If you are not American and you didn't vote in your election

you give up your right to discuss politics with Americans until the next election. This is a public service announcement, thanks.
I have noticed that there is an upcoming election in a country with many expats in Taiwan. Many people from this country like to discuss politics with me. I am alarmed at how many of them (okay, ALL of them) did not obtain an absentee ballot for their upcoming election, and often get very upset that I even asked.
Therefore, I would like to make the following point: if you are not voting in your own country’s election, you give up the right to discuss politics with me, since apparently politics do not matter to you that much.
thanks,
T.

Well, perhaps spch think the American president has a far greater influence on their lives then the chap in Ottawa

The thing is, thanks to the electoral college voting is meaningless for many people. I come from a state that always goes to the Democrats by a large margin; my vote means nothing. That doesn’t mean I won’t vote, but I can see why many people don’t bother. The electoral college is an antiquated system that may have been relevant 150 years ago but today causes far more harm than good.

[quote=“trebuchet”]you give up your right to discuss politics with Americans until the next election. This is a public service announcement, thanks.
I have noticed that there is an upcoming election in a country with many expats in Taiwan. Many people from this country like to discuss politics with me. I am alarmed at how many of them (okay, ALL of them) did not obtain an absentee ballot for their upcoming election, and often get very upset that I even asked.
Therefore, I would like to make the following point: if you are not voting in your own country’s election, you give up the right to discuss politics with me, since apparently politics do not matter to you that much.
thanks,
T.[/quote]

This site
gives good insight into the issue you are talking about.

[quote=“Modest Mouse”][quote=“trebuchet”]you give up your right to discuss politics with Americans until the next election. This is a public service announcement, thanks.
thanks,
T.[/quote]

This site
gives good insight into the issue you are talking about.[/quote]

Rick-rolling is an internet meme that has passed its expiration date. Next you’ll be introducing me to the Star Wars kid video.

What about domestic issues? local laws? county representatives?
Even if I were throwing my presidential vote on some third-party candidate (which I am not) I would still vote for the opportunity to vote on the rest of the ballot.

[quote=“trebuchet”][quote=“Modest Mouse”][quote=“trebuchet”]you give up your right to discuss politics with Americans until the next election. This is a public service announcement, thanks.
thanks,
T.[/quote]

This site
gives good insight into the issue you are talking about.[/quote]

Rick-rolling is an internet meme that has passed its expiration date. Next you’ll be introducing me to the Star Wars kid video.[/quote]

Actually it is Barack-rolling in this instance, and obviously the meme is still going strong.

Why should I give up my right? The politicians in my country aren’t worth voting for – Gordon fucking heid-the-baw Broon, our unelected Supreme Dear Leader or that other bloke – the Tory twat. Hamilton, is it, these days?
I’ll not vote for those doughheads and I’ll continue to discuss American politics. (I didn’t even know they had elections in Canada, by the way – I thought the Duke of Edinburgh was you guys’ king or something.) Oh well. Of no consequence, in any case.

Completed my absentee ballot yesterday. Mailing it today. In California, permanent absentee status is easy and very convenient.

I still prefer not to talk politics. Politics, like religion, is too emotional and arguing is an exercise in futility.

Well put, although I do stand to learn through discussion. And there’s always the chance others may learn, too.

I am voting by absentee ballot in the fast approaching election for the country referred to, and yes, the Duke is our king. We’re thinking of being annexed by Vanuatu. Pity his comments are at times a bit too colourful to merit demigod status in the Great White North. :ohreally:

Er, I applied for an absentee ballot in the country of origin, and according to the regulations I have been away for too long to qualify.

Does this mean I’m not allowed to have an opinion about what goes on in the world these days? I’m not allowed to have an opinion in Taiwan due to being a foreigner, and not allowed to have an opinion at home on account of not living there. Now I can’t have an opinion about anything else because I’m not allowed to have an opinion about the places I’m immediately connected with? Brilliant. I wish I could tell you what I think of that, but presumably my views on such things would be construed as politics and therefore I’m not allowed to have them.

If I may quote from my old friend Neil: Fascist!

If you are not a fan of the conservatives, these are worth reading:
(talks about vote splitting and strategic voting)

voteforenvironment.ca/
cbc.ca/canadavotes/story/200 … ckson.html
cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/story/2008 /10/07/scientists-environment.html
cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/story/2008 /09/24/environment-voting.html

Mailed my ballot off today.

Check out the George Carlin videos on Youtube for what he thought about voting.

Anyway, why am I not allowed to have an opinion about politics? Just because I don’t vote doesn’t mean that I don’t feel strongly about it. What I feel though is that I don’t like democracy because it’s like two morons and a genius voting, or two wolves and a sheep deciding what’s for dinner. Screw that. If people aren’t allowed to have some anarchist or libertarian style free-for-all where they make good or bad decisions at a personal level, that is, if they can’t be trusted to make minor personal decisions with regards to what they do to their bodies or how they spend their money, then how does it make any sense to give them a say in decisions that affect millions of people and billions of dollars? Just because a whole bunch of idiotic people make the same idiotic choice doesn’t make it a good choice all of a sudden simply because there are a lot of people doing it.

[quote=“trebuchet”]you give up your right to discuss politics with Americans until the next election. This is a public service announcement, thanks.
thanks,
T.[/quote]
What a load of fullsome noxious tripe!
Just because one did not vote in one’s own country’s election, one voids one’s right to discuss politics at all?
Twaddle!
Deciding not to register is just as much a political act as voting for some local squib whose victory entails some loathsome fiend becoming PM.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“trebuchet”]you give up your right to discuss politics with Americans until the next election. This is a public service announcement, thanks.
thanks,
T.[/quote]
What a load of fullsome noxious tripe!
Just because one did not vote in one’s own country’s election, one voids one’s right to discuss politics at all?
Twaddle!
Deciding not to register is just as much a political act as voting for some local squib whose victory entails some loathsome fiend becoming PM.[/quote]

Especially since voting is compulsory in my country (though not for ex-pats, I believe). By not voting, and by not even being on the electoral role, I was making a very strong political statement. Everyone said I should just go to the polls and do a donkey vote, but I figure why even encourage the bastards by turning up! Will it change anything? No, but at least I won’t be part of the problem. If only more people would mind their own business, the world would actually be a better place. I should start a world-wide campaign: Mind Your Own Bloody Business! Don’t Vote! Abolish Voting!

There’s some truth there.

You’re too late. It’s already been done. Don’t vote. :sunglasses:

You’re too late. It’s already been done. Don’t vote. :sunglasses:[/quote]

Yeah, sure. The standard argument about how everyone should be interfering in everyone else’s lives… What a bunch of busy-bodies. God I hate these do-gooder celebrities.