If I quit a job and get an ARC extension, does it restart my 5 year wait to get an APRC?

There was an article passed in the amendments to the Foreign Talent Act this year that would mean there is no need to apply separately for a work permit (still being implemented).

A foreign professional, foreign special professional, or foreign senior professional, their spouse, child under the age of majority, and child over the age of majority who is unable to live independently due to physical or mental disability, having obtained permanent residency, need not apply to the Ministry of Labor or Ministry of Education for a permit to engage in work in the State.

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawSearchContent.aspx?pcode=A0030295&norge=7

If you’re a JFRV holder, then you most likely have a Taiwanese spouse. That’s how you will qualify for a JFRV ARC. Joining Family Resident Visa. You’re married to a Taiwanese citizen, right?

JFRV holders have unrestricted work rights and don’t need a separate work-permit to engage in work in Taiwan. You can work for any company that wishes to hire you without any further paperwork.

JFRV holders are residents and as such have multiple entry into Taiwan.

JFRV holders have an expiration date written on the ARC. It’s either 1 year or 2 years or 3 years. Just ensure that you always renew your JFRV ARC before it expires and you’re good to go. There is no annual residency requirement to keep your JFRV ARC, which means there is no minimum number of days you must reside in Taiwan in order to maintain your JFRV ARC status.

Hope this helps.

Mal

Yeah, anyway.

This doesn’t indicate or include APRC holders who are cram school workers or other type of workers like restaurant workers or laborers.

JFRV holders who engage in ANY type of employment whatsoever are not required to apply for a separate work permit. This benefit is printed directly on the card. It should be so for ALL APRCs as well. But it is isn’t and most likely never will.

Here’s the full text which clearly shows that not all foreigners with an APRC are created or treated fairly or equally.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. but I am sorry I was mistake, I though JFRV mean Job finding - extension ARC.

I graduated in TW, and working in TW company now, but they will send me back to Viet Nam on January. They will cancel my contract in Taiwan and sign new contract in Viet Nam, so I am thinking about apply extension ARC ( because I am worry the job is not going well, I will want to go back Taiwan to find another job). So I wonder if people holds the extension ARC can go out and in Taiwan.

One more question is if I go back Viet Nam and later I want to apply another job in Taiwan, does the job require 47k up? or I can apply for any job as long as it is higher than minimum wage. Because as a graduated Taiwan university, I can apply for any type of salary level now. But I am not sure if I go back Viet Nam, the case will be changed.

Thank you so much.

1 Like

Ok…so, you have a work-permit based visa and the accompanying Alien Resident Card.

I don’t know. Please go to your National Immigration Agency office and verify.

I don’t know. Please go to your National Immigration Agency office and check.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. I’m kinda an APRC guy. Things have changed so much over the past 20 years and I haven’t kept up with all the changes.

Hopefully someone else with recent experience can chime in here and help you.

Best,

Mal

Thank you so much ! Have a nice day :sunny:

2 Likes

Hey. I do know one important thing, though.

The expiration date of your ARC is 100% dependent on your employment status with the employer who sponsored your work-permit.

If your employer cancels your work-permit, then your ARC is no longer valid even if the expiration date hasn’t arrived. Very important to remember this.

Example. If the expiration date of your ARC is March 15, 2022, but your employment ends before that and your employer cancels your work-permit on say November 15, 2021, then your ARC (permission to reside in Taiwan) expires on this date as well.

So, it’s best to go to the NIA and discuss your options with them clearly and make sure you have the necessary extension, if you’re qualified for it, and the ability to leave Taiwan and re-enter and search for a new job.

ok?

2 Likes

Oh, I did not know about it, thank you for an important information. I will go NIA and ask for detail information.

1 Like