I'm an acupuncturist (OMD) in Taipei

I would like to share with you a famous ancient medical case report.
It was recorded in the ancient history book “Records of the Grand Historian” (史記 Shǐjì) written by Sima Qian (145 or 135 – 86 BC)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Records_o … _Historian

The doctor’s name is “Bian Que” (扁鵲; ca. 500 B.C)

The article below came from here: english.eastday.com/e/zx/userobj … 59567.html
Bian Que’s real name was Qi Yueren (秦越人). He was reputed to be an excellent diagnostician, excelling in pulse taking and acupuncture therapy. He is ascribed the authorship of Bian Que Neijing (Internal Classic of Bian Que). Han Dynasty physicians claimed to have studied his works, which have since been lost. Credited with incredible healing knowledge, stories of his life and treatments are used in teaching and known to all Chinese medicine practitioners today.

In Sima Qian’s book Shi Ji, in Bian Que Chronicles, An Ancient Miracle Doctor: Bian Que (I), Sima Qian described that Bian Que obtained his medical skills from personal teachings by Chang Sangjun. Sima Qian also recorded three specific medical cases that Bian Que handled. In the first case, he diagnosed Zhao Jianzi’s illness by feeling his pulses. In the second case, he kept track of the state of the illness of the Crown Prince Guo through consulting, examining and feeling the pulse and finally brought Crown Prince Guo back from death. In the third case, Bian was able to describe the developing illness of Marquis Qi Huan by simply looking at him.

[color=#000080]Once Bian Que, along with an apprentice, went to the Kingdom of Guo (what is now part of Henan province) as a traveling physician. There they saw that the people of the city were busily running around and discovered that a funeral was being prepared for the king’s son. Bian Que went up to the door of the palace, asked someone what had happened. He learned that the king’s son passed away from a sudden illness and had already been dead for a half day. Bian Que asked in detail about the circumstances of the prince’s illness and death and came to believe that it was not certain that the prince was dead.

He requested to be let into the palace to examine the prince. After he entered the palace, Bian Que palpated the thick part of the prince’s thighs, and discovered that they were warm. He also detected a very slight sound in the prince’s ears, and diagnosed the prince as “body collapsed” (quite similar to shock), not dead. He then instructed his apprentice to set a single acupuncture needle, in the Baihui point (Du 20) on the head, and the prince regained consciousness. They then boiled some herbal medicine and used it for compresses applied to the prince’s armpits, after which he was able to slowly sit up. The prince was then prescribed boiled herbal compounds to be taken for twenty days, and fully recovered his health. Word of this spread, everyone was saying that Bian Que could bring the dead back to life. Bian Que said “No, I can’t bring the dead back to life, the prince wasn’t dead. I only treated his illness, and that’s what brought him around.”[/color]

Since the English translation do not include the detailed thinking process of Bian Que, I found the original record written in classical Chinese.
For those who might be interested in this case:
其後扁鵲過虢。虢太子死,扁鵲至虢宮門下,問中庶子喜方者曰:「太子何病,國中治穰過於眾事?」中庶子曰:「太子病血氣不時,交錯而不得泄,暴發於外,則為中害。精神不能止邪氣,邪氣畜積而不得泄,是以陽緩而陰急,故暴蹶而死。」扁鵲曰:「其死何如時?」曰:「雞鳴至今。」曰:「收乎?」曰:「未也,其死未能半日也。」「言臣齊勃海秦越人也,家在於鄭,未嘗得望精光侍謁於前也。聞太子不幸而死,臣能生之。」中庶子曰:「先生得無誕之乎?何以言太子可生也!臣聞上古之時,醫有俞跗,治病不以湯液醴灑,鑱石撟引,案扤毒熨,一撥見病之應,因五藏之輸,乃割皮解肌,訣脈結筋,搦髓腦,揲荒爪幕,湔浣腸胃,漱滌五藏,練精易形。先生之方能若是,則太子可生也;不能若是而欲生之,曾不可以告咳嬰之兒。」終日,扁鵲仰天歎曰:「夫子之為方也,若以管窺天,以郤視文。越人之為方也,不待切脈望色聽聲寫形,言病之所在。聞病之陽,論得其陰;聞病之陰,論得其陽。病應見於大表,不出千里,決者至眾,不可曲止也。子以吾言為不誠,試入診太子,當聞其耳鳴而鼻張,循其兩股以至於陰,當尚溫也。」

