If living in Taiwan is so great…

If it’s Canada, good luck trying to find a job. Pre Covid jobs were already extremely difficult to find in Canada. So tons of skilled worker immigrants end up working service jobs because they couldn’t find a job despite how well qualified they are.

It’s funny. The countries you are thinking about buying a beach house in are also Europe and I doubt people in those countries would be singing so much praise about their side of Europe.

1 Like

Walkability. While yes, European friends might find some roads not up to par, Taiwan is miles ahead of where I’m from, Canada. Everything is so easy to get to by foot. I’d say 70% of the entire country is available to me using only my own two feet. I like that I don’t always have to be DD cause driving is mandatory in Canada. I can get drunk in Taiwan and know I have a variety of affordable options for a safe way home.

I like tropical destinations. Fuck snow.

I like working with tech companies. I’d probably make more in Canada but I’m happier doing what I do here and I don’t have to deal with hours of soul sucking traffic going to Toronto and being unable to afford living in the very…very…very few walkable neighbourhoods. I can live near or in the big city with my job here and do it comfortably. I can even afford the mortgage payments!

Taiwan is close to other Asian countries. I can travel to Manila for $3000 round on some days. What do we have near Canada? The lying neighbour of Greenland? Ha! Not even close to green. Canada’s twin, the US? They got lots of stuff yea, but come on, where’s the adventure? Desolate St Pierre and Miquelon?

Can’t go wrong with Taiwan’s beautiful nature as well!

Just some of what I like.

People don’t always leave because Taiwan is bad. Many leave with tears in their eyes too. Perhaps family is sick or they have other obligations back in their own countries.

Some like Taiwan, but are originally temporary. They’re trick and treating the entire Asian neighbourhood. Teach here, teach in Thailand, teach in Korea etc…

Some may be businessmen chasing the money. I like it here but I would like it in many places too. I’d love to experience other places too, but Taiwan is always special.

10 Likes

I second that, I was expecting more food vendors to adapt to mobile payment, surprisingly most of them still don’t support it and would rather take cash while making the food at the same time.

And about wages, it really sucks. I have a few Taiwanese friends that soft-forcedly became 躺平族…

I like cash. I don’t really get the point of mobile payment except it’s another app that drains the battery and is traceable.

To be honest, if your friends are going to adopt an attitude like that instead of being competitive and giving themselves and the people around them a reason to believe that they will do a good job, why should one give higher wages or even hire them at all?

People bitch a lot about supposedly low wages but do little to stand out.

2 Likes

Google Pay, Samsung Pay and Apple Apple are already built-in in most modern phones, there’s no need to download any additional apps for these services. And if you want to stay fully incognito you probably would want to throw away your phone.

Wow.

You must not know many young people from other countries if you believe those only exist in Taiwan.

1 Like

Nobody said anything about fully incognito, but it just seems like a lot of steps for a worse experience.

Yeah wow. It’s an issue worldwide, but the ones who are competitive as well, know their worth and fight for it will win.

Lying flat is lying lazy. I would never hire such a person. I wanna be rich and I will bloody be rich.

I think Economics should be mandatory in high school. It might make people realise that their liberal arts degree has low demand, or if they take a path everyone else takes, then supply will be higher and thus lower the cost of renting them due to increased competition.

This is happening all over Asia.

Basically people work hard, 16 hours a day of school for 15+ years only to find out they get a measly 25,000nt a month wage working 60 hours a week?? And if they want more, they must work 80 hours a week (for a very marginal increase in wage). And with cost rising all the time while wage barely creeps up. Then girls all have extremely high demand, their father demands a house, etc. and there is no possible way anyone can afford this without family help.

I don’t blame them. People are finding out that there is NO reward for hard work (when they have been told otherwise), and are refusing to play the game.

Me personally, I can’t do it. Not without methamphetamine.

3 Likes

More Oliver Twist posts :smoker:

1 Like

You literally just tap your unlocked phone against a reader…

1 Like

So i have to pull out a phone, unlock it and awkwardly tap it… it’s the money that requires a battery. Lmao. The $30000 wallet that requires the merchant to support your brand or you’re SOL.

I’ll stick with cash.

Well you need to bring out your wallet, search for the notes or coins. Then wait for change and put it all back in.

Or pull out your phone, put your finger on the fingerprint reader and tap it…

I just have my payment card in my ring, so all I need to do is tap my hand on the reader.

Except there’s no searching for bank notes. I carry thousands on me.

So you pay with a 1000 note for every transaction, then tell them all “keep the change”?

Computer tells them how much change. Easy. I’m in and out faster than these epayment guys.

I watch these people doin epayment. Such a slog. wastes my time.

2 Likes

Then you will now have change and small notes to search through for your next transaction…

I’m not colourblind. I can see which is which

You think I pay in US dollars?

So again, how is opening up a wallet, finding notes, handing them over waiting to be counted, getting change and putting it back in wallet simpler than simply tapping a device on a reader.

Heck it doesn’t even need to be a phone, why not a contactless credit card. No unlock at all then, just tap.

They are different countries, and they have rights to come and move here, to Germany.

I search for cheaper house in warmer geological climate in their country, they search for a good job in industrial Germany. They are free to move here and I welcome them. Germany always need good workers.

We like each other.I hope so. How much South East Asians like Taiwanese and vice versa?

Taiwan is a small island and does not offer such variety as EU. I would get bored in few years. But is good place to check it out. Very good