If living in Taiwan is so great…

That’s like the Western motto in dealing with the pandemic from day one: pretend it isn’t there.

1 Like

Vaccines are useless after a few months. Singapore is 80% full vaccination and there’s nothing normal about it now.

3 Likes

Most foreigners come on project based terms, once that’s done they move on.

2 Likes

I think there are few ‘expats’ expats here. Most are foreigners like us on here who came themselves , studied, taught English, joined family (Taiwanese relatives or spouses ), figured out things here over time. Recently it’s largely students .

4 Likes

The number of French people here in Taiwan actually increased.

1 Like

The Expat thing is kind of dying out anyway. Even in China, companies are replacing expats with well-trained local.

Recent example was Canadian coffee chain Tim Hortons successful China entry. Straight away went with a local CEO and local menu and food items.

1 Like

There are a shit load of real expats in Singapore still. And those expats aren’t just Westerners.
I don’t think expats are done yet in Asia.

Yeah I suppose in banking, and Singapore has a lot of regional hubs.

Bet even in Singapore there is less ex Pat packages than before

Now is the age of the Chad local foreigner

Chad local foreigner ?

Anyway Singapore does have heavy banking, but also all kinds of service businesses and they need professional international managers in all functions.

Local foreigner= foreigners who speak the language, understand the local language and are willing to get their hands dirty.

1 Like

Well I think multinationals in Singapore are looking for professional well educated people who are competent in English in most cases and very willing to pay top dollar for them. Local language needs isn’t something I have seen much for working in Singapore . Usually they are managing regional business, multiple countries.

1 Like

Yeah Singapore is a bit of an outlier and also doesn’t have a big domestic population. Without looking at numbers, still imagine more jobs going to locals than before

1 Like

Lots of them right now, mostly for wind power projects. And people working in IT.

…ehem.

7 Likes

There are benefits of living in Taiwan, but it’s not perfect. Just have to decide if the pros outweighs the cons for your self.
Some things I would like to see improved are banking, food sanitation, and wages.
But even if none of those things change, I’m still willing to stay here as long as we aren’t going to war.

4 Likes

many people i know left because of education costs. if you dont want to send your kids to local schools, and can’t afford international schools, you are better off in another place.
Others left as they see TW as not competitive enough and low-paying compared to other countries.
Others left since they only came here for 3 years to begin with.

7 Likes

I don’t see Taiwan so attractive for my kids. Lack of maternity pay, no good public kindergarten, not being pedestrian friendly, long hours at job without real benefits (sick leave, paid holidays, reliable public pension).

Pressure from my parents in law and society for being a man.

Once kids are older we might give a try, if I can get good pay check at western company. Should be nice experience for kids.

Wife has become more westernized, so should be different game now.

Overall I love life in Europe. Warm south Europe is in my reach. Rynair keep expanding their flight destinations, and we can purchase a house for 150k euros in sea countryside of Greece, Portugal, Croatia. A beautiful house with garden.

150k doesn’t get you much in Taiwan. This is like 5 millions of twd.

12 Likes

It will get you a prime 40 year old walk-up apartment in wonderful scenic towns here in the countryside.:wink:

4 Likes

That’s nice, I’m glad to hear that. out of curiosity, do you mind to share a few things you like that you couldn’t enjoy in where you come from?

I agree with that, I was so surprised when a few friends of mine living in the Europe were able to travel and go to nightclubs without wearing face masks.