中庶子聞扁鵲言,目眩然而不瞚,舌撟然而不下,乃以扁鵲言入報虢君。虢君聞之大驚,出見扁鵲於中闕,曰:「竊聞高義之日久矣,然未嘗得拜謁於前也。先生過小國,幸而舉之,偏國寡臣幸甚。有先生則活,無先生則棄捐填溝壑,長終而不得反。」言末卒,因噓唏服臆,魂精泄橫,流涕長潸,忽忽承鑞,悲不能自止,容貌變更。扁鵲曰:「若太子病,所謂『屍蹶』者也。夫以陽入陰中,動胃繵緣,中經維絡,別下於三焦、膀胱,是以陽脈下遂,陰脈上爭,會氣閉而不通,陰上而陽內行,下內鼓而不起,上外絕而不為使,上有絕陽之絡,下有破陰之紐,破陰絕陽,色廢脈亂,故形靜如死狀。太子未死也。夫以陽入陰支蘭藏者生,以陰入陽支蘭藏者死。凡此數事,皆五藏蹙中之時暴作也。良工取之,拙者疑殆。」

扁鵲乃使弟子子陽厲針砥石,以取外三陽五會。有間,太子蘇。乃使子豹為五分之熨,以八減之齊和煮之,以更熨兩脅下。太子起坐。更適陰陽,但服湯二旬而複故。故天下盡以扁鵲為能生死人。扁鵲曰:「越人非能生死人也,此自當生者,越人能使之起耳。」

Here’s the same record in brief written in modern Chinese: changjk.pixnet.net/blog/post/199 … B%E6%A1%88

This medical record makes us realize how good the doctors are in ancient China and we should not only [color=#FF0000]take a detailed history[/color] but also[color=#FF0000] exam our patient comprehensively[/color]. The most important thing is get to know the [color=#0000FF]mechanism[/color] of how people get sick and treat accordingly.

One of my patient died a month ago, at the age of 96. He is a respectful veteran who had fought the war when he was young. The first time we met was in early February, 2015. He suffered from neck stiffness and neck pain with limited range of motion for years. He also has a problem of weakness of four limbs for the past 3-4 yeaars. Western medicine doctors told him that “aging” accounted for his symptoms and they didn’t do anything. Therefore, he came to TCM for help.

After the first treatment of acupuncture, he told his son that he felt much better so that they came regularly, twice a week, for the past eight months. After one week, I use herbal medicine combined with acupuncture to treat his weakness, since his symptoms indicate “deficiency ”虛證. It seemed that his condition was getting better, the ROM of his neck is improving and the pain reduced. The left upper limb and right lower limb was stronger and the range of motion also improved. I was also surprised to know that this old man’s will is so strong that he had been unable to walk for four different times in his life and he managed to be able to walk again. I’m glad that TCM could be of some help. There was some times when he feel a lot better, his son even told me that they wish he could live to 100 years old. However, his condition went up and down as time goes by. During the last couple of visits, all of a sudden, in less than two weeks, he had impaired vision and listening, along with poor appetite. The last time we met was Sept 24th, 2015. He then never showed up and later the nurse told me he passed away in early October in our hospital.

Yesterday, which is exactly one month after the death of my patient, his son came to my clinic in Tingchou branch to express their family’s gratitude. He said his father died in a good mood and very relaxed and peaceful. He came to thank me for making his father feel better. I guess this is the reason I’d like to be a doctor, although it’s a very demanding job. I love to talk with people, care about them and help them. There’s nothing more rewarding than a “thank” from patient and their family. What’s more, it’s a job that one could never stop learning. There’s always something new out there waiting for you. The more you learn, the more people you could help. 何樂而不為呢?

[color=#0000FF]
~ BIG ANNOUNCEMENT ~
[/color]

Recently some folks from Forumasa inquired me about whether TCM could be beneficial to their discomfort. Since some of them have to work in weekdays or live far away from our hospital, I was thinking about how I could do my best to offer TCM treatment to them. I asked the chief of my department about the regulations and the result made me surprised.

I actually could see patients and prescribe Chinese medicine and/or acupuncture in addition to those four clinic sections I had on Tuesday and Thursday.

[color=#FF0000] Since I’m here to promote TCM to foreigners, I’m willing to take foreign patients besides my regular clinic hours.[/color]

For people who wants to try TCM out there, if you plan to come, contact me through email of phone and I’ll do my best to find some time for you. Weekday evenings and Saturday morning are now feasible.

Looking forward to meet you!

It’s so interesting that patients with the same chief complaint usually came together on the same day.

This morning, three out of four new patients came to my clinic because of FATIGUE.
This afternoon, two new patients came to Tingchou branch for TRIGGER FINGER.

What a coincidence!

