If my ARC is cancelled, can I leave and come back?

Hello,
This is my first post and I have researched and read as much as I can find about visas and arcs. I just want to make sure of one thing…if I quit my job and my ARC is cancelled, am I still allowed to leave the country and come back in on a landing visa?
I don’t plan to seek employment again (at least not in the near future). All I want to do is go travel for a few weeks, come back to Taiwan and get my belongings, and settle things with my landlord. I will then leave Taiwan indefinitely. Should that pose any problems for me?
I am sorry if this has been answered before, but I can’t find a definitive answer for my situation on the boards. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers,

mrbenson

You should have no problems getting back in.

[quote=“mrbenson”]Hello,
This is my first post and I have researched and read as much as I can find about visas and arcs. I just want to make sure of one thing…if I quit my job and my ARC is cancelled, am I still allowed to leave the country and come back in on a landing visa?
I don’t plan to seek employment again (at least not in the near future). All I want to do is go travel for a few weeks, come back to Taiwan and get my belongings, and settle things with my landlord. I will then leave Taiwan indefinitely. Should that pose any problems for me?
I am sorry if this has been answered before, but I can’t find a definitive answer for my situation on the boards. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Cheers,

mrbenson[/quote]

Welcome to Forumosa MrBenson. You have nothing to worry about. You can come back into Taiwan on a 30-day visa-exempt entry (you don’t need to apply for anything - you just get a stamp in your passport when you go through immigration). You’ll need an onward ticket (i.e. one out of the country) with an actual reservation rather than just an open ticket.

John

Hello all,
Thank you for your replies. I am worried only because my school doesn’t want me to quit. I cannot wait until the end of July (which is what they want) for a variety of personal reasons. They don’t really seem to care about what I want or need. I am willing to pay them their fine for breaking my contract. I feel bad that I am leaving them in a bad situation with my classes uncovered, but I just can’t stay any longer.
I know that they may prevent me from receiving a work permit again if they wish (black list), but they can’t interfere with my rights to enter Taiwan, right? I haven’t done anything wrong with the exception of breaking my commitment to them.
Thanks again. I just feel a bit scared about this and don’t have anyone else to ask for advice.

cheers,
mrbenson

For your peace of mind, I would check with immigration. I realize that those who have replied to your question mean well and are probably correct, but there may be things that you should do before you leave, especially if you may want to return at a later time and work again. For example, you paid taxes here. It may be a good idea to get proof that you have paid all your taxes and that you don’t owe anything. Also, be sure to keep your ARC when you leave. If you return and work again, you will receive another one. The former ARC may be needed to retrieve your tax records to show you don’t owe anything if you begin working here again.

I would be interested in knowing how long someone has to leave Taiwan if their ARC is cancelled.

Be sure you cancel your ARC yourself at the immigration office. You will need a termination of emplyment letter from your employer to do this. But be sure you have a Taiwanese friend read over this first to make sure your employer is not trying to stiff you. When they cancel your ARC they will give you a final leaving date which they will also stamp in your passport. Just leave before this date and come straight back on a landing visa, 30 days or 90 for Brits… Did this in March 2007 and was no problem.

Seriously, do the leg work yourself, don’t trust your school to do it for you…