If you get really old someday, where would you retire?

A willy wonka twist on a classic 美式 breakfast dish

People love it!

Probably back home to Australia, buy a property in one of the warmer cities or by the beach.

I suppose if it’s more like a pancake than an omelet.

No, It’s still folded over with liquid feta cheese dripping out from inside and everything.

Thanks for setting off my gag reflex. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

You mean British Columbia. Unless the Brits have invaded Colombia.

2 Likes

Frankly, British Colombia sounds like more fun.

2 Likes

Your dad is lucky
I believe I am condemned to work until I drop

Hey, it’s Arby’s!

1 Like

Again?

Get out of Cartagena!!!

1 Like

I’ve been retired since 2016, but I’m going to unretire later this year. The US economy is going gangbusters right now. We may not see another economy like this until mid-century (especially if Democrats get their hands on things). It’s affecting my sleep, the thought of missing this particular party.

If you have an American passport, and if you don’t have strong ties to Taiwan (working spouse or kids or other family that depends on your presence here), then I’d strongly advise moving back to the US (even temporarily) just to put aside some coin for a rainy day. Or if you have debts you want to pay off soon, now is the time. It’s raining coin in the US, and a trade war with China is probably going to mean thunderstorm.

2 Likes

What exactly are you going to do in the us you can’t do from tw? What in the us, which requires you to be there, is significantly better compensated than in say 2015 ?

Quick google, but tell me if I’m wrong, is showing a few % per year. Why all these enthusiasm now, and not instead say last year, for a meagre 3% increase yoy

Going to follow up on an idea I’ve come up with here in Taiwan, for residential development in parts of the US.

So you’re shorting the US these days?

So no I don’t short USA(whatever that means exactly) , USA will continue to perform super well in general although some parts will perform less well,

But, either way. You are telling everyone to move back to the USA, to do what ? You are going in to real estate if I understand you correctly, but, not everyone can afford to go in to real estate.

Why now and not last year?

Actually last year would have probably been better, but better late than never.

Wages are up - very likely to rise further, especially if a prolonged trade war opens up with China - and unemployment is way down. If you have skills that are favored by the market - and again that bucket of skills is likely to grow much larger in the event of a prolonged trade war with China - then it’s likely a bidding war will open up, and stay up indefinitely, to your benefit.

Bottom line is the pie is getting bigger right now, and in the event of a prolonged trade war that growth should accelerate. If you have a US passport, and marketable skills (or can develop them through, say learning carpentry or plumbing or electrician work or any building trade work, thanks to an uncle say) now is the time to take advantage. Last year may have been optimal, but things are trending up again, and strongly.

1 Like

So, i don’t disagree really with anything of that except I think you are giving the advice on the wrong forum.

The vast majority( not all) seem to work in professions that would land them worse of than staying here when factoring in living cost of etc.

How much is a buxiban teacher saving in the Bay Area after rent etc ?

A 3% yoy wage increase won’t really make a difference when rents are going up 10%

If a reader has a US passport then I’m going to assume they already know whether they have marketable skills in the US, or whether they can develop them quickly.

But even if your only skill is teaching (not limited to teaching English), you might stand to benefit in the event of a prolonged trade war. For example, if manufacturing were (somehow) to start flooding back to the US, then there’s a good chance those firms will hire Americans to teach other Americans the xyz skills necessary for mfg in that plant. That means HR departments begin expanding, and if you end up liking the work you can pay off student loans in a BIG hurry with the right HR position.

And again, I’m not encouraging those with families that need their physical presence here in Taiwan. Just those without strong roots who have (or can quickly develop) marketable skills. Returning to the US should be an option for you now.

1 Like

USA: the new crypto.

I would think that US companies importing or manufacturing in China , may well be looking to move operations and purchasing to other SE Asian countries if the tariffs continue . Even if they don’t , I hope US companies will either make products themselves or use any other country to buy from if price sensitive .

2 Likes

Best place to retire must offer cheap and convenient healthcare, food, transportation. Taiwan is pretty hard to beat. Linkao retirement village near the Chang Gang Hospital at 40k per month room and board seems like a great place to retire.