[color=#408000]Welcome to my new blog[/color]:

http://joey-tcm.blogspot.tw/

I’ll post more about TCM in both Forumosa and my blog.
Since I love music and all kinds of popular songs, I’ll also share some Chinese, Taiwanese and English songs I love with you in my blog. Take a look! Any question or advice are welcomed.

My youngest son is now 1Y3M, he suffered from intermittent cough with the voice of sputum in his lung for a couple of days. Therefore, I prescribed some herbal medicine for him. Although I choose those herbs in the flavor of “sweet.” it’s by no means an easy task for us to feed a toddler herbal medicine powder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_herbology#Five_Flavors
We blended the powder in his food or mix with his formula. We were also surprised that sometimes he can take two or three sips form a straw. Attaboy!

I had been prescribing and doing acupuncture for my family members since I became a licensed TCM doctor. I’m glad I use Chinese herbal medicine to cure my mom’s epigastric pain due to gastric ulcer. I also relieved her shoulder and upper limb pain by acupuncture. My father suffer from OA knee and insomnia, Chinese herbal medicine do relieve his symptom, although it took longer time for him. Not to mention the common cold or GI symptom that we usually encountered. I also do massage and manipulation on my wife very often when she complain about soreness in her neck, shoulder and back. When I get sick once in a while with URI or GI symptom, I prescribe TCM powders for myself.

I remember this quote from the book “Poor Charlie’s Almanack” :
[color=#0000FF]Don’t sell anything you wouldn’t buy yourself.[/color]
I’m glad my family trust me and I can help them with their problem.
I love my career!

My new clinic hours in January 2016:

Here’s the new hours start from February 2016.

Click below, the link of my blog, to listen to a classic song about Taipei!

There will be a case conference held by 台灣中醫病理學醫學會 (Taiwan society of TCM pathology) in my alma mater in Taichung tomorrow, Dec 13,2015. cmptw.blogspot.tw/

I will present an easy case. She is a 24 y/o Taiwanese student who suffered from [color=#0000FF]abdominal distension, acid regurgitation with postprandial vomiting [/color]for years. The result of panendoscopy (PES) acquired in our hospital showed GERD, LA grade A in 2010. Another PES result showed GERD with superficial gastritis in 2013. She received drug treatment and the result is not good enough for her and she stopped her medication. She came to my clinic five months ago because her father ,who suffered from constipation and insomnia, is also my patient. I used some herbs to treat her “[color=#0000FF]Liver Qi Stagnation[/color]” 肝氣鬱滯 and “[color=#0000FF]Upward Perversion of Stomach Qi[/color]” 胃氣上逆. (See link in my blog for detail description of these terms.)

The frequency of her vomiting reduces from three times a day to less than one time a day after two weeks herbal medicine treatment. We now try to maintain the effect and try to make her sleep better. Sometimes it’s hard for patient to cure since [color=#0000FF]lots of diseases/symptoms are caused by daily life habits[/color]. Therefore, it is always very important for us to educate patients how to adjust their way of life so that they can lead a better life, with or even without the help of acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine. :sunglasses:

The effect of Chinese herbal medicine on GERD is pretty good!

I will have a substitute clinical duty on [color=#0000BF]next Tuesday, Dec 22nd[/color] in the evening from [color=#0000FF]6-9 pm[/color] in TSGH Neihu main facility[color=#0000FF] clinic 162[/color].

Usually there will be not so many patients.

Feel free to come chat with me if you want to know more about TCM. (Free of charge for consultation.) :sunglasses:

Traffic Directions:
1.Motor Vehicle:Head towards the Sun Yat-Sen Freeway, then exit at Neihu interchange (exit no.9). Vehicles from north, please turn left; vehicles from south, please turn right and drive for approximately 1 km on Chenggong Road.

2.Taipei City Bus:
(1)Suggested Bus Line(s): Zhi Nan 6, 256, 286, 613, 630, 652, Brown 9 (BR 9), and Small 3 (S3)
(2)Suggested Community Bus Line(s): 0 East, 28, 240, 278, 284, 617, 645, 646, 903, Brown 1 (BR 1), Blue 20 (B 20), Blue 27 (B 27),Red 29(R 29),214,521, and 551

3.Community Shuttle Bus:
(1)Bus Route: Neihu Main Facility→KunYang Station, MRT→SongShan Train Station→Neihu Main Facility
(2)Bus Schedule: Mon to Fri 07:30 to 21:30, every half hour at the Neihu Main Facility(Sat from 07:30 to 12:30 every half hour)

4.Hospital Shuttle Bus:
(1)Bus Route: Tingjhou Branch←→Neihu Main Facility
(2)Location(s): Tingjhou Branch(at main entrance on 1F of Jieshou Great Building),Neihu Main Facility(wait beside main entrance on 1F of Outpatient Department

[color=#FF0000]Belated Happy New Year 2016![/color]

It had been a busy year in 2015. There are[color=#0000FF] 2,291 person-time visits[/color] in my clinic hours in 2015, and I hope it grows over 3,000 this year. My new year’s wish is to sharpen my medical expertise and communication skills. These two are just never enough for doctors to pursue since medical knowledge is boundless.

