paying you a dividend (in addition to salary)? Is there an office in Taiwan? Transfer pricing? Payroll tax? Your situation is more complicated than a simple income tax calculation.

Yikes that’s f’ed if true.

All I do to get paid is transfer money from my business bank account to my personal checking account. No office in Taiwan.

That would be part of the big fancy spreadsheet behind your business plan. :sunglasses:

1 Like

For that I really suggest getting an accountant.

Also you mention it is a manufacturing company…? There is no factory in Taiwan?

In simple terms… You only need to pay US income taxes on any salary you earn over $120,000 USD.

And then for the income you earn above $120k, the portion of income tax that you pay to Taiwan is deducted from your US tax obligations.

2 Likes

Im a craftsman. My products will be manufactured in my apartment in Taiwan.