If living in Taiwan is so great…

This one I agree with.

I can do it faster.

wallet opens in one hand. Bills multicoloured and easier to see. Pluck out and hand. Take change and stuff into change pocket. Done. Faster than watching the machine struggle with reading those stupid bar codes on the screen and watching people get the phone positioned just right.

And still. Needs no batteries.

How does someone who is not a EU citizen just go move to Germany?

But for other EU citizens like Greeks, there are other barriers, language for one. You gotta speak German, English isn’t enough. Then there are other barriers like housing, it’s REALLY hard to find housing in Germany, almost like looking for a job in fact. If finding a house to rent is that hard, I can imagine finding a job is harder.

2 Likes

Yep. Is not always easy. We have superiority compex, and I admit we are not the most plesant nation.

Deutsch is a important. Better you speak it, more we like you. Worse you speak it, more we hate you.

Get skills, learn German, apply for working holiday visa and go from door to door. Look at small cities (10 000 to 30 000 population) People here are paranoid of everything. Sending applications will not help, cause you have foreign name.

Good luck. From my side you are welcome.

1 Like

And besides how would you get work? You realize you need a license for almost any job, even working at Netto and Kaufland? Maybe voluntary work but you don’t really get paid for that…

Actually I find older people much easier to interact with in Germany than young people. Young people are freaking paranoid of everyone. I mean anyone younger than 30. Old folks in Germany are more curious than anything else.

Oh and dipping cookies in tea is unacceptable in Germany… not sure why. Americans do it all the time.

2 Likes

So do you want to try out Sweden or do you want to look for more excuses?

Taiwan is industrial super house. Why not try at home first?

1 Like

Apparently “foreigners” don’t include other Asians? Looking at the original data, it seems there are hundreds of thousands of South East Asians in Taiwan. Maybe their numbers have dropped as well, but I can’t imagine life being better in their countries than Taiwan.

1 Like

I only heard they come because they make more money. But I really don’t know under what arrangement. On the surface they make more than Taiwanese but who knows what happens under the surface.

1 Like

That doesn’t mean much in Europe, in fact in the UK it’s usually a reason not to do something. :rofl:

Wow pathetically small, but that’s great, the less the better for me. :grinning:

2 Likes

True , although they are not usually referred to.as “Waigwo Ren”.

British do it a lot too.

1 Like

I expect in a few years things will drastically change. Once the old generation retire and the new generation take over, you will see a significant change. Some night market vendors are already taking things like easy card, jako pay and so forth. Just look at how many places take Uber and panda now. Also I expect the landscape to change. The next generation doesn’t care about tradition as much or sentimental value. They will probably be more willing to sell old houses to allow new development.

1 Like

So you don’t see people in front of you wait till the cashier ring up the amount before pulling out their wallet/purse then digging out change so they can get a 50 or 10 back, then put back what they got before picking up their stuff and letting the next person go?

1 Like

Ah, we’re talking about different things.

Line pay and the store pay methods use that, usually a qr or barcode scan.

But apple pay, Google etc is just an NFC tap, exactly the same as a contactless credit card.

Sure you need battery, but I mean, that’s not really a difficult requirement!

1 Like

NFC transactions are generally faster than cash. Not even close.

Taiwan isn’t heaven, but neither is anywhere else. Seeing some kind of trend in the number of foreigners leaving seems strange though. Who can even get into the country now?

I do think that in the wake of covid some people are starting to reevaluate their lives. I’ve seen this in several friends and I’ve seen it in myself. After almost two years of wearing masks (depending on where you’ve been living, of course) you start to wonder about what’s important and what’s going to make you happy in the long term. For some people I’m sure this thought process leads to leaving Taiwan.

6 Likes

I asked a small coffee shop why didn’t have NFC machine and told me that there were restrictions from government who could have them.

Cash equals no taxes. Digital payments and vouchers can’t be hidden.

2 Likes

That was one of our main reasons, although way back then it was not certain that our kids could have gone to a local school anyway.

Then how is that better than an Easycard?