To be a good doctor, I’ll have to talk the patient into obeying my suggestion of adjusting their way of life in order to get rid of their discomfort. Sometimes the toughest issue I encountered was not patients’ physical or medical issue but mental issue. What’s more, it’s never an easy task to express your empathy sincerely when you have to control the time you spend on each patient accordingly. Sometime it takes time for them to say whatever they want to say. Sometimes patient burst out crying when they mention something really bother them and cause their health problem, it’s crucial for them to release their anxiety by sharing them to a doctor they trust, especially for patients with psychological problem. Therefore, I hope to equipped myself with strong interperonal and communication skills.

I will have a new clinic hour starting in [color=#0000FF]Wednesday afternoon[/color] since February and chances are good that there will be a Chinese medical pharmacy open this year in TSGH Tingchou branch. We’re hoping that more and more patient could benefit from our medical services.

Happy New Year!

Since I will be teaching a class "
[color=#0000BF]Traditional Chinese Medical Nursing[/color]
" in University of Kang Ning in Neihu, my clinic hours on Friday will be replaced by Monday since February 22nd

Before Monday, 22nd Feb

After Monday, 22nd Feb

This will be my first time to be a lecturer in university, teaching 51 nursing students some basic knowledge about traditional Chinese medicine. Must be so much fun!

[b]
[color=#0000FF]The Doctor’s New Dilemma[/color]

[/b]Suzanne Koven, M.D.
N Engl J Med 2016; 374:608-609February 18, 2016DOI: 10.1056/NEJMp1513708
nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NE … ?query=TOC

I read an article in New England Journal of Medicine today. This article talks about how we could help our patients solving their problem by caring a little bit more about their feeling, despite the fact that time is never enough for doctors. Nevertheless, since I began to practice as a TCM doctor, I enjoy chatting with patients about their life experience and things that bother them, which usually is the cause of their discomfort.

I’ll never get bored since the patient who came to see me ranged from 2-96 years old (according to my patients for the past few years), boys and girls, men and women and they do all kinds of jobs. By talking to them, I get to know how their way of life affect their body and mind. I have to find out the real problem and try to fix it accordingly. Not to mention the time we spend on medical record. Usually we have to do all these in 15-20 minutes for new patient in Taiwan. Here comes the doctor’s new dilemma.

“[color=#FF0000]Do I ask her what’s really bothering her and risk a time-consuming interaction? Or do I accept what she’s saying at face value and risk missing a chance to truly help her?[/color]”

[color=#0000BF]
Jeremy Lin received acupuncture!
[/color]

jlin7.com/blogs/journal/8552 … e-new-year

The needle used in U.S seems to be finer than the one used in Taiwan.

Let’s take a look at this interesting photo, the acupuncture needle is actually very very thin.

Last but not least:
Linsanity Lin plays hero for Knicks: youtube.com/watch?v=Ezmb1vZDlT8
Linsanity Official Trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=-e-nOQHawZI
Jeremy Lin Full Highlights vs Spurs (2016.03.21) - 29 Pts, Clutch LINSANITY!
youtube.com/watch?v=gJQjvvQYTLM

[color=#0000FF]
I’ll be a substitute doctor on this Saturday (26th, March) in the morning. (Clinic 162)
[/color]

Last week, a 30 y/o patient from Europe came visiting me. We had a great talk during the 20-30 minutes in clinic room. Although he’s leaving Taiwan soon, it’s still a great chance for me to demonstrate how Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) treats a patient, especially those diseases that can’t be cured or symptoms that haven’t been well controlled by modern medicine. I did some manipulation and acupuncture on him as well as prescribing herbal powder for him. He paid out of pocket, the total medical bill is less than $1,000 NTD.

At the end of the treatment, he mentioned: “[color=#0000BF]You look young.[/color]” I found that I’m one year older than he is. And he asked me about when did I start to learn TCM? I told him I was a TCM student and graduated in 2010, learning both modern medicine and TCM. The reason that some doctors look younger in Taiwan is because students go to medical school right after high school graduation, unlike most post-graduate medical schools in U.S. or in some countries.

