If you're leaving Taiwan, can you get 勞保費及調整 refunded?

I just realized that I’ve paid an extraordinary amount into 勞保費及調整 over my years here. If I leave Taiwan is there any way to get it refunded?

勞保 is labour insurance. You won’t get any of that back, but thank you for your contributions to the Taiwanese welfare system!

The one thing you can potentially get a refund for is the pension system.

2 Likes

I’m looking at my pay slips and I only see a deduction line for tax, health card fees, and labor insurance. Is it normally split out? Or included elsewhere?

It should be split out, though there may be reasons why you didn’t pay into the pension system. In my case, I am the 負責人 of a company and because of that I don’t get a pension payment.

What’s the procedure for that?

I never left, so I wouldn’t know how it works in Taiwan.

But when I worked in other countries in Asia and paid into the national pension systems, I could apply for a full refund. The application can even be submitted years after you leave, in which case you get the money back with some sort of interest, which is either fixed or depends on the investment performance of the pension fund.

It ought to be refundable, especially if there’s no “pension sharing” agreement with your home country, but it doesn’t necessarily follow that it is refundable in Taiwan’s case.

I’m assuming there aren’t many people on here over 60 but has anyone on an ARC or APRC successfully claimed the old age benefits under the labour insurance?

It also states that the requirements are “those insured person who is more than 60 years of age and the insurance coverage year is less than 15 years and who resigns from his/her job and withdraws from insurance coverage”…

https://www.bli.gov.tw/en/0014668.html

So if one leaves Taiwan after working and paying labour insurance premiums here for a number of years but still maintains his or her APRC, could you technically come back at retirement age and claim your benefits? I assume that the same logic would apply to pensions under the new system as well?