If I quit a job and get an ARC extension, does it restart my 5 year wait to get an APRC?

The title says most of it. I’ve been here almost 3 years on my current ARC and an leaving my job soon. Assuming I have to get an ARC extension before finding a new job, then does the issue date of the next ARC begin the 5-year period over? Or will it still just be 2 years more?
I will be keeping an ARC continuously for 5 years, but I remember something about the purpose of the ARC changing affecting the time period.
I read the law:

But I don’t see anything that indicates not having a work permit but continuing to hold an ARC would not count as continuous residence.

I don’t have an answer to this but am in the same situation.
I don’t think not having a job resets it per se, but I’ve heard that you need to show contracts for your whole time here.
I would imagine that a short break should be fine, but a year (as in my case) maybe not. I’m hoping they will just add on another year, rather than ‘resetting the clock’. I think the important thing is not to cancel your ARC.

I didn’t see that in the law, but I haven’t kept contracts for those years. Work permits maybe.

It sounds like you were not holding an ARC for a year, in which case it the count does start over.

It’s fine, so long at you don’t change your Arc number then it doesn’t matter if you have used the extension or switched from work to marriage as a reason for residence. Maintain the same Arc number and you’ll be ok. I’ve been through two visa extensions and a switch from work to marriage and am now an Aprc holder.

1 Like

All within a 5 year period? If so, that, solves it.

6, and I qualified fine. Just make sure you most recent year you earn 2x minimum wage, (so if you apply in 2021, 2020 needs to be twice the minimum) and you have an active purpose of residence when you apply. (Work or marriage only I believe)

As others already said, the 6 months seeking work arc extension counts for the 5 year rule. Just don’t apply for the aprc under this visa. Otherwise you are limited to the requirement that you must be in the country for 183 'days otherwise you lose the aprc. If you apply while working you can leave for up to 5 years without issue.

If your income is low, if you show $5M NT in an account it bypasses the salary requirements

1 Like

Thanks ShaoLeFen

I would think that showing that you worked there would be enough. From what I’ve heard (very anecdotal) it’s considered on a case-by-case basis, so explaining that should be fine.

I have had an ARC for the year that I haven’t worked. I couldn’t get work a year ago (I work in a very specific niche with only a few jobs in the country) so waited a year, and wrote a book and up-skilled. I’ve used my two six-month extensions, and found work just in time to keep my ARC, so it should technically be unbroken. I’ll understand if they demand another year (so I’ve contributed to Taiwan’s economy the whole time) but I just hope they don’t make me start over again from next year.

Sorry, what does that mean? I get that I should apply when I have another job, but if I don’t leave the country I don’t see what the 183 days comment is about.

I see, you are in a similar boat then. From what the above posters said it sounds like you’ll be ok too. Keep us posted because if you get one with 2 extensions I won’t be worried about myself at all.
I suppose changing industries doesn’t change things does it? Like if I started working as a copywriter, where the work permits are issued by the department of labor, and changed to a teaching job, where the work permits are issued by the department of education.

Have they changed the law? I thought it was seven years on a work permit, five for marriage.

That’s really old. It used to be 7 years on a working permit and 5 years on a JFRV, but they changed that and now it’s 5 years for either or a combination of both.

Here’s something that only old timers might remember. In the past, JFRV holders were only allowed to reside in Taiwan, but not work. If the JFRV holder wanted to work, they had to secure their own work permit in order to do it legally. Then, in about 2001 or 2002, they changed it so that the ARC for JFRV holders have unrestricted work rights if they applied for an open work permit. Then, the final change is that the ARC has printed right on it that the holder has unrestricted work rights. I sure wish they would do this for the APRC as well, but they won’t.

So immigration allows you to apply for the APRC even if you are holding the 6 month looking for work visa extension . As long as you were on that same ARC for 5 years unbroken. Same as if you applied for it while you are working. While the APRC looks the same there is one major difference

If the APRC was applied while under visa extension, you must be in Taiwan 183 days of the year minimum going forward or else your APRC can be revoked. If you applied for the APRC while working, if you had to leave Taiwan for a few years, they give you up to 5 years to leave Taiwan and keep your APRC before losing it.
The same 183 day rule per year residency requirement also applies for JFRV holders going to APRC.

1 Like

Dan2006 although it won’t affect me because I’ll be working when I come to apply, this is very, VERY useful to know – thank you!

1 Like

Hi ShaoLeFen

As far as I am aware changing industries won’t affect it, but I would check about the 183 day rule just in case it applies to one industry not the other, although from what Dan said it sounds like it doesn’t. But I would check that before applying just in case the rules change.

And yes I’ll let you know how I get on in a few months. I think I’ll be fine as long as I’m working at the time. Hope we can both get our APRCs!

Changing industries is OK afaik as long as it is considered professional by the nia . A quick call with nia will confirm that and you’re right rules keep changing. I see some of my advice on this site from years ago every so often and shake my head with how wrong it is now due to constant changes :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see the same thing. Stuff I wrote that was gospel at the time is now no longer applicable. I’m old!

1 Like

That is a weird rule. And I thought it was 2 years that you could apply to leave for health or study. Have they made it 5?

Yes you need to return before 5 years is up IF… your APRC was applied for under the professional category of which teachers are classified.
Check with NIA to be absolutely sure though

1 Like

Hi Malcolm, I am wonder if JFRV holder can multiple entry to Taiwan, or does it require you stay in Taiwan?
I am working for Taiwan company, but they will send me back to my country to open the representative office on Jan. so they will end my contract in Taiwan and sign new contract in Vietnam. I wonder if I can apply for the JFRV ?