Since I introduced myself in Forumosa on Oct, 2014, I’ve seen some foreign patients coming to my clinic for once or twice, since they’re only staying in Taiwan for a short period of time. Although I can’t evaluate the result of the treatment if they won’t come back, I would still be glad to welcome patients, friends from all over the world who would like to give TCM a shot. If you want to experience Taiwan’s culture, how can you not try Traditional Chinese Medicine during your stay in Taiwan? There were some foreign patients who came with no chief complaint at all, only want to experience acupuncture. And they pay out of pocket, since it’s way cheaper than the same treatment back in their country. To me, I’d be very glad to meet new friends from all over the world. :slight_smile:

Update my clinic hours in Tri-service General Hospital.
Since the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program is coming this Wednesday till Friday. I will have some substitute clinics.
Feel free to come see me if you need some health consult or are interested in acupuncture and herbal medicine. :slight_smile:

Here are some instructions:
joey-tcm.blogspot.tw/2015/11/map … tions.html

After eleven lectures delivered to nursing students in University of Kang Ning, I now change one of my clinic hours back to
[color=#0000FF]Friday in the afternoon[/color]
. Since there are fewer patients now, I would encourage you to come if you have any discomfort, just in case I get bored…LOL (Please come save me! Just kidding…) and I substitute 2 clinic sections in next week:[color=#008040] May 23rd (Monday) in the afternoon [/color]and [color=#008000]May 24th (Tuesday) in the evening.[/color] Usually there will be fewer patients.

It’s free of charge if we decide to treat you without acupuncture or herbal medicine. Since my purpose is to promote TCM to foreigners, I only want you to come chat with me and see how we might be able to help you.

We might not use any herbal medicine or acupuncture. One of the family member of my patient came to me after lung surgery recently. Her right upper lung collapsed after the surgery. Her chest surgeon said chances are that the lung might be collapsed forever. I taught her to do a [color=#0000FF]
Tao-yin
[/color]
to expand her chest and increase ventilation, now she feels better and the X-ray exam she received yesterday showed partial expansion of the collapsed lung. Although we can’t take all the credit, she believed we did help her a lot and expressed her gratitude to me. If you have some kind of discomfort that modern medicine might not be helpful, you are more than welcome to come give TCM a try.

I demonstrated one of the Tau-yin: “Headstand” to my nursing students, they went crazy. It’s really not easy to draw attention from teenage girls nowadays, if you’re not happen to be a smart phone or a mirror. LOL

After the lectures I delivered to them, I know more about how to introduce traditional Chinese medicine to those who have no basic knowledge about it. Although it’s time-consuming to prepare for the classes, I’m thankful for experiencing all these.

In the middle of June, there will be exchange students coming from Philippine to TCM department in TSGH. I’ll give them a lecture in English and make them experience acupuncture. I actually did the same to the nursing students, they went extremely hyper when I go to their seat and do acupuncture on them one by one. Most of them never have that experience before and since the acupoint we use are all very safe and commonly used, they all had a good time being needled and even ask for more classes on acupuncture.

Here’s the clinic hours for this month. It’s getting hot in Taiwan, especially in Taipei.

How can we stay comfortable during the hot summer? A famous Chinese herb formula, Bai-hu decoction, can solve this problem! However, it’s unnecessary to take medication, one could simply get the same effect by eating a specific kind of fruit.

Make a guess!
the answer is in the link below.

books.google.com.tw/books?id=hD … ng&f=false

This fruit can “clear summer heat, relieve thirst and promote urination.”
Make sure not to eat too much watermelon if you have a GI disorder. :no-no:

Here’s my clinic hours in June 2016. :sunglasses:

Here’s an article from TIME magazine, which I’ve been enjoying reading for many years.
time.com/4383611/acupuncture-alt … cine-pain/

There are some links connected to other websites, which provide some evidence-based information about acupuncture. You might want to take a look.

And my clinic hours in July

[color=#0000FF]Patient Testimonials in 1971 - First Time in U.S.[/color]

I just read these paragraph below in an Acupuncture article from Uptodate.
uptodate.com/contents/acupun … itle=1~150

“In the United States (US), traces of acupuncture appeared as early as 18th century and appeared in the early editions of William Osler’s Principle and Practice of Medicine. However, acupuncture did not enter the mainstream until 1971, when a New York Times journalist, James Reston, visited China and reported his experiences with acupuncture for postoperative pain relief.”

I used to think that Acupuncture become popular in U.S. because president Nixon visited China in Feb. 1972.
It’s interesting to know what Mr. Reston had undergone.

Here’s the whole article, share with you.
acupuncture.com/testimonials/restonexp.htm

August 2016 Clinic Hours

Thanks for the new forums! :relaxed: